The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 pm 

Looking great, Steve!!!

Just in case you start to run low on future projects, just a little reminder about the Revell 1/487 CV5/6/8 hangar deck interior. :cool_2:

You know.....just in case. :big_grin:

Kelley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:50 pm 

Funnel cap for Graf Zeppelin as built in 1/350?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:02 pm 

Dan Banks wrote:
Funnel cap for Graf Zeppelin as built in 1/350?

Interesting idea...

And on that subject, perhaps the forward part of the bridge, with the windows open (including the front ones, missing from the kit?)

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:37 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks for the suggestions!

After a review of sales data for the first quarter of calendar year 2017, I regret to say that I'm no longer accepting requests for projects to be added to the queue, for custom designs, for product alterations, or for commissions. Hopefully, there are existing products, or a product or two from the queue, that will be a big help to you.

The following comments are not intended specifically in response to Dan's or Sean's request, they are generalized and intended to inform the market. Thanks, Dan and Sean for your continued interest and patronage!

Please be advised that if you (any modeler) has a special product in mind, you can hire a designer on Shapeways. Link: https://www.shapeways.com/hire/designer?li=footer

A few things to consider before putting your project up for bid:
1. Please be advised that designers for hire are not researchers. You'll have to provide all of the references including fully dimensioned, scaled 2D drawings from which the designer can make your 3D product. 3D designers cannot produce a product from a bunch of NavSource photos. Designers will not buy reference material to produce your project. The product designed can only be as good as the references you provide. Garbage in, garbage out.

2. 3D designers are professional CAD designers. They don't work for free nor do they need the practice. For custom work, designers typically require the requester to pay for all of the design time, up front, which can be very costly depending on the complexity of the design. Some designers charge by the hour, some by the project. Either way, please don't expect these talented people to work for minimum wage or for the value of a McDonalds Happy Meal. They will be charging you a professional rate for professional work.

3. Designers for hire are experienced and know how the market works. Promises like "if you design this, it will fly off the shelves" in lieu of paying their fee, will fall on deaf ears.

These general comments will hopefully help modelers begin productive discussions with designers you might consider hiring.

-Steve Larsen
Catalog: https://modelmonkey.wixsite.com/modelmonkey

On the ways:
1/350 USS Saratoga CV-3 ('44)
1/350 USS Yorktown CV-10 ('45)
1/192 USS Missouri BB-63 ('45)
1/350 HMS Duke of York ('45)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:24 pm 

Hi Steve, Will you be making the South Dakota 16"/45 turrets available in 1/700 scale?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

PM coming your way.

-Steve Larsen

On the ways:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:12 am 

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear that you're not accepting any more projects or requests for the queue. Are you still going through with the 1/700 South Dakota class turrets?

Thank you,
Louis

P.S. If and when you take requests again, post war Iowa class BB's had the armored range finders removed from turret no. 1.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:15 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Frank Fowler wrote:
Hi Steve, Will you be making the South Dakota 16"/45 turrets available in 1/700 scale?

opspec wrote:
...Are you still going through with the 1/700 South Dakota class turrets?

Thanks Frank and Louis!

I'll try to have the SoDak turrets done in 1/700 tomorrow (Wednesday). [edit: DONE!]

Thanks again!

-Steve Larsen

On the ways:

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 pm 

Steve, maybe this is as good a time as any to say something I'm sure we don't say enough: thank you for all the neat things you've done for us, and for all the projects we've wanted for so long that you've now made possible. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jodie Peeler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:28 pm 

jpeeler wrote:
Steve, maybe this is as good a time as any to say something I'm sure we don't say enough: thank you for all the neat things you've done for us, and for all the projects we've wanted for so long that you've now made possible. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jodie Peeler

Seconded.

I wish everyone who wanted Steve to make something would put there money where their mouths are and BUY something from him (yes, I know some have). Support our vendors folks!! And not just Model Monkey!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 pm 

And I will THIRD it!!!
Steve, thank you very much for all of the products you have designed thus far!!! Still hoping for the best. I'm glad your current designs will be available!

I especially thank you for all your help on the Yorktown class island designs!!! I enjoyed working with you on CV5 (and somewhat 6) immensely!!

Kelley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Jodie, Martin and Kelley, thank you so much! Really, really appreciate your comments and support.

Frank and Louis, your SoDak turrets are ready in 1/700 scale!

Link: http://shpws.me/OlIR

Attachments:
1-700 16in-45 South Dakota class Turrets.jpg
1-700 16in-45 South Dakota class Turrets.jpg [ 29.72 KiB | Viewed 678 times ]

-Steve Larsen

On the ways:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks to all who have supported Model Monkey with encouragement and patronage!

The project queue at the beginning of this thread has been updated: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=164638. Hopefully, there is a project or three that appeal to you.

Please be reminded that I regret to report that am no longer accepting requests for new designs.

