The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 am 

Even though the K.u.K. Kriegsmarine is becoming increasingly obscure, please bear with me. With the demise and breakup of Austria-Hungary at the end of World War I, the navy was disestablished and, with the authorization of the Emperor, the fleet turned over to representatives of the new Yugoslav state on 31 October, 1918. The navy's river monitors on the Danube still saw action into early November, but the navy as an institution was finished.

So, it has been a century, and virtually all direct connection to that navy has disappeared along with it. About the only thing anyone has seen of the navy has been Christopher Plummer wearing the handsome frock coat of a K.u.K. naval officer in the wedding scene from the Sound of Music. Upon becoming aware of Georg J.L. Ritter von Trapp and his experience in WW I, I was intrigued that Austria had once had a navy, and that it was a well regarded one at that.

Thank God for university libraries. :smallsmile:

As far as available models go, at one time there were quite a few K.u.K. ships in either 1:700 or 1:1250 ranges. Some of those seem to have disappeared, but Navis-Neptun still have a selection of WW I battleships, cruisers and torpedo boats in 1:1250, though the destroyers seem to be missing now. NNT have the Radetzky class semi-dreadnoughts in 1:700, and Combrig offers a few, but only in 1:350 (too large for me). So the model pickings are pretty slim it seems.

If anyone has better information on either 1:700, or on 1:1250 waterline warships for Austria-Hungary, it would be appreciated.

If anyone is interested in the K.u.K. Kriegsmarine, its ships, its organization and its history, I for one would be very happy to discuss it . Thanks for putting up with the obsessions of an old history major.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:24 pm 

Separate threads on individual KUK ships/classes can be found in the ship type subsections of the CASF forum, so do try looking there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:36 am 

I recommend the book - Austro-Hungarian Naval Policy, 1904-14 by Milan N. Vego
Published by Frank Cass books
rare book and out of print paperback - I had it before I sold it a few years ago on ebay ( and got quite a bit of money )
its a fascinating read -
" This unique and comprehensive account describes the interplay of internal and external factors in the emergence of the Austro-Hungarian Navy from a coastal defence force in 1904 to a respectable battle force capable of the joint operations with other Triple Alliance fleets in the Mediterranean by the eve of World War I.
By 1914 the Austro-Hungarian Navy was the sixth largest navy in the world and the quality of its officers and men was widely recognised by most European naval observers at the time.

The book describes the relationships between naval leaders, the heir to the throne Archduke Francis Ferdinand, and the Parliament in shaping the dual Monarchy's naval policy.
It also shows how the changes in foreign policy in Italy and underlying animosities between Rome and Vienna led to a naval race in the Adriatic that eventually bolstered Germany's naval position in respect to Great Britain in the North Sea."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:14 am 

To all lovers of the K.u.K. Kriegsmarine, I cannot recommend loud enough the series of four novels by John Biggins, beautifully written under the form of the memoirs of Otto Prohaska, a naval officer in the Imperial Navy before and during the First World War. All four books are available in e-format.

1. A Sailor of Austria: "In which, without really intending to, Otto Prohaska becomes Official War Hero No. 27 of the Habsburg Empire"
2. The Emperor’s Coloured Coat: "In which Otto Prohaska, future hero of the Habsburg Empire, has an unexpectedly interesting time while not quite managing to avert the First World War"
3. The Two-Headed Eagle: "In which Otto Prohaska takes a break as the Habsburg Empire's leading U-Boat ace and does something even more thanklessly dangerous"
4. Tomorrow the World: "In which Otto Prohaska carries the Habsburg Empire's civilising mission to the entirely unreceptive peoples of Africa and Oceania"

The entire series provides an entertaining and educative reading experience. The author was very well-documented. I even learned a few things, not so much about the KuK Kriegsmarine, but about he air war in the Italian Alps, in which the hero takes a break from being a submarine commander in the Adriatic to fight during the Summer of 1917 in the KuK Fliegtruppen. That's in the third book (The Two-Headed Eagle)

In the second book of the series, (The Emperor’s Coloured Coat), the hero finds himself on the staff of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, then is detached as an officer on board a river monitor on the Danube, just in time to get involved in the Sarajevo plot, and ends up in Tsingtao in China to see the beginning of the First Wold War.

