The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:17 pm 
Alliance Model Works
Alliance Model Works

Hi, guys,

Have a batch of new items to release (within 2 weeks), here to submit a quick preview.
Before that, a small announcement. We have a replacement etched sheet for the 1:350 SMS Vulkan kit. The changes are:
1. Replaced the side-to-side planking with in-lline arrangement. There was no data clearly showing one way or the other, but base on suggestions, especially from Jim Baumann, we felt it was appropriate to make the change. A section of the deck also is now smooth (without planks).
2. In the original design, we neglected the fact that some of the outboard railing had 3 horizontal lines. This is now corrected and the new etch will be supplied with kits bought here on. Any modeler had previously purchased the kit and wished to acquire new etch can contact us directly, or go through the distributors where they obtained the product.

OK here's what's coming
in 1:350
3 types of IJN bollards. Basically for DD, cruisers and battleships. They are in 16, 16, 20 packages (some BB used up to 10 pairs) and come with both types of bases (etch). Sometimes the ship kit had pretty nicely molded base, wouldn't be necessary to replace those.

5 types of IJN mushroom vents. We did these for USN and they were resin. The Japanese ones are bit smaller and had shallower cuts, we felt they would be better machined. Each type would be one product, comes in package of 12. These pictures aren't sized correctly, they don't differ in size that much.

price on these machined things can be touchy issue, and we don't yet have a precise pricing, but safe to say less than $10 a package.

We already had a Japanese radar set, here's our USN WWII radar set. This set will only include these variants illustrated, all commonly used during the war. No FRAM II or picket radar... The set will come with resin bases (some our sample builder chose wrong, I noted on the pictures). We used 0.15mm brass, so some the more complex constructions looked a bit thick, but this is so they can be easily built, material gotta be a little forgiving (and he built these samples in 1 night, maybe we went overboard a little :big_grin: ). Shape and dimension wise they should be very accurate.

Awning stanchions. This is labeled "for IJN", but we all know post dreads used them. The commonly seen ones are just 2 types, we included both.

Also flightdeck safety net sets for USN and IJN. The Japanese used them on all sorts of ships, but for USN, really just CV-2 and 3. Some the earlier ones might had a section or two but not all around the flightdeck like those two ships.

2 last items in 1:350 are "dynamic propellers" for IJN and USN carrier planes. I don't have built examples yet, guess best way to illustrate the idea is showing you guys an example in a different scale (1:350 ones have roughly 1/4 amount of lines). The 350 sets are going to come with many copies for each type of propeller, and also stationary options. We had 7 types of planes picked out for each set, that's most of the types saw actual combat.

It had been a while since we released all the 1:700 shipyard diorama items. Here are 2 new editions, YD-117 and YD-72 floating cranes.
There was probably another built according to YD-117's specifications, but we know YD-72 is one among many that were the same. We chose to do these 2 because both pontoons were more universal (than others), and we can probably do the other types of cranes sharing these bases.

I'll update you guys when these items are released, and hopefully by that time I could disclose some our bigger projects. :cool_2:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:32 am 

Some nice stuff there!
I like the idea of the dynamic propellers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 am 

ARUGH... I may have to upgrade my Chevalier with your USN set.

Dude, your radar sets are top notch. I had a hard, hard time assembling the SC-2 radar that came with my Chevalier, but DAMN it looks good.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 am 
Alliance Model Works
Alliance Model Works

We'll definitely post some examples of 1:350 planes with dynamic propellers. The idea is that these wires are so thin, from a distance they become indistinguishable, leaving just a circular blur. Compared to the more traditional ways like transparent plastic/film, this etched option has barely any thickness, so it also doesn't collect as much dirt over time or become less transparent.
For some of the plane types you'd want to preserve the plastic spinner. Etched pieces (some need to be pressed into shape) are included, but you'd probably want a more three-dimensional look if it was cone-shaped. Easy to handle in 1:350 though, even if one needed to make some out of putty.

Building radar in this scale I think is mostly about cleanness. Use as little glue as possible, especially when sticking on those perpendicular antenna elements.
We have a little tutorial on our webpage for working with etch, and there's a section on the mini funnel way of applying CA.
I find myself trying very hard not to have patches of glue residue, and if the material was brittle, or difficult to shape (stainless steel) then it sometimes became too much to worry about, and I wouldn't be able to concentrate on obtaining that cleanness. More durable, softer materials help a bit in that regard. The little extra tolerance for correction allows one to focus on the more important aspects.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:06 pm 

Very helpful sets :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:47 pm 

On a slightly different note, do you ever anticipate releasing a PE set for the other DML destroyers?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 pm 
Alliance Model Works
Alliance Model Works

