The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 am 
PontosModel
PontosModel

Hi all
Today I noticed that there is another wrong design for this Hood set.
So I will start make the Second correction parts and distribute these to anyone who asked to me or to our dealers.

Following two correction PE are needed to your final works.

And maybe from November 2017 some modification of PE #5 will be corrected with #5-2 and this new version need not correction PE.

So if you don't have PE #5-2 you should ask these two correction PE frets of above from us directly(this is better way) or from your dealer.

It is the best and fast way to my email directly as with Subject title : Hood Corrections
I may miss to reply to so please email with your postal address information for getting this correction parts.
I think we can start to ship this from November.
Generally it will take 7-10days to Eurpe or US continental.

Thank you for your purchasing our sets again and we will do our best until your finishing your work.

Thank you
Keumho Kim

http://pontosmodel.com
Shop: http://hobbydecal.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:49 pm 

Good evening Keumho Kim

Would you please provide me with the update set PE #5-2 for HMS Hood. If possible, I would like to collect from Scale ModelWorld on Saturday 11th November? I look forward to your reply, many thanks!

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:22 am 
PontosModel
PontosModel

Well some parts will be broughht to Telford and Sovereign Model.
And #5-2 is included on new packed set (instead of old #5) from November after stocked old #5 is vacanted..
So #20 and #21 correction PE frets are enough for all who owned this set.
Keumho Kim

http://pontosmodel.com
Shop: http://hobbydecal.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:59 pm 

Instruction Clarification: On page two of the instructions the deck on the right showing the positioning of the various lockers and bitts also shows four unidentified rectangular features - one on either side of the breeze way and one each inside of the large bitts. These are depicted in brown on the paper instructions and in grey on the digital instructions. My question is, what parts do they represent?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 pm 

Instruction Clarification Answer: Well, I found the answer. The four parts are 'ventilation trucks' and are provided in the kit rather than by Pontos which is why there are no Pontos reference numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 pm 

Mr. Kim.
Another observation on the instructions.... regarding the photo instructions for the HACS at the lower right of Page 13, the white resin on a white background leaves me at a loss and reluctant to proceed given the high probability of getting it wrong. Is there any possibility of providing an amendment to the instructions on line providing greater detail on the procedure and placement of parts? As an aside, the attached photo shows the current state of my model which only embodies changes/enhancements called for by the Pontos Detail Up set.Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:50 am 

I hate to post this but.... I'm working on the main guns (Page 15) and the instructions call for three hinges (?), Part 838 on each range finder end cap (836 & 837). Two end caps per turret times four turrets equals a need for 24 parts. On photo etch sheet 12, I can only find 18 pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am 

A-turret should have a different rangefinder hood (aft corners have been cut off). Perhaps that is depicted correctly in the model?

Attachment:
A-turret.jpg

(Old style rangefinders, but same for later versions)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:49 am 

It is depicted correctly on the model... and the Pontos set has the correct end plates in each case too.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 16.44.17.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 16.44.17.png [ 398.93 KiB | Viewed 4441 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:50 pm 

The issue is not the end plates provided, it is the number of right angle hinges (Part 838) required for each end plate. As indicated, three are required for each end plate giving a total requirement of 24 hinges. I can only find 18 such parts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:52 pm 

My apologies but once again I have more bad news regarding the turret assemblies. The structure added to the starboard side of X turret extends too far back when assembled as directed and would impinge on the rear superstructure when traversing. I can see no way of correcting it. Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:40 am 

I immediately took my X-turret from storage to check and it is a very very close fit (actually contact in my case). Once of the reasons we knew that the aft 4" emplacement could never have had this round enclosure we saw on older drawings. Anyway, this structure was reconstructed from what photographs we (I &Frank Allen) could find and working backwards from the "obstacle arc", i.e., a sweeping arc of all obstacles around the turret that defined the aft end of this rack. It does appear the Ponton part extends too far.

Shameless plug; just look at that gorgeous deck detail I added :big_grin: I can do plank nibbing too...

Attachment:
X-turret problems.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:04 pm 

SovereignHobbies wrote:
Hi folks,

We got in 10 of them, I think. I've seen at least 2 go so far.

This time we have stipulated 1 fret per customer since last time we had them one person took them all (probably to sell on at an inflated price).

We have a stock of the 23009F1 1/200 HMS Hood sets in again too.

I have tried repeatedly to get a hold of you people ... I have heard nothing back.. I would like to purchase an extra Pontos funnel fret !! Pease contact me regards Bill Code

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:22 pm 

EJFoeth wrote:
I immediately took my X-turret from storage to check and it is a very very close fit (actually contact in my case). Once of the reasons we knew that the aft 4" emplacement could never have had this round enclosure we saw on older drawings. Anyway, this structure was reconstructed from what photographs we (I &Frank Allen) could find and working backwards from the "obstacle arc", i.e., a sweeping arc of all obstacles around the turret that defined the aft end of this rack. It does appear the Ponton part extends too far.