The fourth book (Tomorrow the World) is a prequel in which the hero recalls his training at the Imperial and Royal Naval Academy, and the memorable world cruise of his cadet ship in the Pacific Ocean.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 pm 

When I get around to building the few Austro-Hungarian ships in the stash, I will pull "The Imperial and Royal Austro-Hungarian navy" by Anthony E Sokol down off the shelf.

1/700 Ulsan - Kobo Hiryu
--and dozens more

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:41 am 

The k.(u.)k. Navy is quite well documented, albeit by German language literature. There are also sseveral associations in Vienna and other places dealing with its history. And there is a large section in the Vienna Military History Museum dedicated to it.
Much of its archives seem to have survived, but the move out of Trieste and finally Pola/Pula at the end of WW1. It seesms that there boxes in the National Archives that have never been opened since 1919 ...
I am currently travelling, but will put up here a fairly comprehensive bibliography, once I am back at my computer.

P.S. it seems that the events of the emigration of the Trapp-family have been rather overdramatised in the film - they simply stepped on a train to Switzerland ...

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 pm 

73north wrote:
I recommend the book - Austro-Hungarian Naval Policy, 1904-14 by Milan N. Vego
Published by Frank Cass books
rare book and out of print paperback - I had it before I sold it a few years ago on ebay ( and got quite a bit of money )
its a fascinating read -
" This unique and comprehensive account describes the interplay of internal and external factors in the emergence of the Austro-Hungarian Navy from a coastal defence force in 1904 to a respectable battle force capable of the joint operations with other Triple Alliance fleets in the Mediterranean by the eve of World War I.
By 1914 the Austro-Hungarian Navy was the sixth largest navy in the world and the quality of its officers and men was widely recognised by most European naval observers at the time.

The book describes the relationships between naval leaders, the heir to the throne Archduke Francis Ferdinand, and the Parliament in shaping the dual Monarchy's naval policy.
It also shows how the changes in foreign policy in Italy and underlying animosities between Rome and Vienna led to a naval race in the Adriatic that eventually bolstered Germany's naval position in respect to Great Britain in the North Sea."

Thanks for replying. I have Milan Vego's book, and I got it on Amazon Prime, so it is available. Also, there is another book published around the same time (1996):

Lawrence Sondhaus, The Naval Policy of Austria-Hungary, 1867-1918 (Purdue University Press, West Lafayette, IN, 1994)

The subtitle is "Navalism, Industrial Development and the Politics of Dualism." Although an academic book, it is highly readable and very well done. I also got that on Amazon Prime.

Two things about Sondhaus's book are the attention to how the industrial development of A-H led the navy to be able to expand, and also the importance of seaborne commerce in the role of the increase of the fleet. Much of that information was new to me.

(Austria-Hungary was the fourth largest user of the Suez Canal behind Britain, Germany and France, every year but one from 1893 to 1913, and A-H was not a colonial power. Her trade with the Far East had become important to the economy, and A-H had the seventh largest merchant marine in Europe.)

Last edited by Mike Benedict on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:29 pm 

wefalck wrote:
The k.(u.)k. Navy is quite well documented, albeit by German language literature. There are also sseveral associations in Vienna and other places dealing with its history. And there is a large section in the Vienna Military History Museum dedicated to it.
Much of its archives seem to have survived, but the move out of Trieste and finally Pola/Pula at the end of WW1. It seesms that there boxes in the National Archives that have never been opened since 1919 ...
I am currently travelling, but will put up here a fairly comprehensive bibliography, once I am back at my computer.

P.S. it seems that the events of the emigration of the Trapp-family have been rather overdramatised in the film - they simply stepped on a train to Switzerland ...

I will look forward to your bibliography. Other than the books mentioned above (Vego, Sondhaus and Anton Sokol) most of what I am aware is from several internet sites (kuk-kriegsmarine.at, mateinfo.hu/oldmate, and kriegsmarine.at).

As for von Trapp, I think he held citizenship of Italy (there were other similar post-war arrangements for A-H persons), and he could travel freely on that passport since Italy had close relations with Germany. In 1938 he would have been about 60 years old, so I don't think he was going to be a U-boat sailor as implied in the film :smallsmile:.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:35 pm 

Jean-Paul Binot wrote:
To all lovers of the K.u.K. Kriegsmarine, I cannot recommend loud enough the series of four novels by John Biggins, beautifully written under the form of the memoirs of Otto Prohaska, a naval officer in the Imperial Navy before and during the First World War. All four books are available in e-format.

1. A Sailor of Austria: "In which, without really intending to, Otto Prohaska becomes Official War Hero No. 27 of the Habsburg Empire"
2. The Emperor’s Coloured Coat: "In which Otto Prohaska, future hero of the Habsburg Empire, has an unexpectedly interesting time while not quite managing to avert the First World War"
3. The Two-Headed Eagle: "In which Otto Prohaska takes a break as the Habsburg Empire's leading U-Boat ace and does something even more thanklessly dangerous"
4. Tomorrow the World: "In which Otto Prohaska carries the Habsburg Empire's civilising mission to the entirely unreceptive peoples of Africa and Oceania"

The entire series provides an entertaining and educative reading experience. The author was very well-documented. I even learned a few things, not so much about the KuK Kriegsmarine, but about he air war in the Italian Alps, in which the hero takes a break from being a submarine commander in the Adriatic to fight during the Summer of 1917 in the KuK Fliegtruppen. That's in the third book (The Two-Headed Eagle)

In the second book of the series, (The Emperor’s Coloured Coat), the hero finds himself on the staff of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, then is detached as an officer on board a river monitor on the Danube, just in time to get involved in the Sarajevo plot, and ends up in Tsingtao in China to see the beginning of the First Wold War.

The fourth book (Tomorrow the World) is a prequel in which the hero recalls his training at the Imperial and Royal Naval Academy, and the memorable world cruise of his cadet ship in the Pacific Ocean.

They sound like Harry Flashman novels! That alone makes them interesting. I will look for them, and thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:30 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Separate threads on individual KUK ships/classes can be found in the ship type subsections of the CASF forum, so do try looking there as well.

Thank you Timmy.

Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:36 pm 

Mike Benedict wrote:
They sound like Harry Flashman novels! That alone makes them interesting. I will look for them, and thank you.

In a way, yes, they are quite similar to the Flashman series of novels, but in my view much superior, if only because otto Prohaska is a positive, if unenthusiastic hero. A professional officer of middle rank doing his duty to the best of his ability. There is none of the improbable, and quite corrupt, behaviour of Harry Flashman in him.

Another attraction in my view is that the four novels provide a vivid and consistent description of the Zeitgeist of the Habsburg monarchy in its twilight years, with quite a dose of nostalgia, but also with a fair and accurate description of the political upheavals and the centrifugal forces at play: Prohaska is a Czech, with a German-nationalist father, and a Hungarian noblewoman as a wife from a Transylvanian background. He is at one point on the staff of Franz-Ferdinand, and quite close to archduchess Sophie and their chidren, with all the issues afflicting that family (morganatic marriage, ostracism at the court, etc.).

Finally, there are excellent, although brief, discussions of technical, tactical and strategic matters, naval and air, regarding submarine operations in the Adriatic and Mediterranean during the first world war.

On the whole, a compelling must-read for all of us, I'd say.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:30 am 

Below is the excerpt of works on the k.(u.).k. Navy from my maritime bibliography (https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/maritimebibliography.pdf).

