The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:13 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Shapeways has announced that they have changed their pricing model for Frosted Detail products effective today. Generally, this will be great news for most customers.

Analysis of my shop indicates that out of nearly 840 products, about 600 Model Monkey products have decreased in price. 71% of Model Monkey products are now cheaper, some modestly so, some dramatically so.

About 170 Model Monkey products will stay about the same price.

Very large products, unfortunately, are now more expensive. About 70 Model Monkey products (8% of the shop), the very largest like 1/96 scale turrets and a 1/200 scale Lexington funnel, for example, will increase in price. Those affected by big price jumps were already extremely expensive.

The new pricing model more accurately reflects the actual cost to print a product in Frosted Detail plastic and better takes into account the amount of supporting waxy material (the waxy material costs less than the plastic), which is melted away and discarded after printing.

Please be sure to look through my catalog and see if the product(s) that interest you have benefited from the new pricing model.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:37 pm 

I have been chatting to another Shapeways' shop owner, from whom I have purchased in the past, about these process and pricing changes. This designer mainly produces figures and multi-part items of various scales which he says will all require redesign. He is estimating his prices on these items will increase by between 100-300% and some items dropped from his catalogue as they may not be able to be easily redesigned or too costly to produce.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

That would be a shame for him if his figures and multi-part products actually increased in price like he estimated they would. Hopefully his estimates were proved incorrect by the actual pricing changes made effective only today. Perhaps a re-analysis of his shop may prove less dour. I hope so for his sake and for his customers.

Fortunately for Model Monkey products, most have become noticeably cheaper, especially for scales 1/700 through and including 1/350. The price decrease for these products is real, not an estimate.

-Steve L.

Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:19 pm 

rotley wrote:
I have been chatting to another Shapeways' shop owner, from whom I have purchased in the past, about these process and pricing changes. This designer mainly produces figures and multi-part items of various scales which he says will all require redesign. He is estimating his prices on these items will increase by between 100-300% and some items dropped from his catalogue as they may not be able to be easily redesigned or too costly to produce.

Is this "Holden8702"? I got a message from him too, claiming huge price increases from Shapeways, which seem to contradict some of Shapeways' own claims.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:21 pm 

I have just had a quick look at his Shapeways shop and a couple of items I purchased last April for $US15 are now costing between $US26-28. Not a massive increase in price but still fairly substantial. At least at this stage it looks like the items will stay in production.

BTW Steve I am not sure if I ever sent you a message but I had previously bought your 1/350 HMS Hood funnels and turrets/barrels as well as the DKM SL-8 Rangefinders. They are superb.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:25 pm 

biggles2 wrote:
Is this "Holden8702"? I got a message from him too, claiming huge price increases from Shapeways, which seem to contradict some of Shapeways' own claims.
:wave_1:

G'day biggles2 (my favourite books to read when a young boy :smallsmile: )

Yes, it is. As I said above There has been price increases on items I previously bought from him.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:38 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

rotley wrote:
...BTW Steve I am not sure if I ever sent you a message but I had previously bought your 1/350 HMS Hood funnels and turrets/barrels as well as the DKM SL-8 Rangefinders. They are superb.

Thanks so much!!

-Steve L.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:43 pm 

What's the difference between Frosted Ultra and Frosted Extreme material?

Looking at 1/700 Oerlikon tubs if it makes a difference.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:11 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

reigels wrote:
What's the difference between Frosted Ultra and Frosted Extreme material?

Looking at 1/700 Oerlikon tubs if it makes a difference.

Hi Scott, great question!

For those not yet familiar with 3D-printing, as Scott points out, Frosted Detail acrylic products are available in two types, Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) and Frosted Extreme Detail (FXD). Both FUD and FXD products are made using the same printer but the resolution is set differently. It's like printing a very detailed photo on your 2D office printer at home, once in 300 dpi and again in 600 dpi. The difference in detail can be amazing for larger pictures but the amount of ink needed to print them is about the same. Same idea for FUD vs. FXD. Same image, but there can be a big difference in appearance, especially for larger objects with more detail and sloped surfaces.

FUD prints in layers 29 microns thick (micron = millionths of a meter). FXD prints in layers just 16 microns thick, nearly half as thick, achieving better detail and smoother surfaces. But it takes nearly twice as long to print nearly twice as many layers to produce the same object. Since time = money, FXD is more expensive than FUD for larger objects. I like to think of it this way:

FUD = DVD
FXD = BlueRay

Same movie, different visual impact.

The cost to print FXD is usually higher than FUD. That's because the time needed to print an object is taken into consideration by Shapeways' pricing model (unlike injection molded plastic, 3D-printing an object is measured in hours, not minutes). Some materials take longer to print than other materials although the amount of material needed can be essentially the same. This is absolutely the case for FXD. FXD takes nearly twice as long to print nearly twice as many layers to produce the same product. Since time = money, the larger the object, the greater the price difference between FXD and FUD.

For smaller objects like a 1/700 director or turret, the time needed to print the product in FXD is nearly the same as printing it in FUD so the cost works out to be about the same. In those cases, because FXD has better detail and smoothness, if the cost works out to be within a dollar or so, I only offer the product in FXD. But for larger objects like a 1/700 scale Enterprise island, the price difference is pretty big (about $5) so I offer it in both FUD and FXD.

Under the new pricing model, the Oerlikon tubs cost about the same (FXD costs about 40 cents more). I intend to remove FUD as an option for that product.

Since FXD can take a long time to print, Shapeways puts a limitation on the size of the product it will accept in FXD. Some large superstructures, for example, can only be printed in FUD.

Shapeways pays me the same fee no matter which type of Frosted Detail you order, so it only matters to me in that you as the customer are happy with the product, and hopefully come back for more.

Sometimes people ask why I don't offer more products in Strong and Flexible plastic (S&F), which is cheaper than Frosted Detail. The simple answer is that most of my designs don't meet the printing requirements for S&F. The S&F 3D printers can't print the fine detail, or other features of my designs are too thin. S&F is a kind of nylon. Print lines are very noticeable and it accepts fewer kinds of primer and paint than does acrylic FUD or FXD. S&F does not sand or smooth easily. But many R/C modelers love it because it is tough and takes rougher handling. For some very large products like 1/96 scale turrets that can meet the printing requirements, those products can be and are offered in S&F.

Hope all this helps!

-Steve L.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:56 am 

Thanks for the education!

Salisbury, NC
USS Iowa BB61 1943 post refit
1:200 Trumpeter w/ Pontos detail up with deck
USS Missouri BB63 1945 1:350

In planning T2-SE-A2 tanker AO-82