The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:28 am 

Just quickly, it looks like a crop from the well known photo of Hood on her way out to face Bismark... I will have to look through my references to be certain, but I am remembering it quite well...

EDIT:

Found the picture I was thinking of...

Attachment:
hoodmay1941.jpg
hoodmay1941.jpg [ 47.35 KiB | Viewed 12084 times ]

Last edited by Bill Livingston on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:30 am 

This one, taken the 22nd of May 1941:

Attachment:
Hood-22May1941-1S.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:33 am 

:thumbs_up_1:

Thanks EJ... seems we crossed paths while I was editing my post... :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 am 

The starboard aft cable was different to port - straight(ish) with transitions from single to dual cable. There’s a collection of photos elsewhere on this site illustrating this. The Pontos set appears to match these well. I’ll have a look at my etched fret to check against the photos and find a link to the set of pics.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:32 pm 

EJFoeth wrote:
This one, taken the 22nd of May 1941:

Attachment:
Hood-22May1941-1S.jpg

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 am 

Are my eyes deceiving me??. Take a look at the two photos and tell me that the top section of the mainmast
appears to be either white or a very light colour. Maybe just a trick of the light - but.... ??.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:03 am 

The main topmast is white, so that would mean your eyes are fine :thumbs_up_1: That would include that part of the topmast below the starfish. The gaff appears to be white as well.

This image from the HMS Hood association shows it more clearly:

(I have a larger version that shows it more clearly but cannot post a snippet)

This was already documented here: http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tips/hoodpaint.htm

HMS Hood association wrote:
Mast tops (starting from its base aft of where the three tripod legs came together) to include the flag gaffs were painted white to avoid standing out on the horizon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:27 am 

Damn!!. Must have missed this in all the writings about "Hood". Have already assembled and painted the
main mast, so hope those who are less informed will not notice. Oh well ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 am 

Timhan wrote:
Damn!!. Must have missed this in all the writings about "Hood". Have already assembled and painted the
main mast, so hope those who are less informed will not notice. Oh well ...

Remove the railing, do some masking and hit it with a coat of white. I ripped apart my completed bridge assembly because the foremast was off by a millimetre.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:00 am 

Methinks it might be too late in my case. The main mast is completed, installed and fully rigged with all the stays, rigging and radar
in place. The area around the base of the mast is also finished, including the helm signals. The only way i (might) be able to
correct this error is with a very fine brush, but instinct tells me to leave alone. Sigh......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:47 am 

The Photo on page 27 of the thread is of the port side, and I believe its showing the degausing cable on the port side, but my info reads that the degausing cable follows a similar line on the starboard side to the port side, I'm just wondering if anybody else has picked this up...?

apologies for the late reply

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:49 am 

P.S. Thanks steve.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:03 am 

Found what I was looking for, found it on the Hood society, one old photo of the Hood on her starboard side, quite clearly shows the degausing cable on the starboard side DOES in fact differ from her port side... it would seem that the details in the book HOOD an illustrated Biography 1916 - 1941, got it wrong, just like a great deal of other sources....

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:53 am 

Degaussing cable runs at constant height at the starboard quarterdeck area, if that is what you mean.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:27 am 

Big Build wrote:
Found what I was looking for, found it on the Hood society, one old photo of the Hood on her starboard side, quite clearly shows the degausing cable on the starboard side DOES in fact differ from her port side... it would seem that the details in the book HOOD an illustrated Biography 1916 - 1941, got it wrong, just like a great deal of other sources....

Thanks

Replying to this one a bit late. Well, adding onto it actually. Of course, you know this already, but I'm throwing this out there for others who are considering doing a similar build and are considering sources:

That book is, without doubt/hands-down, the single best history of H.M.S. Hood. When people ask me, as the "Hood guy," if I had to pick ONE book, that would be it (well, one historical book- if it came down to drawings/technical, it would be a hard decision between the Northcott and Roberts titles!). Bruce's book does have many excellent photos as well...but the exterior computer drawings were done (and published) at a time before we had rediscovered many details about the ship's final configuration. There are also some artistic elements incorporated. So, while certainly stylistic and decent overall representations of the ship (big picture), they aren't an end-all source in themselves. We recommend folks check EJ Foeth's website, our (Hood Association) model articles and of course this most excellent forum. Whatever you do, steer clear of Kagero Profile Morskie 63 and the like. They may be reasonably priced and full of details, but the good outweighs the bad. Trumpeter used these sources...and that's why this particular thread exists!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:47 pm 

EJFoeth wrote:
The main topmast is white, so that would mean your eyes are fine :thumbs_up_1: That would include that part of the topmast below the starfish. The gaff appears to be white as well.

This image from the HMS Hood association shows it more clearly:

(I have a larger version that shows it more clearly but cannot post a snippet)

This was already documented here: http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tips/hoodpaint.htm

HMS Hood association wrote:
Mast tops (starting from its base aft of where the three tripod legs came together) to include the flag gaffs were painted white to avoid standing out on the horizon.

The A turret also seem to be of a distinctly lighter color than the rest of the ship.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm 

chuck wrote:
The A turret also seem to be of a distinctly lighter color than the rest of the ship.

Yes, it sure was. If you closely at this and other photos from Jan-mid May 1941, you’ll also see that not only is “A” lighter, but “B” is darker than the rest of the ship (except of course for the black bits). We have no idea why this was.

Of course, colour-wise, Hood was painted differently than this when she was sunk (she was later repainted in all over standard HF grey). Of course, the black bits (funnel tops, upper tripods and starfish) remained black and the upper mainmast above the starfish remained white. You can see this in the 22 May 1941 photos a few posts above. Those images convey exactly what she looked like when sunk. This earlier, April image does not, but is IS invaluable for showing her configuration (there were no major structural changes after this…just paint).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:57 am 

Hi all.

Just noticed something amazing on Large Funnel sheet 5 from the set -

Attachment:
IMG_1696 (2).jpg
IMG_1696 (2).jpg [ 374.4 KiB | Viewed 7192 times ]

Part 410 appears to be the patch that was added to the rear funnel when damaged by shrapnel. This has been etched directly on to the rear funnel surround, but not, of course, the front one.

Just goes to show the care and attention that Pontos have given this set!

Thank you Pontos!

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:21 pm 

I have two questions for Hood enthusiasts: one regarding the paravane booms (page 2 of the Pontos instructions) and the other regarding Denton rafts (same page). First question. There are parts provided for four booms and the Pontos build gives you the option of having them erected or stowed with the instructions showing an erected boom just aft of the forward port breakwater and a stowed boom behind the starboard side. Other Pontos photos show a third erected boom on the port side between the fore and aft breakwaters. Since I wish to install only the one erected boom on the port side, my question is: while one stowed boom can be added on the starboard side, where would the other two be stowed? My second question. Any idea where to locate the Denton rafts? The following are recent pictures of my build. While I have endeavoured to adhere to guidance provided in the Hood Association website, you can attribute errors in my build or my nomenclature to the fact that I have a 'light blue' rather than a 'navy blue' background.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:43 am 

The Denton rafts appear to be scattered around the ship and a few can be spotted. A large number can be spotted near the small radio office (the small structure between the funnels). Many of then were spotted in the region below the boat deck, at the inside of the bulwark. Just a bit of luck we noticed these, so I think you are free to scatter them around the ship in places were you cannot see them well...

I think I decided not to add the paravane derricks at all, but I have not seen any pics that show them stored when not in place (i.e., when not folded to the deck). Perhaps in the breakwater lockers (Not sure if they fit). Also, three derricks? Northcott has 2 paravane derricks listed for Hood.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next