Beware that this is not a systematic collection and that it largely terminates in the years before WW1, the end of the era I am interested in. I suppose much of what was published after 1914 had propaganda purposes as the actual technical information would have been classified. There are various publications on WW1 ships and boats (e.g. the austrian answers to the italian M.A.S.) , which are not listed for the said reason.
If you are interested in particular ships and their post-WW1 fate, it may be useful to have a look at italiean and (former) yugoslavian sources. Both states took over ships, when the k.u.k. Navy was distributed among the victorious allies.

A small range of kits is available from here: https://www.doppeladler.com/themodeller/

B means, I own the book, E means that there is an ebook/scan available, K means that I have photostat copy.

Bibliography on the k.u.k. Navy

AICHELBURG, W. (1981): K.u.K. Segelschiffe in alten Postkarten.- 224 p.
AICHELBURG, W. (1982): K.u.K. Dampfschiffe.- 223 p.
B AICHELBURG, W. (1996): K.u.K. Dampfschiffe - Kriegs-, Handels- und Passagierschiffe in alten Photographien.- 224 p., Wien (Österr. Staatsdruckerei)
B AICHELBURG, W. (1996): K.u.K. Segelschiffe in alten Photographien.- 224 p., Wien (Österr. Staatsdruckerei).
B AICHELBURG, W. (1996): K.u.K. Yachten und Yachtclubs Österreich-Ungarns in alten Photographien.- 112 p., Wien (Österr. Staatsdruckerei).
ANONYM (1866): Artillerie-Unterricht für die Mannschaft der Festungs- und Küsten-Artillerie-Compagnien. Zweite Unterrichts-Classe.- 104 p.- Wien (kaiserlich-königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei).
ANONYM (1867): Artillerie-Unterricht für die Mannschaft der Batterien. Zweite Unterrichts-Classe.- 114 p., Wien (kaiserlich-königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei).
(K) ANONYM (1880-82): Artillerie-Unterricht für die k.k. Kriegs-Marine.- 3 Bde., Taf., Laibach (I. von Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg). (ÖNB 52.303-B)
B ANONYM (1880-81): Artillerie-Unterricht für die k.k. Kriegs-Marine.- 2 Bde., 514 p., Laibach (I. von Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
ANONYM ? (1905): Schiffsmaschinenkunde und Materialkunde - Leitfaden für die Einährigfreiwilligenschule der K.K. Kriegsmarine.- p., 55 Taf., Pola(?).
ANONYM (1906): Vorschrift für die Beleuchtung der k.u.k. Kriegsschiffe und Torpedoboote.- Marine-Normalverordnungsblatt, XXXIV, Abt. 6/M.S., Nr. 11.981: 28 p., Laibach (I. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
ANONYM (1909): Handbuch für Unteroffiziere des Decks- und Steuerdienstes.- Pola.
ARCHIV FÜR SEEWESEN, hrsg. von J. Ziegler, Jg. 1-8, Wien/Triest. (ÖNB 153.595-B)
ARVAY, F. VON (1918): Handbuch des Seemannswesens — Mit besonderer Berücksichtigung für die K.u.K. Kriegsmarine.- 1017 p., 1 pl., 3 tab., Wien (Wilhelm Braumüller).
B BAUMGARTNER, L., SIECHE, E. (1999): Schiffe der k.(u.).k. Kriegsmarine im Bild, Bd. I: 1848-1895.- 184 p., Wien (Verlagsbuchhandlung Stöhr).
