The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:29 pm 
3D Wild
3D Wild

To IJN fans, particularly "WHAT IF" IJN fans: 3D-WILD is proud to announce the release of 1/350 scale IJN Kii-class Battleship "Kii" model kit developed by Chuanyu Models! For warship fans who build and collect "what if" ships, this one is definitely a must-have!! With part of its armament and appearance being speculated, design of this model embodies the beauty and power of WWII Japanese Battleships.

Product link is: https://3d-wild.com/collections/warship ... -model-kit

Historical Info of Kii-class Battleship: Kii-class battleship design was basically a repeat of the Amagi-class battlecruisers with a thicker armor belt and possible upgraded firepower. The design only has blueprints and were never built in real history.

Thanks to the strategic partnership between 3D-WILD and Chuanyu Models, 3D-WILD is proud to offer the warship kits of Chuanyu Models to fellow modelers with lower price and better after-sale service than others can!!
PLEASE NOTE: The current lead time is approximately 2 months. Order Early, Ship Early!

Features:

--The FIRST & ONLY 1/350 Kii-class battleship model kit commercially available. The approximate length of the finished model is 74 cm.
--Made of high-quality 3D-printing resin.
--Kit includes a large number of PE/metal parts to further enhance the detail level.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:57 pm 

IJN what-ifs in 1/350. Pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:00 am 

the hull split down the middle like that looks really tricky to join and blend together. How would one do this join?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:21 am 
3D Wild
3D Wild

cplchanb wrote:
the hull split down the middle like that looks really tricky to join and blend together. How would one do this join?

Super glue + Tamiya epoxy putty + Tamiya tooth paste putty + Sandpapers + Time + Patience. Not for beginners or rush-builders for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm 

3D-WILD wrote:
cplchanb wrote:

Super glue + Tamiya epoxy putty + Tamiya tooth paste putty + Sandpapers + Time + Patience. Not for beginners or rush-builders for sure.

curious how come it was not done as a single piece? is it too long?
Also would it be possible to make the edges of the halves flush so that the join is smooth?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:43 pm 
3D Wild
3D Wild

Hello cplchanb, based on the previous experience doing it as a single piece will significantly increase the chance to have imperfections when producing the hull, and the risk for the hull to bend, misshape or get damaged during transportation.

The edges of the halves are indeed made as smooth surfaces.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:18 pm 

I think from experience that splitting the hull into more than one piece is a good idea. I'm currently building their Hindenburg and my hull
has a slight warp. Of more issue is that my forward deck 01 level has an extreme warp but with no way to contact ChuanYu I could find,
I've assembled the parts including etch to it and am hoping super glue will straighten it out when it goes onto the main deck. Huge
disappointment there and again, no real way I could find to get a replacement or even report it.

As far as kit quality, the pe is really nice and comprehensive but the 3D printing really needs some refining. Im sure Hindenburg will look
cool finished but it's been more of a struggle than a $200. kit should be. That concerns me about getting any other ChuanYu kits in the
future. I do hope their quality improves with time.

Clair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:09 pm 
3D Wild
3D Wild

phant3 wrote:
I think from experience that splitting the hull into more than one piece is a good idea. I'm currently building their Hindenburg and my hull
has a slight warp. Of more issue is that my forward deck 01 level has an extreme warp but with no way to contact ChuanYu I could find,
I've assembled the parts including etch to it and am hoping super glue will straighten it out when it goes onto the main deck. Huge
disappointment there and again, no real way I could find to get a replacement or even report it.

As far as kit quality, the pe is really nice and comprehensive but the 3D printing really needs some refining. Im sure Hindenburg will look
cool finished but it's been more of a struggle than a $200. kit should be. That concerns me about getting any other ChuanYu kits in the
future. I do hope their quality improves with time.

Clair

Thanks Clair, we do not carry Chuanyu's 1/350 Hindenburg for some reasons. Chuanyu now produces all the ships as 2-piece hull combos as practice has shown that one-piece hull can easily got bent, misshaped or damaged.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:12 pm 

3D-WILD wrote:
Thanks Clair, we do not carry Chuanyu's 1/350 Hindenburg for some reasons. Chuanyu now produces all the ships as 2-piece hull combos as practice has shown that one-piece hull can easily got bent, misshaped or damaged.

The Hindenburg is one of Chuanyu's kits that I'm interested in. Is there the possibility that you might carry it in the future?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:17 pm 

Love what you are doing. You're bringing ship models to a new level. I am wondering why you decided to use photo etch weapons instead of 3D printed ones? To me the game changer for 3D printed ship kits is not having to build up all those tiny guns and adding the 3rd dimension to those weapons. Was there a reason you decided not to 3D print them?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 pm 
3D Wild
3D Wild

davidwaples wrote:
Love what you are doing. You're bringing ship models to a new level. I am wondering why you decided to use photo etch weapons instead of 3D printed ones? To me the game changer for 3D printed ship kits is not having to build up all those tiny guns and adding the 3rd dimension to those weapons. Was there a reason you decided not to 3D print them?

Hi David,

The reason is that Chuanyu Models has been working on PE & metal parts for around 10 years and have sophisticated expertise/tools. 3D-printed details are good but have the intrinsic disadvantage of being fragile and easy to misshape. Cost wise, Chuanyu Models strategy of using a large number of PEs stacked on a less detailed hull, which can be designed and produced fast, can overall lower the price of the kits on their end.

Compared to Chuanyu, we (3D-WILD) rely more on 3D-printing for details but is also exploring a proper balance between 3D-printed parts and PE parts.

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:52 pm 

3D-WILD wrote:
davidwaples wrote:

Hi David,

The reason is that Chuanyu Models has been working on PE & metal parts for around 10 years and have sophisticated expertise/tools. 3D-printed details are good but have the intrinsic disadvantage of being fragile and easy to misshape. Cost wise, Chuanyu Models strategy of using a large number of PEs stacked on a less detailed hull, which can be designed and produced fast, can overall lower the price of the kits on their end.

Compared to Chuanyu, we (3D-WILD) rely more on 3D-printing for details but is also exploring a proper balance between 3D-printed parts and PE parts.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to get your perspective as you design these kits. I hope you all do well.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:55 pm 
3D Wild
3D Wild

HMC_Rubber_Ducky wrote:
3D-WILD wrote:

The Hindenburg is one of Chuanyu's kits that I'm interested in. Is there the possibility that you might carry it in the future?

Thanks for your interest, please send an email to us at inquiry@3d-wild.com at your convenience so we can keep you notified when there is any updates.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:49 am 

Model stolen from Wargaming!!! Since the Hindenburg and Zao.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:47 am 

Seconding Dan: OOOoOoOoooOoooo....

My only question? Wouldn't her AAA more likely be either the Type 89's or the Type 98's in similar mountings to Taiho?

Dan?

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:58 am 

Well, most of the Japanese representations, including those in the Ishibashi book, show enclosed mountings.

The Yamato class 12.7cm began with enclosed shields, but material shortages led to additional semi-shielded units.

It's anybody's guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:07 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Well, most of the Japanese representations, including those in the Ishibashi book, show enclosed mountings.

The Yamato class 12.7cm began with enclosed shields, but material shortages led to additional semi-shielded units.

It's anybody's guess.

yup in this alternate universe the IJN was winning and had no material shortages. Yam wouldve had all enclosed mountings (you can see my what if yam for reference as well)

Amagi wouldve had the best of the best which would be a fully enclosed turret.