-Steve Larsen

On the ways:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:52 pm 

Hello Steve, noticed on you queue#32 Deutschland class projects, Adm. Scheer, are you thinking of supplying the revised bow and superstructure for 1940 version or the earlier configuration that was almost the same as Graf Spee?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:43 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Dan Banks wrote:
Hello Steve, noticed on you queue#32 Deutschland class projects, Adm. Scheer, are you thinking of supplying the revised bow and superstructure for 1940 version or the earlier configuration that was almost the same as Graf Spee?

Hi Dan!

Thanks for the interest!

Shooting for 1940. At this writing, research and market analysis are far from complete. Ultimately, it will be whatever the available references best support in combination with whatever the market is willing to pay for. It would likely be superstructure only, no bow parts. But from the few drawings I have, perhaps most modelers who enjoy conversions could make the 1940 bow modification themselves.

Thoughts?

-Steve Larsen

On the ways:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:53 pm 

the atlantic bow can be done by building up the bow using layers of plastic using the bread & butter method then carve to shape.

Steve, what drawings do you need?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:37 pm 

Something on the queue I hadn't noticed before, line 25: Oklahoma 1941 superstructure (1:700, I hope!). This interests me greatly for a project I've already started (and would save me the trouble of scratchbuilding it!) I know this verges on a request, but the line 25 does say Nevada-class, so... is a Nevada '41 superstructure possible also?

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

DavidP wrote:
the atlantic bow can be done by building up the bow using layers of plastic using the bread & butter method then carve to shape.

Steve, what drawings do you need?

Hi David,

Authoritative, dimensioned drawings of each deck, and a dimensioned profile view, both port and starboard, would be ideal. A graphic scale or ruler can work in lieu of dimensions. A stationing ruler on the drawing can work if the distance between stations is annotated.

As always, any help is appreciated!

By the way, I completed fighting tops for your 1/426 (1/429) Oklahoma and Nevada conversions. Links:
Fore Top: http://shpws.me/OJzf
Main Top: http://shpws.me/OJCv

Hope you like them. I'm working on Colorado class twin 16" turrets now, a set with external vent trunks on Turrets 1, 2 and 4 for Colorado and Maryland, and a set without trunks for all ships as-built and West Virginia through Pearl Harbor. I'll get to the Nevada class twin 14" turrets soon. Thanks for the research help! [edit: DONE!]

And speaking of Nevada:

SeanF wrote:
Something on the queue I hadn't noticed before, line 25: Oklahoma 1941 superstructure (1:700, I hope!). This interests me greatly for a project I've already started (and would save me the trouble of scratchbuilding it!) I know this verges on a request, but the line 25 does say Nevada-class, so... is a Nevada '41 superstructure possible also?

- Sean F.

Hi Sean,

Aye, Cap'n, I have BoGP drawings for Oklahoma 1941 but not Nevada 1941. So Oklahoma is a go. But without Nevada drawings, I could not make an accurate design for her. I haven't yet compared photos of the two ships' superstructures but suspect there are noticeable differences (aren't there always?!). If differences are significant, I'm afraid that Navsource photos, while very helpful in discovering differences and identifying details, aren't enough to make a fully accurate 3D Nevada design. What is needed is dimensioned 2D drawings of each deck, and a dimensioned profile view, both port and starboard, would be ideal. If drawings can be found, I will add Nevada to the queue as I believe there is sufficient market demand for the project in 1/700 and 1/426. Just need sufficient references to do it.

Please let me know if you can point some out to me. Also, please be advised that I cannot afford to pay for research for individual projects but must rely on what is available in the public domain.

Hope this helps and thanks to you both!

-Steve Larsen

On the ways:

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:32 pm 

ModelMonkey wrote:
Aye, Cap'n, I have BoGP drawings for Oklahoma 1941 but not Nevada 1941. So Oklahoma is a go.

Good Lord, you are going to bankrupt me!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 pm 

ModelMonkey wrote:
Hi Dan!

Thanks for the interest!

Shooting for 1940. At this writing, research and market analysis are far from complete. Ultimately, it will be whatever the available references best support in combination with whatever the market is willing to pay for. It would likely be superstructure only, no bow parts. But from the few drawings I have, perhaps most modelers who enjoy conversions could make the 1940 bow modification themselves.

Thoughts?

Let's start by echoing the previous thanks for all the outstanding products you have produced thus far Steve. My modeler's group remains in awe of the examples I have presented there. All of the the products I have purchased are simply first-rate.

I recast my vote for the Scheer in his 1940 commerce raid configuration. Drawings and the Heller 1/400 kits can help guide a bow reconfiguration, though a deck extension with proper bow tip and high-mounted anchor recess shapes would be helpful in fabricating the bow extension below. It appears that only Scheer had wood decking almost to the bow tip and anchor recesses vs. hawse pipes.

Special Navy U-Boot Type XXIII 1:72
Revell DKM Bismarck 1:350
Tauro RN Fiume, Pola, Zara, Gorizia 1:400
Heller DKM Admiral Scheer 1:400
Revell DKM Schnellboot S-100 1:72

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next