B BAUMGARTNER, L., WINKLER, D. (2005): Flottenrock und Kaiseradler. Uniformierung im Spiegel der Geschichte der k.(u.)k. Kriegsmarine von 1815 - 1918.- 261 p., Wien (Verlagsbuchhandlung Stöhr).
B BILLE, W.H. (19??): Torpedo Vessels of the Imp. & Royal Austro-Hungarian Navy 1875-1918,- o.S., Wien? (unveröffentlicht).
DESCOVICH, E., SEELIGER, E. (1915): Das U-Boot.- 64 p., Wien (Österr. Flottenverein).
DISLERE, P. (1877): Die Panzerschiffe der neuesten Zeit (aus dem Französischen übersetzt von Constantin Pott).- 135 p., Pola (C. Gerold, Wien).
FASSEL, J. (1878): Anleitung zum Betriebe und zur Instandhaltung der Schiffsdampfkessel und Schiffsdampmaschinen.- 158 p., Wien (Gerold). (ÖNB 57.302-B)
B FASSEL, J. (1897): Atlas zur Schiffsmaschinenkunde. Lehrbehelf für den Unterricht an der k.u.k. Marine-Akademie.- 45 Taf., Laibach (I. v. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
F.L. (1885): Die Nordenfelt’schen Maschinen-Geschütze. Ihre Einrichtung und Verwendungs-fähigkeit für die Zwecke der Kriegs-Marinen und der Land-Armeen.- 42 p., 2 pl., Wien / Bukarest (Ch. Reisser & M. Werthner).
B GERSTENBERGER, E.A. (2003): Festung Pola. Die Verteidigungsanlagen des k.(u.)k. Hauptkriegshafens 1823-1918.- 192 p., Wien/Graz (Neuer wissenschaftlicher Verlag).
K HAUSKNECHT, F. (1852): Leitfaden zum Studium der Marine-Artillerie – Nach den besten Quellen bearbeitet von F.H., Marine-Artillerie-Hauptmann.- 395 p., Taf., Wien (C. Gerold & Sohn).
HENGELHAUPT, H. (2002): Die Goèlette Saida: der Stolz der österreichischen Marine: eine Dokumentation.- 195 p., Wien? (Eigenverl. H. Hengelhaupt).
HERRMANN, H. (1905): Schiffsmaschinenkunde samt Schiffsmaschinendienst und Materialkunde.- XIII+398 p., 55 pl., Pola (Maschinenschule).
HÜBNER, P. (2010): Die K.u.K. Segelfregatte Fürst Felix Schwarzenberg und ihre Zeit 1853-1861.- 408 p., Wien.
(K) KAISER, G. (19002): Construction der gezogenen Geschützrohre.- 14 Pl., Wien (Verlag von L. Seidel & Sohn, K.u.k. Hofbuchhändler).
KIRCHHOFF, H. (1915): U-Boot und Luftboot.- Deutsche Kraft, H. 18: 30 p., Berlin/ Leipzig/Wien (Collingnon).
B K.K. ARTILLERIE-COMITÉ (1867): Mittheilungen über Gegenstände der Artillerie- und Kriegs-Wissenschaften, 1867(1-8): 532 p., 28 Pl., Wien (W. Braumüller).
KLUGER, O. (1895): Elemente der Schiffbaukunde.- Fiume (Hof- und Staatsdruck Wien).
B KÖRNER, K.K. (2016): Die glatte Vorderlader-Artillerie der k.k. Marine 1750-1866.- 476 p., Wien (Verlag Militaria).
E KOUDELKA,, A. (1899): Unsere Kriegs-Marine.- 506 S., 4 Farbendrucke, 3 doppelseitige, 25 ganzseitige und 90 Textabb. nach Aquarellen und Zeichnungen von August Freiher von Ramberg, 1 Faltkarte, Wien (Alfred Hölder).
B KRONENFELS, J.F. VON (1881): Das schwimmende Flottenmaterial der Seemächte.- 599 p., Wien/Pest/Leipzig (A. Hartleben’s Verlag).
B KRONENFELS, J.F. VON (1883): Die Kriegsschiffbauten 1881-1882 (Nachdruck 1976, C. Schmidt's Maritime Reprints, Bd. II, München).- 279 p., Wien, Pest, Leipzig (A. Hartleben's Verlag).
E K.U.K. MARINE-TECHNISCHES COMITÉ (1894): Handbuch des Bootswesens (Auf Anordnung des k.u.k. Reichs-Kriegsministeriums (Marine-Section) ausgearbeitet).- 325 p., Pola/Laibach (I. v. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
