The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 am 

Guba wrote:
Yeah this is getting ridiculous, we were promised regular updates. So far no updates coming on their behalf unless you contact them. The last update we got was because I contacted them. I just contacted them again.

Their last posting was Nov. 1st. Hope you get a response.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:35 am 
Hi- I have contacted Dan a number of times about the Midway since I was one of those who pre-paid. He has always responded to my emails very quickly and so far I am satisfied with his responses. My last email to him suggested posting here to keep everyone informed. My posting as a guest is in response to my email and password here being hacked a while ago so just being paranoid if people are wondering why I don't use my normal account. Please contact him directly with any questions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:18 pm 

When you say directly, do you mean through the forums, an email address or through his website?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:51 pm 

guest wrote:
My posting as a guest is in response to my email and password here being hacked a while ago so just being paranoid if people are wondering why I don't use my normal account.

You can still say what your usual account username is so people know who's posting - otherwise it's just kinda out of nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:36 pm 
Okay so my name is robert leake if it matters. I contacted Dan on his email address. I would rather go directly to him then post on a board, maybe I'm too old but if I want information I go directly to the source. Anyone who actually spent money with him on any of his projects should get updates. I have emailed him a number of times directly about the Midway and he has always promptly responded back. Am I happy about the delay, no but I understand it and to be honest for what he charged I'm happy. I did suggest in my last email that he might want to post here to keep everyone happy, but again if you spent money, contact him not this board for your answers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 pm 

Here's what he replied...

Out of the Box is essentially a one man operation, and it is a side project for me. I just don't have the time to update every channel for every project. The Atlanta CAD work is done, right now we are trying to find the best way to get it printed so that we don't have to sacrifice quality and detail. Please be patient with me. We will get this done and released as soon as we can.

I still have hopes...but I think he has too many irons in the fire.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 pm 

Guba wrote:
I think he has too many irons in the fire.

This right here. Very common for single-person operations. I hope he can work through things without alienating any potential customer bases or burning out and alienating all of them.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:14 pm 
Out of the Box Models
Out of the Box Models

Sorry for the delays. Here is where we are on the Atlanta. I'm sorry for misinforming you, I thought she was farther along than she was, but she's not done yet, but she's getting close. Now that the Midway is pretty much done, Sam can focus on the Atlanta and Chicago. I am much better at updating our Facebook page with project updates, since Its just me. I will try harder to post here too. You can ignore the fencing, that's just a placeholder.

Check out our Pinterest for 25% off of your commission cost. https://www.pinterest.com/outoftheboxmodels/

http://www.outoftheboxmodels.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 pm 

It's not like the drafter didn't have the information.....

Attachment:
CL53BodyPlanFwdx1.jpg
CL53BodyPlanFwdx1.jpg [ 167.9 KiB | Viewed 2018 times ]

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 am 

I will hold any comments until I see the next version. To say I am extremely disappointed in the effort so far is an understatement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:59 am 
Out of the Box Models
Out of the Box Models

I appreciate the feedback, but like I said, its not done yet. the CAD design process starts with generalized shapes before refining into finalized geometry. I assure you that my engineer has all of the details needed to accurately represent the ship. That being said, its very important that you guys point out as many inaccuracies as possible so we can fix them.

Check out our Pinterest for 25% off of your commission cost. https://www.pinterest.com/outoftheboxmodels/

http://www.outoftheboxmodels.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:27 pm 

Yeah, will hold commentary until we see something a bit further along. What you've posted just now looks more like a bathtub toy than a real scale model...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:58 pm 

In order to do that we'd need more than a view or two. Overhead and side views close in enough to see details, isometrics, etc. A few of us here worked with Dragon models on their 1/350th kits and there were a lot of image dumps that we would pour over, post lists of things needing change as well as pictures if possible, etc.

You may want to set expectations as to resolution of detail as well.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:54 am 

Sorry for the "dashed hope" notification email, but as a member asked me I wanted to provide a clarification lest any shred of reputation I have lest be besmirched by association with this project.

I have no contact or involvement on this project. I offered to help a project I saw benefit from, and in actuality Rick Davis wound up being the one who was able to shoot copies of the plan microfilm - I was merely a middleman. Once I sent the plans off my involvement and communication effectively ceased. I'm not consulting with OotB Models and have no back channel information.

Dan - you really need to communicate and keep your investors up to date on these projects.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:32 pm 

"dashed hope email?". I'm a crowd funding patron, but I haven't got any emails. Am I missing something?...

I do agree with better notification. Right now I wouldn't recommend Out of the Box Models for ANY model projects! Out of Box brought this on by their own work, or lack there of!...yeah....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 pm 

Tracy means the email you get from this forum if you are subscribed to this topic for emailed updates when someone posts a new reply.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:32 pm 

Tim's got it right - I know there are some whose hopes get up every time they see a notification email....

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:28 pm 

"ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE"

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:15 pm 

Well he took me for $60 on 2 kits. My first ever crowd funding and I got ripped. No updates unless I contacted him. At this point he's just blowing air...I had hoped that my 2 emails to him would wake him up. But NOT!....NO UPDATES at all!

I don't think I'll be crowd funding anymore. I think at this point I'll be looking for his website to give bad google reviews, if it's possible.

Timmy C, I think this is one bad apple...if it was me I would quadruple the sponsors price when renewal comes, but I wouldn't renew him if you had any conscious.

Petty theft is this guy....

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:18 am 

Are the Atlanta and the Midway projects cancelled? If not, what is the actual status of the design work? It is not evident from the limited postings nor from the quality of the apparent design efforts that both of these projects are "real". There should have been some CAD design or even test shots posted by now to validate the work.

Anyone who has followed the efforts of the many successful model makers must know by now that what we have seen so far is probably a "smoke screen". Projects fail for many reasons, usually lack of funding, unacceptable cost overruns or design (or designer) failures. Sometimes it is just the failure of the company to evaluate all the critical aspects of a project and find themselves in over their heads and are unable or unwilling to openly "write it off".

Personally being 80 and still with modeling skills I am very disappointed that I may never see a CLAA in 350 scale reach the market.

Caveat Emptor

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next