The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:53 pm 

Hi All,

I would think it would be an interesting disscusion about these fine ships of the Swedish Navy.

Actually is anyone currently thinking, that it's sad that there are no produced models of this navy.

As I 'm about to scratchbuild the whole navy in the period 1940,
( A lenghtly process)
so any suggestions to start me off!

Jens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:05 pm 

Hi Jens
There are some card models available you could scale down and use as a template, Gota Lejon certainly is available. I would like to see a Drottnig Victoria, Rob K and I were discussing last week what Drottnig meant, can you enlighten us?

Good post by the way, a neglected navy.

Mike

www.finewaterline.com

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:05 pm 

What scale will you build?
And what ship is going to be the first?
Manligheten?

Where do you find plans? I am passing by Gothenburg in August and thought of passing by Sjöhistoriska museet to see if I can find some plans.

/Magnus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:19 pm 

Hi Mike

It means "Queen" and Gota Lejon would be an interesting build due to the fact she was the pride of the Swedish navy, for nearly 2 decades as being the largest ever built Swedish Ship.
also where can these card models be found?

Magnus I will be building in 1/700 and HMS Manligheten would be a good start and if you could be able to find some plans that would be great or I will
Look at the Krigs- Arkivet

Also one final note, I'll try to keep you posted with pictures of my builds as they take shape.

Jens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:40 pm 

Jens

http://jsc.pl/store/?d=produkt&id=80

For Gota Lejon, it is a 1:400 card model so you would need to scale it down if you want 1:700 but it can be done through a scanner and photoshop or similar. I thought Drottnig probably meant Queen or something similar.

Mike

www.finewaterline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:22 pm 

Krigsarkivet might not be a bad idea. I'll keep you posted if I can find something in Gothenburg.

There is also something called Marinlitteraturföreningen, they seem to have some books on the Swedish navy that might (or might not) be of interest: http://www.mlf.org

/Magnus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:23 pm 
Besides the previously mentioned paper kits, JSC also makes a Halland and Smaland kit in 1/400. Paper Shipwright makes several 1:250 late-19 century and early-20th century Swedish coastal ships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:03 pm 

Sorry, that last post was me. This site sells the JSC models mentioned above: http://www.papermodelstore.com/index.php
This is Paper Shipwright's website: http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/index.shtml

I can't speak to JSC's quality, but I've built PS's SMS Rhein and ACW Mortar Barge, and they're really nice kits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:53 am 

Thanks for the responses guys

I've already Got plans for a couple of ships, so I'm currently starting the Submarine Sjolejonet (1938) and I'll try to keep some pictures posted if possible.

Jens

Post subject: Swedish torpedo boat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:50 am 

There are actually two kits of Swedish torpedo boats.

Tamiya once released a plastic kit of the torpedo boat Polaris in the Plejad-class. I managed to find one on eBay and am waiting for its arrival. The pictures I saw at the auction make me think it is not a very accurate model, though (it is from the seventies). :eyebrows:

The other model, which I personally find more interesting, is a resin model from Choroszy Modelbud of Poland in 1/72 scale. It is an Italian torpedo boat in Swedish Service (T 11): http://www.modelbud.pl/modelbud/okrety/ang/s40.htm

Judging from the other kits on the site, this should be a very detailed (and pricey) kit.

But they're there, and they're Swedish! :big_grin:

/Magnus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:29 am 

Hi Magnus,
Thanks for the links, some interesting stuff.
I'm now currently underway in the building of the submarine HMS Sjolejonet , in 1940 and I'll try to post some pictures in the coming weeks.

Jens

Post subject: Swedish torpedo boats
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:15 pm 

The model from Choroszy Modelbud is a T.11 class MTB.

According to Conway's All the Worlds Fighting Ships 1922-1946, she was bought from Italy on 29 February 1940 (ex-MAS506). She was stricken on 28 June 1946; other ships in the same class (T.12 - MAS508; T.13 - MAS511 and T.14 - MAS524) also between 1946 and 1949.

The four boats were built by Baglietto in 1936 and sold to Sweden by the Italian Navy in 1940.

I have received the old Tamiya kit of the Plejad-class MTB. It is clearly one of the earlier Tamiya kits, since it comes with a small motor. The model is totally out of proportions and I would say that it only has a value for collectors. I would think that it is virtually impossible to build a decent model of a Plejad-class MTB out of this kit. The kit is missin two torpedo tubes (even if they are shown on the front of the box) etc etc. I guess I do not have to describe the guns (broomsticks).

One tell-tale sign of its age is the lack of Copyright years on the box...

Well, that's all for now.

/Magnus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:01 am 

It is for me a very good new know your building project.

I have plans of the sjolejonet submarine, very dificult to find, and also plans of the Draken submarine.