B K.U.K. MARINETECHNISCHES COMITÉ (1902): Torpedo-Unterricht für die k.u.k. Kriegs-Marine. I. Theil.- 429 p., Laibach (I. v. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
B K.U.K. MARINETECHNISCHES COMITÉ (1894): Atlas zum Torpedo-Unterricht für die k.u.k. Kriegs-Marine. I. Theil.- 41 pl., Laibach (I. v. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
B K.U.K. MARINETECHNISCHES COMITÉ (1894): Supplementär-Atlas zum Torpedo-Unterricht für die k.u.k. Kriegs-Marine. I. Theil.- 20 pl., Laibach (I. v. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
E K.U.K. MARINE-TECHNISCHES COMITÉ (1894): Handbuch des Bootswesens (Auf Anordnung des k.u.k. Reichs-Kriegsministeriums (Marine-Section) ausgearbeitet).- 325 p., Pola/Laibach (I. v. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
B K.U.K. MARINETECHNISCHES COMITÉ (1895): Torpedo-Unterricht für die k.u.k. Kriegs-Marine. II. Theil. Beschreibung der in der k.u.k. Kriegs-Marine eingeführten Lancier-Apparate.- 258 p., Laibach (I. v. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
B K.U.K. MARINETECHNISCHES COMITÉ (1895): Atlas zum Torpedo-Unterricht für die k.u.k. Kriegs-Marine. II. Theil.- 22 pl., Laibach (I. v. Kleinmayr & F. Bamberg).
LEHNHART VON LENNINGSFELD, P. (1895): Takelung und Ankerkunde für die k.u.k Kriegs-marine. Unter Anleitung des Militär-Hafencommandanten von Pola Contreadmiral Freiherr von Sterneck verfaßt von mehreren k.u.k. Seeoffizieren. Neu bearbeitet von p. L.v.L., k.u.k. Fregatten-Capitän.- 2 Bde., 436 p. + LXXXVII Taf., Wien (k.-k. Hof- und Staatsdruckerei). (ÖNB 260.662-B.Fid. = 108-049)
B LEHNHART VON LENNINGSFELD, P. (1895): Takelung und Ankerkunde für die k.u.k Kriegs-marine. Figurentafeln. Unter Anleitung des Militär-Hafencommandanten von Pola Contreadmiral Freiherr von Sterneck verfaßt von mehreren k.u.k. Seeoffizieren. Neu bearbeitet von P. L.v.L., k.u.k. Fregatten-Capitän.- LXXXVII Taf., Wien (k.-k. Hof- und Staatsdruckerei).
K LITTROW, H. VON (1859): Handbuch der Seemannschaft.- Textbd., 305 p.; Atlas, XII Taf. Wien (Gerold).
MARCHETTI, H. (1894): Die Erdumseglung S.M.Schiffes "Saida" in den Jahren 1890,1891,1892. Zusammengestellt im Auftrage des k.u.k. Reichs-Kriegs-Ministeriums, Marine Section, auf Grund der Berichte des k.u.k.Schiffskommandos.- 529 p., 17 Kt., 12 Lichtdrucke, Wien (Gerold, Hrsg. Redaction der "Mitteilungen aus dem Gebiete des Seewesens“).
K MIELICHHOFER, C. (1857): Anleitung zur Schiffbau-Kunst.- 187 p., Wien (Carl Gerold’s Sohn).
NAWRATIL, H. (1915): Atlas zur Schiffsmaschinenkunde. Im Auftrage des K. u. K. Kriegsministeriums Marinesektion.- 112 Pl., Pola (Selbstverlag der Maschinenschule Pola).
PALLA, R. (2011): Die Weltreise Seiner Majestät Korvette SAIDA in den Jahren 1884-1886.- 128 p., Wien.
B PAWLIK, G. (2000): Tegethoff und das Seegefecht vor Helgoland - 9. Mai 1864.- 176 p., Wien (Verlag Österreich GmbH).
B PAWLIK, G. (2001): Grüße aus Neptuns Reich. Die österreichische Kriegsmarine im Spiegel historischer Postkarten.- 118 p., Wien (Neuer Wissenschaftlicher Verlag).
