The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gGxKwnkaGU&feature=related

This is from Saka no ue no kumo (坂の上の雲) a docu-drama that recently aired on TV regarding the life of Akiyama Saneyuki - Chief of Staff for Combined Fleet during the ZRusso-Jpanese War. Pretty convincing CGI - what will be possible in 10-20 years? :cool_2:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 pm 
Gone Asiatic:

Thanks for pointing out the link to the video, which is nicely done. I love the shell splashes. Cinematography has progressed a lot since the 1950's version of the 1904 naval war.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:03 am 

Indeed. What will be achievable in only 5 years? Comparing the results from this docu-drama with the same theme screened 15years ago on the History channel {I still have the old VHS tape} where the so called special effects was far from convincing. Reproducing naval battle scenes has always been difficult for movie makers { remember the movie "In Harms way" } but seeing this one certainly convinces me that it is now possible to generate a real sense of reality , now what would it be like in 3D!!!!. Thanks for the link :thumbs_up_1:
Dave Wooley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 am 

In the summer of 1983 I made my one visit to Tokyo. During the four days I was there I saw a movie at the cinema about Tsushima. It was naturally in unsubtitled Japanese, but very dramatic--they used the actual Mikasa for many scenes.

Any of you know of such a film from that period (early 80s)? It would be neat to see a subtitled version today.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 pm 

Several aspects of the CG in this movie really added to the realism:

1. Muzzle flash and gun smoke. They looked realistic, not like the awkward, stylized crap seen in CGs just a couple of years ago.

2. Bow wave and wake. Damn these look good, even compare to all out efforts at the same thing from a few years ago, like those seen in Cameron's Titanic

A couple of aspects still screams CG to my picky eyes:

1. The shell splashes

2. Funnel smoke still look like painted on smudges, not the three dimensional roiling mass like real heavy dense smoke of real coal burning ships.

But getting there.

Now how about a all out effort at battle of Jutland?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:00 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Gone's link is not working anymore, however i found another video , enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ze4-iFEL4

Jose :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 pm 
I thought i was in luck as our local library has part 1 and part of the DVD sets for Clouds over the Hill. I borrowed # 2 thinking the action scenes would be in this set. Alas, the fighting scenes are in part 3, which was not purchased by our library system.

Some time ago I bought earlier the Battle of the Sea of Japan starring Toshio Mifume. He looks more convincing as Admiral Togo, but the story line in my DVD was poorly edited together.

Anyway, the CGI in Clouds is as good as it gets in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:41 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
I've been meaning to buy "Battle of the sea of Japan" and "Admiral Yamamoto" luckily i found this website, movies are subbed in english and remastered copies. prices are not that bad considering these titles are hard to come by i'll buy them as soon as i can. There are others that i might buy too in good time..

http://www.japanesesamuraidvd.com/.sc/m ... 20Movies/1

Jose :wave_1: