The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:11 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Shapeways is changing how it calculates the cost of models they 3D-print. The change affects different materials differently. You can learn more about the change here: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/prici ... ges.97888/

Models I sell through Shapeways will be affected by the change. This includes metal nameplates and products printed in white acrylic "Smooth Fine Detail Plastic" (formerly called "Frosted Detail Plastic").

Models I print in-house in gray resin are not affected by pricing changes at Shapeways. In-house gray resin models are available here: https://www.model-monkey.com/

Shapeways has grandfathered the pricing for previously-uploaded products until after the holidays. This means that the cost of older models in my Shapeways shop will not be affected until January. New models come under the new Shapeways pricing algorithm now as I upload the new designs. Come January, the new pricing model will affect all products sold through Shapeways. I don't yet know how Shapeways pricing for existing products in my Shapeways shop will look when the change occurs. Newly uploaded designs are being priced using the new algorithm right now. The new designs cost significantly more than similar products uploaded in the past, about 15% more. This indicates that older models will probably get a noticeable price bump in January.

To be clear, I say again, models I print in-house in gray resin are not affected by pricing changes at Shapeways.

Models I print in gray resin cost less than the same model printed by Shapeways in white acrylic.

Thanks for your continuing patronage and happy holidays to all!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:35 am 

From what I gather the problem for shapeways was anytime customers print in metal they were losing money because of the polishing that must be done.
Having had something printed in metal myself, I can understand why that might be a problem as these things are high ticket items.
Normal gray resin products should not be affected at all though given the maturing market and technology.

It will be interesting to see how they survive in the next 5 years as 3d printers become more common. Amazon is already eyeing this market with the idea that a 3D printer will become a household appliance to sell items through. Item data will be read only and require secure two way communication from the service to the printer unless the customer buys duplication rights.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:10 am 

Hi Steve :wave_1:

I am also worried of Shapeways changing some policies ,honestly , now I am very cautious in placing an new order in Shapeways ,I am very happy with your service in those resin pieces ,better and more affordable than those Smoothest fine detail on Shapeways, as was said earlier ,gratefully ,there are new options in printed parts

3.- Don't build it