The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:10 pm 
Classic Airships
Classic Airships

Here's a New Year's present for all U.S. NAVY, Cold War era fans : I have launched a completely new version of my ZPG-3W "Vigilance" AEW airship in 1:1250 and 1:1200 scales.

This is a kit of parts to build a detailed model of the world's biggest non-rigid - four were built. You can chose to depict the undercarriage either up or down, and model her either "in flight" or moored to the Mobile Mooring Mast included in the set.

By splitting the hull in two and then positioning each half pointing vertically upwards in the printer, I have ensured that they print as smoothly as possible with a minimum of marking from support materials. To add extra strength I have increased the envelope thickness and reinforced the area where a display rod can be inserted if required. The Control Car is separately printed in both U/C "up" and U/C "down" configurations which are delivered within the hull, providing extra security against loss and damage, particularly for the prop blades. The Mooring Mast is also delivered within the hull. All of these parts are easily released using a pair of snips and there are no ugly sprue connection points to have to worry about disguising.

All of this and yet this beautiful model is significantly lower in price than the models that preceded it. You will find Vigilance HERE in my Shapeways shop.

For decals use my "CA007" sheet available HERE on my website.

Happy New Year everyone and Happy Modelling!

Derek

The real thing, showing where to position the decals...