Neptun and Delfinen submarine (minelaying) are also good ones.
(I need plans of these submarines)

I am also interested on swedish surface vessels, like the destroyer Stockholm.(there are model plans available)

A great new :thumbs_up_1:

Joaquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:48 am 

masch3 wrote:
I have received the old Tamiya kit of the Plejad-class MTB. It is clearly one of the earlier Tamiya kits, since it comes with a small motor. The model is totally out of proportions and I would say that it only has a value for collectors. I would think that it is virtually impossible to build a decent model of a Plejad-class MTB out of this kit. The kit is missin two torpedo tubes (even if they are shown on the front of the box) etc etc. I guess I do not have to describe the guns (broomsticks).

One tell-tale sign of its age is the lack of Copyright years on the box...

Well, that's all for now.

/Magnus

Would you be able to post any photos of the Plejad kit? I'd be very interested to see it, even if it isn't much good; the only Tamiya torpedo boats I've ever seen are the Perkasa and PT-815.

What's the scale of the kit (or dimensions of the hull, if the scale isn't shown)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:10 pm 
Not sure if these ships were still afloat in WWII, but I ran across this website the other day. You might be interested.

http://www.hot.ee/dmitriev1/06e.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:47 pm 

G. Shoda wrote:
Not sure if these ships were still afloat in WWII, but I ran across this website the other day. You might be interested.

These three ships constituted the "battleship squadron" of the Swedish Navy during WWII. Right now I can't find my book on the Swedish Navy during the WWII years, but checking some other references I have found the following data:
HMS Gustaf V: Launched 1918, Modernized 1939, Deplacement ca. 7900 t, Speed ca. 22 kn; Armament: 4x28 cm, 6x15cm, 4x75mm AA-guns, 4x40mm AA-guns, 4x25mm AA-guns.
:destroyer:

IIRC the other two ships were about the same.

All three ships were scrapped shortly after the war.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:08 am 

Sten Ekedahl wrote:
G. Shoda wrote:

These three ships constituted the "battleship squadron" of the Swedish Navy during WWII. Right now I can't find my book on the Swedish Navy during the WWII years, but checking some other references I have found the following data:
HMS Gustaf V: Launched 1918, Modernized 1939, Deplacement ca. 7900 t, Speed ca. 22 kn; Armament: 4x28 cm, 6x15cm, 4x75mm AA-guns, 4x40mm AA-guns, 4x25mm AA-guns.
:destroyer:

IIRC the other two ships were about the same.

All three ships were scrapped shortly after the war.

Found the reference book today. These three ships were the last of the "pansarskepp" (armoured ship) type built for the Swedish Navy. A more international name for the class would probably be coastal battle ship.

HMS Sverige (Sweden) was the lead ship of the class, launched 1917. HMS Drottning Victoria (Queen Victoria) was launched in 1921 and HMS Gustaf V in 1922. All ships were modified several times in the late 20's and during the 30's. These changes mainly consisted in reducing the secondary armament and increasing the AA.

All three ships have at times served as flagship of the fleet.

HMS Sverige was decommisioned in 1953 and the other two as late as 1957. All were later sold for scrap. Wish at least one of them had been saved as a museum ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:43 pm 

Over the years the Naval Journal "Warship International" has done some very good articles on Swedish warships. Unfortunately, I sold off my entire collection of the journal a few years back. The articles were on the Torpedo Boats and Destroyers of the Swedish Navy and also the Cruiser that was a hybrid carrying aircraft.
I seem to remember some small Destroyers that were of Italian build that formed a part of Sweden's WWII Navy. Which ships were these?
Did any Swedish warship come under attack by accident in WWII. From submarine or aircraft? Did any Swedish warship fire back in defence?

Bob B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:56 am 

Hi Bengtsson,
There was HMS Psilander (destroyer) which were originaly Itailian and was sold to Sweden in 1940.

Also for your second question HMS Ulven (Submarine) was hit by a German Mine and sank in the southern Baltic,
in April 1943.

Yes and also on a final point: after studies of the RN aircraft carriers Sweden sought to build a aircraft carrier but due to problems with the tight budget of a smaller navy. The new cruiser HMS Gotland was converted instead, but she only had a compliment of around 6 aircraft, but this many was never carried and the idea was abandoned.
So she was converted to a AA cruiser by the early wartime period.

Jens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:24 pm 

JH wrote:
Hi Bengtsson,
Also for your second question HMS Ulven (Submarine) was hit by a German Mine and sank in the southern Baltic,
in April 1943.

Jens

Actually HMS Ulven hit a German mine in international waters off the west coast of Sweden, just north of Gothenburg. After having searched for a couple of months of she was eventually found and recovered by the Navy (and later scrapped). She was lost with all hands.