The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 pm 

Hi Steve,

Received your crane for the CV6 Merit kit and it is awesome!!

Just wanted to ask you have any plans to do some upgrade parts for Revell's old Yorktown Class (Battle of Midway) carrier kit. Specifically speaking of the 5" guns, 20mm, 50 cal, new island/fighting top, aft boat deck and A/C handling crane as well. As they say, it never hurts to ask!!! :cool_2:

Kelley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:09 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks so much, Kelley!

Actually the CV-6 crane was done by another designer. But very well done!

Yep, Yorktown class islands coming very soon. [edit: all three islands are available now: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Mo ... Revell&s=0]

Photos: Scalemates.com

Attachments:
155767-10571.jpg
155767-10571.jpg [ 61.29 KiB | Viewed 3717 times ]
234262-12192-32.jpg
234262-12192-32.jpg [ 53.6 KiB | Viewed 3717 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 am 

ModelMonkey wrote:
I'm going to pass on Arizona cranes for now. From a business perspective, the Pennsylvania cranes were too labor-intensive and PE already exists for AZ cranes.

Think I'll take some license here and use the post and structure of the Pennsylvania cranes, and add the PE booms and fine parts I already have. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:51 am 

ModelMonkey wrote:
Thanks so much, Kelley!

Yep, Yorktown class islands coming very soon, designs of several variations, and one of the scales offered will be specifically for Revell's "Battle of Midway Carrier" kit. I have that kit and the hull shape is terrific. The flight deck has great potential. With new island options and perhaps some hangar deck goodies, with some PE and a little TLC that kit can be made into a contest winner.

Ooooops!! Sorry Steve and to the other designer!! I will have to go back and look to see who I ordered it from. I guess I was following the progress of the Pensy cranes and assumed you had done the CV6 crane also. Well, you know what they say about "assuming"...

:woo_hoo: That is FANTASTIC news Steve!!! I can hardly wait!!! You're right - the hull is perfect (no plating to sand!) and flight deck is very good. But everything else above really needs improvement. I didn't even consider the hangar deck so I'm excited to see what you have in store for it!!!

Anxiously waiting!!

DavidP wrote:

DavidP,
Thank you very much for those links!!!

Kelley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:08 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

For your Merit 1/350 scale USS Intrepid CV-11, thanks to Jon Ryckert, new bridge parts are in design with open windows.

Here's the design for 3D-printed parts to replace kit parts J37 and J32 (Admiral's Bridge). The design for these parts is about 80% complete. The spacing of features seen here matches the kit's parts which aren't quite right. Some dimensional tweaking will be made so that this design will better match photos of the real ship. This design isn't intended to be just 3D-printed versions of the kit's part with open windows, but a much more accurate set of replacement parts.

Replacement parts for J36, J12 (Navigating Bridge), J8 and J35 (PriFly) also coming and will all be offered together as a set.

Jon was kind enough to send me the kit's whole island to examine. Many measurements later, here you go:

Attachments:
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.a.jpg
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.a.jpg [ 62.3 KiB | Viewed 3564 times ]
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.b.jpg
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.b.jpg [ 62.4 KiB | Viewed 3564 times ]
CV-11 1967.05.28 021103.jpg
CV-11 1967.05.28 021103.jpg [ 64.97 KiB | Viewed 3563 times ]
CV-11 2012 3038367101_79276c84b6_z.jpg
CV-11 2012 3038367101_79276c84b6_z.jpg [ 100.96 KiB | Viewed 3563 times ]

-Steve L.

Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:52 am 

ModelMonkey wrote:
ArizonaBB39 wrote:
Here's why: once a design is complete, the design has to be prepared for printing. If the file size is too big for Shapeways, like this one, the design has to broken down into parts (separate files each < 64 mb) that can be 3D printed separately. This is because the maximum file size that can be uploaded to Shapeways is 64 mb, (1 million polygons).

The file size can't be determined until the design is nearly complete. When this one came in at 588 mb, work had to be done to break the model down into sections that are logical for the modeler and printable by the printer. They are then, unfortunately, offered for sale separately. In an ideal world, both cranes would be offered together, fully assembled but still rotatable by the modeler. This one is offered in parts, yet can be fully rotatable if so desired.