Shameless plug; just look at that gorgeous deck detail I added :big_grin: I can do plank nibbing too...

Attachment:
X-turret problems.jpg

Is it possible that the structure was folded up when the current need to rotate?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 am 

I don't see how that would be possible given the size and nature of the structure. I think it is simply a matter of something being out of scale. Now whether that be the location of the turret or the size/position of the added structure on the turret is beyond me. All I know is that with it installed, you cannot traverse the turret once the rear splinter shield is installed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Bill Code wrote:
SovereignHobbies wrote:
Hi folks,

We got in 10 of them, I think. I've seen at least 2 go so far.

This time we have stipulated 1 fret per customer since last time we had them one person took them all (probably to sell on at an inflated price).

We have a stock of the 23009F1 1/200 HMS Hood sets in again too.

I have tried repeatedly to get a hold of you people ... I have heard nothing back.. I would like to purchase an extra Pontos funnel fret !! Pease contact me regards Bill Code

Us people?

We received one message from you via here which I responded to only for it to bounce back due to undeliverable email address. I had a tonne of other contacts to deal with as well as Telford to pack for and had to move on.

Please use one of our proper business channels (e.g. company email address or customer contact form on webstore) so that it can be tracked until answered :)

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:33 pm 

Grizly wrote:
The issue is not the end plates provided, it is the number of right angle hinges (Part 838) required for each end plate. As indicated, three are required for each end plate giving a total requirement of 24 hinges. I can only find 18 such parts.

Yep... I found exactly the same problem.

I ended up using a combination of 838 and 839... using (the correct) 839 on the upper hinge and 838 on the lower, so there was consistency across all turrets. I couldn't find parts numbered 838 elsewhere in the instructions, I searched and searched for them, but to no avail...so unsure what happened here... they were either an earlier attempt to draw the hinges and then forgotten about... or I have just used parts from a potentially very visible section which has managed to elude me and which I may later come to regret :cool_2:

I have also come across the issue mentioned by Grizly regarding the platform on X turret.

It is indeed out of scale. At first glance it seems that each section isnt a square as it should be, but a slight rectangle (longitudinally)... It could be that which is making the whole platform too long. I need to look into it more, but it looks like I will have to scratch build this section using the existing PE frames from Pontos as a starting point, utilising the brackets and re-doing the actual square sections.

I suspect there will be quite a few areas on this set where we will have to alter/rework/rebuilt sections of the update set... but perhaps Pontos may want to look at Fret #12 and rework/redesign it for future buyers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 pm 

Grizly wrote:
I don't see how that would be possible given the size and nature of the structure. I think it is simply a matter of something being out of scale. Now whether that be the location of the turret or the size/position of the added structure on the turret is beyond me. All I know is that with it installed, you cannot traverse the turret once the rear splinter shield is installed.

If you look at this image posted on Calling all HMS Hood ... the remenants of catapult structure is not present. The 'walkway' is high enough to pass over the shield of the 4 inch mount. So either the catapult structure was removable/foldable or slid in towards the turret or it was higher so that it passed over the shield and acted here as a walkway.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4702&start=440

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:54 pm 

The version I built from photographs allows for full turret rotation with the structure in place so there is no need for folding. This pic shows a very unfoldable structure:

Attachment:
X-turret structure.jpg

This pic is from 1941 (don't have an exact date); it is still there. Pics taken in May 1941 show the platform as well (can't repost those).

Attachment:
Hoodsheltdeck41.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:46 pm 

Hi EJ...

Are you sure that first photo is X turret and not the earlier platform on B turret?

It just looks like a completely different structure to me...

I am working on this section at the moment and I think I am rapidly going 'platform blind'... So if its the change in angle and its foreshortening the end brackets and mounting, I wouldn't be at all surprised! The ends of the Rangefinders have the later end caps, so its unlikely to be the earlier platform... but I'm probably just confusing myself!

I was lying awake last night trying to think of ways of building it accurately and using as much of the Pontos PE components as possible... some of the detail is exceptionally good, but the size and overall shape seems wrong to me. Rather than square sections, they are very slightly rectangular... and I think that error, small as it is, is enough over the two three 'square' sections to make both sections too long.

So I was laying there half asleep working out how to cut the PE in sections and re-assemble them to the right size... but I think I decided (before I eventually fell asleep) to just build a new one from scratch utilising the support brackets, which look very good, and building two entirely new platform top sections.

(Or at least I think thats what I decided!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next