The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:22 pm 
I recently had a long conversation with a former Marine officer who was stationed in the main director of the Sheffield during the battle, and to quote him; "I had a particularly good view of the whole affair".
He is currently writing up his wartime naval story, which he says that I can have a copy of; there are no plans to publish at this time.
He talked about the German destroyer creeping up unseen on the Sheffield due to the latter being fully involved with the two big German units. The German destroyer thought that the Sheffield was the Hipper and flashed her recognition signal. Sheffield replied by sending back the same signal! This gave enough time to train the guns on the enemy.
The Sheffield began to use 6" tracer shells as a target locating measure, which actually appeared to have worked. Firing then began from the 6", the 4" and the pom poms, all at the same time. He said that within one minute the German ship was finished"
At some point during the barrage, "some idiot", loaded one of the 6" with a full flash shell, which blinded everyone on the bridge and in the director. The culprit was never found.
There is much more of course, but I thought that this small piece would be of interest to a few people, especially as it comes first hand from one of the gunnery officers, probably the last one left alive.
To me, it speaks of a well trained crew able to move focus from one situation to another in seconds. Additionally one of the signalmen must have been able to understand German; a very useful talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:01 pm 

Interesting will this gentlemen allow others to read his war memoirs?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:04 pm 

ar wrote:
He talked about the German destroyer creeping up unseen on the Sheffield due to the latter being fully involved with the two big German units. The German destroyer thought that the Sheffield was the Hipper and flashed her recognition signal. Sheffield replied by sending back the same signal! This gave enough time to train the guns on the enemy.

Since the Sheffield and the Hipper look NOTHING alike, the destroyer deserved to be sunk. Interesting stuff, would love to hear or read more of this gents account.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:34 am 

ar wrote:

.........There is much more of course, but I thought that this small piece would be of interest to a few people, especially as it comes first hand from one of the gunnery officers, probably the last one left alive. .......

Apart from my own interest in the first-hand account, have you heard that Norman Friedman is releasing a book on naval fire control this autumn ? Maybe you could get the two parties in contact with each other ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Naval-Firepower ... 987&sr=1-1

Naval Firepower: Battleship Guns and Gunnery in the Dreadnought Era (Hardcover)

by Norman Friedman (Author), A. D. III Baker (Illustrator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:31 am 
I did mention it two or three weeks ago, but as the book was already being proofed it was probably too late for anything to be included.

phil gollin wrote:
ar wrote:

.........There is much more of course, but I thought that this small piece would be of interest to a few people, especially as it comes first hand from one of the gunnery officers, probably the last one left alive. .......

Apart from my own interest in the first-hand account, have you heard that Norman Friedman is releasing a book on naval fire control this autumn ? Maybe you could get the two parties in contact with each other ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:53 am 
MartinJQuinn wrote:
ar wrote:

Since the Sheffield and the Hipper look NOTHING alike, the destroyer deserved to be sunk. Interesting stuff, would love to hear or read more of this gents account.

In the haze one blob look like another.

-Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 am 
I read an account that said Sheffield only ever used the Y turret to engage the German destroyer, and sank the German destroyer with just 2 salvos from that 1 turret.

- Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:33 am 

phil gollin wrote:

I have this on my wants list, I just hope it covers each Navies in similar depth and is NOT USN dominated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:28 am 

Anonymous wrote:
MartinJQuinn wrote:
ar wrote:

In the haze one blob look like another.

-Chuck

Trained lookouts should have been able to discern the difference between your own ship and the enemies. Especially if you got close enough to communicate via signal lamp.l

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:40 am 
As a PS, the Captain of Sheffield had ordered the ramming of the German destroyer upon first contact, but this was withdrawn very shortly after being given.
The gentleman was also at North Cape.
When I receive more information, I will post something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:56 pm 

Interesting in the extreme!:big_grin: Lets hope this man's account will be preserved in some manner. Would he submit his personal account to the IWM for inclusion in their records? A good idea as they have alot of other source material of this nature, i.e. first hand accounts of naval service. :eyebrows:
Reminds me of a debate on another web site I had a few years back where I quoted a RN officer who was a spotting number in the PoW's aft main director in the Bismarck affair. Of course this other fellow discounted first hand accounts as most likely flawed! So, I asked: "Where does history come from then, if not from witnesses"?

Bob B.