Hi Steve:

Thanks Steve for doing these cranes. The images of the completed cranes look great. I got notice that the cranes had shipped. I am presently out of town and won't be home until March, but; that being written, I am grateful and duly appreciate your efforts and the time to make them. Hopefully you will recoup your time and investment.
Thanks again

On the bench:

1/200 USS Enterprise, CV-6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:01 am 

Really looking forward to that Intrepid bridge. The deck plans of intrepid on page 153 of Raven's Essex-Class carriers, as well as the head on photo on page 128 show the window to be on the centerline, not the frame.

and Very Fire PE, Model Monkey parts
1/350 Fujimi Shokaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:49 am 

Excuse me, Missure, I do not wish to interrupt. My name is Inspector Jacques Clousseau. I'm afraid I must inquire, do you have a license for your minkey?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:47 pm 

ModelMonkey wrote:
Thanks so much, Kelley!

Yep, Yorktown class islands coming very soon, designs of several variations, and one of the scales offered will be specifically for Revell's "Battle of Midway Carrier" kit. I have that kit and the hull shape is terrific. The flight deck has great potential. With new island options and perhaps some hangar deck goodies, with some PE and a little TLC that kit can be made into a contest winner.

Photos: Scalemates.com

Ok so now you are a mind reader. I have a Revell Yorktown and Revell Battle of Midway. I wanted to do a CV-5 circa 1938-1939 and a Battle of Midway Enterprise. I have a GM set for the CV-6 but would be very interested in an '38 or '39 Yorktown Island.

What hangar deck goodies are you thinking about and would you be doing the 5" 38 Cal gun mounts? Oh and some 1.1 in quad AAA mounts for the 1940-1941 time frame would be great too.

And the things the kits really need are the aircraft. Some F4Fs, and TBDs for Midway and some F3Fs, SBC-3s and BT-1s for the yellow wing era would really be cool.

At any rate looking forward to this....
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:58 pm 

You can already get really high quality 5"/38 mounts, and Quad 1.1" from either 3D modelparts, or Fine Molds Nano Dread stuff.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:41 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Brocky wrote:
....What hangar deck goodies are you thinking about and would you be doing the 5" 38 Cal gun mounts? Oh and some 1.1 in quad AAA mounts for the 1940-1941 time frame would be great too.

And the things the kits really need are the aircraft. Some F4Fs, and TBDs for Midway and some F3Fs, SBC-3s and BT-1s for the yellow wing era would really be cool.

At any rate looking forward to this....
Thanks

Thanks, Brocky!
I'l have to pass on hangar deck products in favor of other designs.

Regarding the planes, other designers offer planes so I will pass on these in favor of ship and armor designs.

MatthewB wrote:
You can already get really high quality 5"/38 mounts, and Quad 1.1" from either 3D modelparts, or Fine Molds Nano Dread stuff. MB

Highly recommend 3DModelparts.

Here's how the Intrepid bridge design is coming along. It's getting closer to the ship's appearance, not quite, but much closer. Thanks to those on the CASF thread for Cold War Essexes who provided some good information! I hope to receive confirmation regarding the bridge window positioning on Thursday by a volunteer who works on the ship. Thanks to Bob and Darren and all else who offered assistance!

The bridge levels on the actual ship are offset more to port than Merit's kit depicts and the window arrangement is different. This design captures those differences as well as open windows.

If there is enough interest, it looks like there is enough information available to make separate designs for Yorktown, Hornet, Ticonderoga, Lexington, Hancock and Oriskany at this point, hopefully more, depending on demand.

A modernized island design is also in the works for Revell's Essex class kits and for 1/700 models depicting their straight-flight deck 1950s configuration. That whole-island design could be offered in 1/350 for Trumpeter's straight-flight deck kits but the modeler will have to remove some of the aft end of the raised locating base for the island on the flight deck and new planking in that area scribed to match the existing kit's planking.

Modernized islands were shorter than their original, World War Two design. The aft end is cut forward quite a bit.

Attachments:
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.c.jpg
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.c.jpg [ 85.27 KiB | Viewed 3299 times ]
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.d.jpg
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.d.jpg [ 96.5 KiB | Viewed 3299 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:12 pm 

I'd love to see some 1/600 RN replacement parts

1/600 Airfix Fearless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:26 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

JayW wrote:
I'd love to see some 1/600 RN replacement parts

Here you go:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Mo ... +Ships&s=0

-Steve L.

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 pm 

Greetings! Just wanted to begin and say I bought your 1/700 Saratoga 1936 bridge for my Trumpeter kit and it is outstanding! I'm looking forward to getting the other Saratoga-related parts.

Speaking of 30's-era USN, are you planning any backdate sets for the Trumpeter Big 5 BB's? I'm especially interested in backdating the USS California to her mid 30's fit so she can fit in with my Sara.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:42 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Canal Watcher wrote:
Greetings! Just wanted to begin and say I bought your 1/700 Saratoga 1936 bridge for my Trumpeter kit and it is outstanding! I'm looking forward to getting the other Saratoga-related parts.