B PAWLIK, G. (2002): Im Taifun beinahe gekentert. Die abenteuerliche Reise der k.u.k. Korvette Fasana 1891-1893 (Österreichs Schiffahrt in alten Ansichten, Album 4).- 112 p., Wien (Neuer Wissenschaftlicher Verlag).
B PAWLIK, G. (2003): Des Kaisers schwimmende Festungen - Die Kasemattschiffe Österreich-Ungarns (Österreichs Schiffahrt in alten Ansichten, Album 6).- 112 p., Wien (Neuer Wissenschaftlicher Verlag).
PAWLIK, G., BAUMGARTNER, L. (1986): S.M. Unterseeboote - Das k.u.k. Unterseebootswesen 1907–1918.- 128 p., Graz (Herbert Weishaupt Verlag).
B PAWLIK, G., CHRST, H., WINKLER, H. (19772): Die K.u.K Donauflottille 1870–1918.- 180 p., Graz (Herbert Weishaupt Verlag).
PITZINGER, F. (1910): Tafeln zur Schiffbaukunde.- Pola (Krmpotic).
POTT, (1877): Die Panzerschiffe der neuesten Zeit.- Pola.
PRAMER, K. (1913): Der Torpedo und seine Verwendung im Kriege k.u.k. Kriegsmarine.- ? p., 6 pl., Pola (?).
E PRASKY, F. (1982): Bootsriemen.- ModellWerft, 6(4): 320-321.
E PRASKY, F. (1982): Donaumonitor S.M. MAROS.- ModellWerft, 6(5): 406-409.
RAUCHENSTEINER, M. (1980): Österreich zur See. Austria at Sea.- Revue Internationale d’histoire Militaire, 45: 200 p., Wien (Österreichischer Bundesverlag).
E SALCHER, P. (1902): Geschichte der k.u.k. Marine-Akademie.- 82 p., Pola (Carl Gerold’s Sohn).
B SCHUPITA, P. (2006): Die Waffen der k.(u.)k. Kriegsmarine im Bild 1860-1918.- 254 p., Wien (Verlagsbuchhandlung Stöhr).
SIRK, V.-H. (1875): Der Betrieb von Schiffs-Dampfkesseln und Maschinen.- 232 p., Wien (Gerold).
SOKOL, A.E. (1972): Seemacht Österreich. Die Kaiserliche und Königliche Kriegsmarine 1382-1918.- 224 p., Wien (Fritz Molden).
B STERNECK, . VON [Ed.] (1875): Takelung und Ankerkunde. Text+Atlas.- 362 p., 69 pl., Wien (k.-k. Hof- und Staatsdruckerei).
WILHELMI, A. (1869): Versuch zu einem Leitfaden für den Unterricht in der Marine-Artillerie.- Wien (Gerold).
B WINKLER, D. (1997): K.(u.).K. Matrosenleben 1860-1914.- 120 p., Wien (Verlag für Photographie).
E ZVOLENSKI, A. VON (1897): Handbuch über die k.k. Kriegsmarine.- 99 p., Wien (A. Hartleben's Verlag).

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:50 am 

@wefalck

Thanks very much for the biblio.

I am aware of the two Sokol brothers(?), but other than the cursory book by Anton S., I have not been able to locate the one on your list, or the multi-volume work on the navy in WWI by Hans Hugo.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:39 pm 

Just to give the good news - that Trumpeter of China have released the lovely
completed Model in 1/350 Scale open to inspection in Japan of the KuK Viribus Unitis at The 59th All Japan Model & Hobby Show 2019

enjoy !

( sorry photo is not clearer - it was taken from Facebook's page for Trumpeter )

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:50 pm 

Would love to see more K.u.K. subjects. Habsburg class pre-dreadnought would be nice.

1/700 USS Maine ACR-1 (Combrig)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:27 am 

Make them yourself then !

Image Image Image Image