Hi, Petrol.
We aren't sure about full detail sets at the moment.
I mean, whether to include certain component or not is usually down to each's own opinion. I don't like the fact a lot of the kits didn't have blastbags, and to produce a replacement would had required modified version of the barrels. One person might want resin blastbags to fit the turrets and then machined barrels to fit on top of the resin, another person might turn to putty or simply ignore the bagless gun mounts.
A full detail set pushes a lot of components, some of that contents would be considered unnecessary by many modelers. We are looking into making detail sets that would only include the non-universal elements, generally for structural parts that are unique to the ship, upgrades for funnel, mast and bridge, that sort of things. Then modelers can pick out of the catalog of standard items, weapon systems, ladders, railing, porthole and hatchcovers, etc.

We'd like to release a ship specific detail set for dragon's benson class, but they kept taking kits out of production, making it troublesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 pm 

Alliance,

I really appreciate the reply, and trust me, the sporatic releases from Dragon don't just frustrate you. I've spent a long time tracking down a Scharnhorst. The ships I have came from a model show significantly under price.

Regarding the Benson class, PE, you have a PM. I had some comments on the Gearing-class set.

What's your ETA on the radar set?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 pm 
Alliance Model Works
Alliance Model Works

We are packaging this new batch of items. Release should be around 2 weeks from here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:30 pm 

Cool stuff!
:thumbs_up_1:

In Progress:
1/350 USS Bennington (CV-20)
1/144 USS Greenling (SSN-614) - ACAD/3D Printing
1/144 USS Batfish (SS-310) - ACAD/3D Printing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:24 am 

Excellent products as always.

I would also like to chime in and vote for a Benson set. If nothing else, at least an aft searchlight platform with etch railing to depict the cone shape not offered by any set currently out there!

BW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:27 am 
Alliance Model Works
Alliance Model Works

Hi guys,

Just an update that the batch of items are released are all available.
We added 2 small items for 1:350, Ammo containers for 25mm type96 and 20mm oerlikon.
25mm has 10 of these big crates and 40 smaller containers: Image
there were many kinds of containers for 20mm, we did the studded type. Each package comes with 50 copies.

There's also a fantasy / steampunk submarine we will release soon, drawing instructions and such. Probably not gonna float the boat for some of you, just a project for fun, and sort of a getaway from all the historical research :D
It's 1:144, about 20cm head to toe. We will probably do other things of similar nature in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 am 

That submarine is amazing.

I just ordered a bunch of USN PE from you guys off of Battlefleet Models... looking forward to dressing up my Indianapolis.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:34 am 

Wow I love the submarine, I'll definetly get one.

Maybe you can do a similar steampunk vessel in 1:700?
I would love to buy something which is in my regular building scale..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:59 am 

I ordered and just received a TON of USN photo etch from Alliance yesterday. I ordered the USN wires/deck equipment, hatches, 40 mm ammo reload racks, and ladders. I have nothing but praise for the quality of the products.

If you've got a 1/350 subject, do give them a look.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:01 pm 
Alliance Model Works
Alliance Model Works

thx patrol. We're working on other shipborne weapons in the scale, in the same configurations, resin+etch+machined parts.

braxat, the reason we do those fantasy things in 144 is so we could also make some land and aerial vehicles. Those are generally smaller, and in 1:350 or 700 they would had been tiny :D
Our 1:700 line focuses on diorama aspects, since it's virtually the only scale one can build naval dioramas. They would be enormous even in 1:350.
I just finished drawing the 350 hammerhead crane from Norfolk (another identical one was at brooklyn navy yard) and it was almost 15cm long. In 350 it would had been 30cm, and outside the boundary of the construction material/techniques.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:55 pm 

Are you all planning any more dedicated PE sets? I know you've mentioned DML kits will be unlikely, due mainly to their limited stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:25 am 
Alliance Model Works
Alliance Model Works

Ya, unlikely at the present.

It's my belief that sets for specific kits can only offer limited options (also quantities), and isn't necessarily the best way to approach ship subjects. Modelers are left with more choices when details are sold type by type in separate packages, even obtaining couple extra or unused pieces for practice wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, especially on the trickier constructions.

In all honesty though, most type by type details we sell don't include that much extra. German rail for large vessel in example, you'd be lucky to have 20% left after a bismarck, and that's if you were very careful and didn't waste any. If that was given for the exact quantity like in full detail kits, chances you'd end up not having enough, and had to go buy a railing set just for those do-overs.

What full detail sets save you is the time to research, more specifically the time spent to determine what you wanted to upgrade/modify and what to leave in injection plastic. In practice, they have a lot of shortcomings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 pm 

I love the awning stanchions! Brilliant!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 pm 

could the bollard and stachion be used on other navy??