The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:48 pm 

Sorry, but I can help you a little.
But I do not know all the details.
Maybe someone else can give some more information?

Attachments:
grizly.png
grizly.png [ 31.07 KiB | Viewed 7746 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:35 pm 

Grizly,

My little help for finding the quarter deck or super structure:

http://www.engr.mun.ca/~cdaley/5003/ship_terms.pdf

But there will be better ways to find out what is ment by super structure.
Like giving Google the words: "HMS Hood quarter deck" and it will show us the quarter deck in pictures and words.
That's my way of translating it into Dutch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:41 am 

Builder, Again, your input is greatly appreciated. I'm currently painting both funnel assemblies and once done I will turn my attention to adding the bell to the rear of the quarterdeck/aft superstructure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 am 

a polite word to Pontos, I do feel that you should revisit the resin parts in the kit, some of these are far too small/fragile to do in resin, I wonder how many rejects you have? so far I have battled through but only from using great care, I'm not looking forward to the 0.5 inch MG's whose housing alone are likely to fall apart as soon as they are touched. These things have to be handled to construct and I suspect will fall apart when attempted? Also there are many air holes in things like the cleats and R24 fixings. IMHO these should have been done in white metal and brass etch. I have no idea why the chain lines for the anchor cables have been done in resin either when they could have been done in etch which would have been far more suitable. My other concern which I mentioned before is the lack of written instructions, this isn't a cheap kit and I think such things should be addressed in the future..

kind regards

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:28 am 

Hi all

Does anyone know if there is any manufacturer of 3d printed stud link anchor chains in 1/200 scale?

I bought one at floatingdrydock.com for my Bismarck and it really looks great. Unfortunately they seem to be discontinued and the manufacturer seems to have given up (I think it was quite complicated to make them).

But maybe technology has advanced since then and making them is easier now. (When I google, I find links from 2013)

This chain looks great on my Bismarck and I want one for my upcoming Hood build, as well as my current Rodney build.

/matts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:53 pm 

I found some 1/200 studded link chain on shapeways, especially for the Bismarck. Same designer also has chains for other ships. See link below.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AJ5HT366L/1-200-dkm-bismarck-anchor-chain-bow?optionId=62818320&li=marketplace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:47 pm 

That one looks great. I'll check it out

Thanks a lot!

/matts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am 

For those who have the skill and will, there is a tutorial of how to make your own stud chain in one of
Harold Underhill's books. The book in question is "Plank on Frame Models and Scale Masting & Rigging - Vol. 2".
There is an easy to understand text, plus a sketch on how it is done and the tool involved. I confess that i have
not tried to make such a chain, but might just try and see how i go. The book in question has long been
out of print, but am sure Amazon or Google might point you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:18 am 

I have found a major error in both the Trumpeter kit and the Pontos set. The main formast, the front mast of the tripod does not project all the way down to watever lower level of the hull it should, main deck level I think. Indeed there is a visible opening on two of the lower levels of the main bridge superstructure where the formast section of the tripod should be visible. As my build is well advanced I am going to cut sections of the original plastic mast and try to insert them onto the decks: the Admirals signal platform and the conning tower platform.

Pity Pontos didn’t pick this up as it would of made for a much simpler build of the forward tripod mast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:22 pm 

Hi all. I’m new to the forum but I’ve been following this thread with interest as I’m wanting to start my 1/200 Hood. The problem is I want to use the Pontosmodel set and the spare funnel fret but the only source I can find is hobbydecal and there is no provision there to order the spare fret. I’ve emailed them but no reply and Pontosmodel doesn’t have a contact either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help gratefully received.

I promise to start a build thread if I ever get started.......

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:12 am 

Sthewitt wrote:
Hi all. I’m new to the forum but I’ve been following this thread with interest as I’m wanting to start my 1/200 Hood. The problem is I want to use the Pontosmodel set and the spare funnel fret but the only source I can find is hobbydecal and there is no provision there to order the spare fret. I’ve emailed them but no reply and Pontosmodel doesn’t have a contact either. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Any help gratefully received.
I promise to start a build thread if I ever get started.......
Steve

I bought my Pontosmodel set by Souvereign Hobbies in the UK and in the aftermarket sales they send me the spare funnel fret and some other small things for a shipping price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:25 pm 

Well 4 months on and I’m still without the spare fret 5. I was expecting Pontos to bring some to Telford but they didn’t. All the same I bought the hood set together with the Bismarck set. Mr Kim promised to send me a spare fret 5 ( I had spent nearly £500 after all) but going into 2019 it hasn’t materialised and after 5 emails to help@pontos I haven’t received any reply. Not the sort of after sales service I would have hoped for. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:20 am 

Sthewitt wrote:
Well 4 months on and I’m still without the spare fret 5. I was expecting Pontos to bring some to Telford but they didn’t. All the same I bought the hood set together with the Bismarck set. Mr Kim promised to send me a spare fret 5 ( I had spent nearly £500 after all) but going into 2019 it hasn’t materialised and after 5 emails to help@pontos I haven’t received any reply. Not the sort of after sales service I would have hoped for. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement.

Really? That is disappointing and odd.
I had an issue where I found that one piece referenced in the Pontos 1/350 Missouri "Battleship" version was not present anywhere on the PE spru. So I wrote to the same email address and I had the part within 2 weeks. Granted they sent the single part and not the whole spru. :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:49 am 

Interesting - did you get a reply by email to confirm or did the parts just arrive? I’m hoping the fret has been sent but it would be nice to get some contact just so I know where I stand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 pm 

Sthewitt wrote:
Interesting - did you get a reply by email to confirm or did the parts just arrive? I’m hoping the fret has been sent but it would be nice to get some contact just so I know where I stand.

Yes actually they did.

Quote:
To: help@pontosmodel.com
July 17, 2018
Hello
I purchased the 35011F1 1/350 Missouri Battleship Pontos upgrade set.
The set may be missing some parts.
Particularly part #579 for the Antenna is completely absent from the PE#5.
#579 is shown in the detailed instructions and images.
Was the part omitted for the “BATTLESHIP” version?

July 20, 2018
Hi
We have shipped this 579 today.
You will get this within 2 weeks.
Keumho Kim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm 

Thanks Epsilon. Looks like the emails are just being ignored then. Shame when the products are so good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:21 am 

After finally getting through to Mr Kim at Pontos the spare fret arrived today. :big_grin:

There was one sent in November but that one didn't make it. No excuses for not getting this one on the stocks now.....

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:16 am 

Hello All,

I hope this post finds you relatively happy, and you are marching on with your builds, I might have missed something, but I think I've found and error/mistake in the Pontos Detail kit... I was just applying the port holes included in the detail kit, when I noticed the following...

On the port side of the ship, at the rear section forward of the rear guns, the degaussing cable drops down just before it raises or jumps up to the main deck... now most, if not all my reference photo's point to this being the same on the starboard side...

I'm hopping anybody can clear this up, or if Mr Pontos can comment on this.

Cheers and thanks

Adrian (AKA Big Build)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 am 

Attachment:
portdegaus.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 am 

What photo is this? I can’t recall seeing it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next