The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:20 pm 

The Manitowoc Maritime Museum Contest in Manitowoc, Wisconsin is coming up. I must say that this is the best 'pure ship' contest out there. They use a GSB format with many additional awards including best miniature, best paint (this prize includes an air compressor), best Great Lakes, modeler's choice, people's choice and judges best in show. There are modeler's symposiums and a very nice banquet awards dinner. In addition, they allow you to enter as a novice, intermediate, or advanced. They have helped me immensely as a modeler. It is a very difficult contest to win best of show, probably on the same level of difficulty as the Nationals. Several "best ships" and "best in shows" at the Nationals have come through this contest over the years. So, come down and check it out. The museum is also very interesting. The USS Cobia (submarine) is on display with daily tours. Here is a link to the registration materials:

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/filead ... __WSL_.pdf

I hope to see you there!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:18 pm 

I was wondering if anyone who has attended this show can recommend lodgings w/in the area- preferably with-in walking distance :) Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:28 pm 

There is a Best Western that shares the same parking lot. Right on the water. Very nice. Look up Best Western Manitowoc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:39 pm 

Thanks! I'll give it a look!

Regards,
Timothy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:12 am 

I am considering attending this - if I come on Sunday morning, will the models still be on display or do people start to leave on Saturday night? I live in Chicago and it looks like you have to take 1-43 to get there - is there a lot of traffic on this around Milwaukee or heavy construction anywhere that could add significant drive time?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:25 pm 

Hi Jeff-

I do not think you should have too many delays going through Milwaukee at those times. But, as it is road reconstruction time here, I believe there is some roadwork on I-43 going through the city, but I don't think it is too delaying going n/s. May want to check out your route here just in case.
http://www.511wi.gov/Web/traffic/road_closures.aspx

Regards,
Timothy

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:14 pm 

No models can be removed until 2:00 PM on Sunday. That's when people's choice is presented.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:43 pm 

Me and my friend Dwight should be up there around noon on Friday. Looking forward to some good times at the contest. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:09 pm 

Another great contest this year. :) :thumbs_up_1: Good to see you again, Joe. :wave_1: I should hopefully have all my pics uploaded either tomorrow or by the end of the week. I took a Third Place plaque in the Novice category for my USS Montana battleship.
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Now I just need to continue working on and finishing my USS Solace amphibious hospital ship for next year's contest which will be the 40th anniversary of the Manitowoc Maritime Model Contest at the Manitowoc Maritime Museum. It is hoped (and expected) to be a big contest next year.
http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/index.php
If anybody's looking for a contest to show their various naval warships and craft at, I would highly recommend this contest. Manitowoc, WI is a great place. Lots of good restaurants, tourist attractions, and so much more.