Speaking of 30's-era USN, are you planning any backdate sets for the Trumpeter Big 5 BB's? I'm especially interested in backdating the USS California to her mid 30's fit so she can fit in with my Sara.

Thanks so much!

Tennessee class fighting tops are available now in several scales including 1/700 and 1/350.
1/700: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Mo ... ctures&s=0
1/350: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Mo ... ctures&s=0

Thanks again for your patronage! Really glad you like the Sara '36 bridge!

-Steve L.

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:28 am 

Getting the 2D plans for a lot of ships is a hassle.

I have been forced to basically do my own for a 1942 South Dakota, based upon back-dating a set of 1945 plans.

The Basic Tower structure did not change.

And for some of the 1942 Superstructure decks, I can use Mathematica to get dimensions based upon Linear Coordinate Transforms.

They might not be accurate to the inch, but I can get to within the foot, which is around .0125" in 1/700 scale.

For 1/350 or 1/200.... The Dimensions might lead to a larger error.

I have a rough sketch of the Superstructure above the deck already done (Plan and Profile, and working on a Plan of each deck).

But I now need to get the actual plans.

And.... I have finally got the plans for the Mk. 28 5"/38 Twin Mounts dimensioned. So I can do a 3D model of those turrets for BBs (with provisions to allow for the use of brass barrels).

HOWEVER... Back to the Superstructure and plans for the Big 5...

A Tennessee would be nice to see... That is really the only Big 5 that I have much interest in.

And the Carrier bridge is looking beautiful. It gives me hope that I can just get the Nagara Bridge done as a 3D print, rather than with PE.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:15 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

MatthewB wrote:
Getting the 2D plans for a lot of ships is a hassle.

I have been forced to basically do my own for a 1942 South Dakota, based upon back-dating a set of 1945 plans...

I know your pain

MatthewB wrote:
...And the Carrier bridge is looking beautiful. It gives me hope that I can just get the Nagara Bridge done as a 3D print, rather than with PE.

MB

Thanks, Matt!

Thanks to confirmation of window placement from a volunteer aboard the real USS Intrepid CV-11 yesterday (thanks, Jerry, via Bob!), the Merit kit's flag bridge window placement is not correct. There should be a window forward, not a window frame. Also, thanks to Darren "AdmHawk", we now know that the bridge decks should be offset more to port than is depicted in the kit. Their centerline should NOT match the centerline of the island.

PriFly's windows should extend deeper as well (lower - they are not the same as the bridge windows) and all the rooftop windows should extend deeper inward than is modeled by Merit. The structural ribs on the splinter shielding exterior is a bit different, too. The kit's ribbing better matches Lexington's PriFly (Intrepid's has fewer ribs).

I don't mean to be overly critical of Merit's kit. It is superb and has been shown to build into a contest-winning model as-is. There is always some room for improvement in every kit and that's what this design hopes to accomplish. The inaccuracies listed above have all been addressed and corrected in this new design.

So, here's the design so far capturing the information from Bob, Jerry and Darren. Some tweaking is yet to be done and detailing but you can get a flavor of how this will look when complete.

The blue portions will be for the Merit 1/350 Intrepid. What's in yellow is a 10% design for the whole island for Revell's 1/530 modernized Essexes.

Attachments:
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.e.jpg
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.e.jpg [ 82.38 KiB | Viewed 3054 times ]
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.f.jpg
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.f.jpg [ 92.27 KiB | Viewed 3054 times ]
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.g.jpg
ModelMonkey Intrepid Bridge.g.jpg [ 53.65 KiB | Viewed 3054 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:45 pm 

Great work! I certainly hope you will be doing a Yorktown and Enterprise island in 1/200 for the Merit Hornet!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:25 am 

How about a corrected 1/720 CV-62 USS Independence Island (circa 1979, pre CIWS)?
-Same with Forrestal, Sara and Ranger.
I can help with island Photo refs, possibly do some drawings for this. Let me know.

Corrected CV-66 USS America Island (circa 1983) for the Italeri kits.

Revell 1/540 CVB-42 Island corrections.

How about a hurricane bow and angle under structure (customer can scratch build the flightdeck) to make a CVA-42?

I can't wait for the Intrepid Island fixes.

Regards,
Stephen Mudgett

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:29 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks, Steve!

Detailed PM coming your way.

Just need help with accurate references. I'm looking forward to adding these projects to the queue!

-Steve L.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next