All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 am 

Thrillist

Quote:
The World's Biggest Cruise Ship Just Set Sail, and It's Straight-Up Bonkers
Thrillist
Matt Meltzer
6 hrs ago

It had been a while since I’d played Aliens vs. Robots. But nothing really bonds you with a group of complete strangers like strapping on a set of laser tag vests, running around in total darkness, and aimlessly shooting at people you’re not sure are your teammates or your enemies. So this was how I figured I’d make friends aboard Royal Caribbean’s new mega-ship, Symphony of the Seas.

I’d been tracking this amusement park on the high seas for a while now, anticipating the unknown once it actually launched. The new ship -- the world’s largest -- also boasts the world’s largest glow-in-the-dark laser tag arena. And as I found myself sailing alone I teamed up with a group of Chinese journalists, who spoke about as much English as I did Mandarin. We did find that the language of laser tag is universal, and as we stumbled around this massive, dark course together, shooting at whatever we could find, we laughed like kids. Then we did what new friends always do: tallied our kills together. D'awwww.

(...SNIPPED)

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:43 pm 

I assume the top-heavy look is just an illusion? There seems to be a lot of open space inside the superstructure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:06 pm 

Crazy ship.

My wife and I prefer the much smaller cruise liners, 600 - 1000 passengers, not these floating cities.

Recently completed:
Panda 1/16 Pz.38(t)
Takom 1/16 Panzer I Ausf. B
Trumpeter 1/350 Severomrsk (Udaloy)
Trumpeter 1/350 Project 956E Sovremenny
Hobbyboss 1/350 Voltaire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:54 pm 

Ice-bergs, anyone?? :whistle:
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:48 am 

They are an eye-sore, a nuisance for those who are swarmed by their tourists (think of Venice, Barcelona, ...), and an environmental threat (because, for instance, they have to run their generators with cheap sulfurous oil, because harbours don't have enough energy to supply them), etc.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:59 am 

Admiral John Byng wrote:
I assume the top-heavy look is just an illusion? There seems to be a lot of open space inside the superstructure.

These ships are surprisingly low displacement for their external dimensions, something ~100,000t which is comparable to the Nimitz class that actually is a fair bit shorter. It looks ridiculous but there's nothing heavy in all those apartments (or the space between them).

Also, there are major design differences between a "cruise ship" like this and a "liner" e.g. QM2. The latter has different structural requirements to do with maintaining speed and seaworthiness in a heavy seaway (e.g. Atlantic crossing). The ships designed for summer cruisers in the Caribbean are built lighter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:02 am 

Is there a dock for him?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:55 am 

How about an on-board Formula-1 race track?
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 pm 

DavidP wrote:
is not wide enough for the cars to turn.

It might have a Go-Kart track too. :heh: :heh:

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:34 pm 

Vlad wrote:
Admiral John Byng wrote:

These ships are surprisingly low displacement for their external dimensions, something ~100,000t which is comparable to the Nimitz class that actually is a fair bit shorter. It looks ridiculous but there's nothing heavy in all those apartments (or the space between them).

Also, there are major design differences between a "cruise ship" like this and a "liner" e.g. QM2. The latter has different structural requirements to do with maintaining speed and seaworthiness in a heavy seaway (e.g. Atlantic crossing). The ships designed for summer cruisers in the Caribbean are built lighter.

Thanks Vlad. I had wondered whether there was a difference between these and "proper" liners.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:23 am 

Well, on a liner the hull proper has a much greater freeboard, with the "squishy" cabins only starting higher up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 pm 
As fair weather ships, cruise liners' superstructure are lightly built.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 am 

Vlad wrote:
Admiral John Byng wrote:

The seaworthiness demands for cruise ships are in fact very strict and they have to be able to survive extreme wind and waves, also in case of a power failure. Plus, wave slamming is of particular concern, both bow wave and stern slamming (they tend to have flat after bodies).

So they can all do this

Note that these cruise ships are much much larger than the older liners and, similar to these very large container ships, are naturally a bit more flexible than shorter hulls. I've been told that modern cruise ships do not have hallways from end to end so that you can see them flex!

(The hard metal-to-metal noise in the background in this last clip is propeller cavitation)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:28 am 

wefalck wrote:
(because, for instance, they have to run their generators with cheap sulfurous oil, because harbours don't have enough energy to supply them), etc.

Ships cannot use fuel with a high sulfurous fuels in many harbours so it depends on your level of acceptable pollution... In any case, this small pic isn't very encouraging!