The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:58 pm 

I have just been informed that the Historic Warships at Birkenhead the largest collection of its kind in Europe is to close for the last time on 6th of February and if the warships , Falklands veteren HMS Plymouth along with HMS Onyx , Bronnington and the Type 1V U-boat cann't be found a new home then they will be broken up for scrap. Grim news indeed for all warship enthusiasts.
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:22 pm 

Location: turning into a power-hungry Yamato-models-munching monster... buahahahaha...
WHAT???? :lol_3: :lol_3: :lol_3:

You must be kidding, or what?? Breaking up???

Come on, please tell me that's some kind of a sick joke...

Jorit

Post subject: historic ships
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:26 pm 

:cry_3: :cry_3: where you hear this dave?? had some great days out there, nothing on the web page. this is where the frigate from egypt was going to come. a very sad day if this is true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:05 pm 
Hi everyone, yes it is true, I do alot of voluntary work on the ships at Birkenhead, I only found this out this evening also.

Trouble is the whole thing STINKS.

Here is the story so far.

The buildings adjacent to the ships where baught by a developer to turn inot luxury apartments last summer, because of this, the ships had to be relocated in February this year.

The timing of this is too much of a coincidence, the developer, PEEL Holdings, I will name and shame here, Birkenhead council and the Mersy docks and harbour company have not been able to agree on who is to pay what for the ships relocation within the dock system.

They see them as an eye saw or something that gets in the way to be honest. Not worth keeping, kinda thing. Sod the historical importance of all the vessels.

On top of this, the Trust's founder, Sir Philip is retiring at the same time.

So you see, this really stinks.

We where all ready to man the ships to be moved to their temporary new location and then a new permanent one when the word was given, we even got some deisel to run the Plymouth's generators if need be, this has all been overlooked. During this "moving" time the ships as museums would have had to be closed to the public at their most profitable time of year for the training of sea cadets and other young groups of people who spend weekends down there and longer sometimes.

If any one out there can or knows someone that can help us in this situation, all help we can get will be very greatfully received.

The whole thing just STINKS. :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :censored_2: :censored_2: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :censored_2: :mad_1: :mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:13 pm 
Something I neglected to mention, all last summer we where working hard and I mean hard to regenerate Plymouth's appearence and replace the decks on the minesweeper HMS Bronnington all by ourselves with no outside finances or help, all voluntary with any scraps of material we could lay our hands on. This really makes me mad. :censored_2: :censored_2: :censored_2: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :censored_2: :censored_2: :censored_2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:31 pm 

Just for anyone wondering, ps.ships and psships is me, sometimes it takes too much messing about with the password on log in when I am wanting to answer something quickly etc.

I am still seriously miffed about the historic ships at Birkenhead. :mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:44 pm 

alright, back to the topic.

this is horrible! there has to be SOMEWHERE to put them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:53 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
>snip< I am miffed enough as it is, get real, there is alot to lose with the historic ships just because some twits can't figure out their ass from their elbow.

Well Paul ,Its the same all over the u/k, people in charge could not give a :censored_2: , all they think about is making money, they dont like lame ducks , its a shame , but to them its progress, to us it a fight, :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:10 pm 

That is terrible news!!! I loved my visit there a few years ago :censored_2: :mad_1:

Here is a photo I took from a distance while walking from the Train station to the musuem.

I assume its the building behind and very nearby to the warships which are to be converted into Luxury Flats???

Its sad, sad news indeed, can anything be done?
Can they be moved to other parts of the dock?
I ask this as I remember there was alot of waste land around there.

Also is a move to somewhere more commericially appealing also a better idea? Say Devonport (Plymouth) or somewhere else which has a lack of historic ships???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:57 pm 

Further to what has been said so far Wirral local authority who have overall responsibility for the Historic Ships recently opend a $15million SPACE information Centre at Wallasey ferry terminal just one mile from the Historic ships site . This beggers belief, no disrespect to those with conections with space research,but what does the river Mersey and Brikenhead have in common with SPACE. Warships yes, we built some of the most famous warships in history yet money has been spent , in our name on a facility that has no conection at all with the area. A fraction of that money could have secured the long term future of these vessels for years to come. If the very worse comes to pass , which it looks that way then future generations will not forgive or forget in a hurry .The whole episode is just to sad for words.
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:16 pm 

I am Bloody gutted, to hear this sad new's. Bloody property developers, they don't give a s..t about anthing, but making millions and I bet they bought the site for next to nothing.

I wonser if Prince Charle's knows about this, the Bronnington was one of his old ships, surely he could at least try and secure the future of these vessels, if nothing else. But to break them up is scandalous. What about the german U-Boat, they spent thousands raising her and transporting it to Birkenhead.
They might just as well take her back out to sea and sink her again.
There should be a National Warship Museum set up some where, like Chatam Dockyard and it should be funded like the National Railway Museum, is at York. Ships such as Plymouth and Onyx are not famous enough to warrant saving, like the Victory. Now imagine if they decided to scrap her as well. :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 am 

It hits the local papers today and the nationals have been informed including the TV networks, lets hope something can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:40 am 
Plymouth has a claim to fame insomuch as the Argentinian Surrender of the Falkland Islands was signed in her wardroom.

I have visited these ships many times over the years and am shocked at the news.

Someone in authority wants a damn good kick up the you-know-what if what is proposed actually goes ahead.

Time to write to your respective MPs pronto.

There's also been a big fuss being made over Labour party policy over the 'regeneration' of various parts of Liverpool, where perfectly-sound, affordable quality housing is being knocked down to make way for 'apartments'. Our architectural heritage is also being lost to 'developers' in the drive to supposedly bring Liverpool 'upmarket'.

I have no proof, but I also have no doubt that certain Public and private snouts will be in the Public trough over this one too.

The evidence isn't conclusive but I reckon a jury would convict......

Dave(Shipbuilder)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:45 am 

I had heard a rumour about this before. As Birkenhead is my home town, I think this is a disgrace. To think also of all that spare dock space in Laird's,l or that they filled in the reduntant iron dock.

Nice to see Wirral Borough Council promoting tourism.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:02 am 

Guys
Sad to see some more naval heritage going
I would have thought that the ships would have bounced of the space atraction and visa versa
I would think that the council would have approched Chatham already
gary r uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:40 am 
Why not contact the BBC News folk?

Northwest region which covers Merseyside etc can be contacted here -

mailto:nwt@bbc.co.uk

This address is for the Northwest TV news folk, and if enough of us email, they might do a story, or investigative report. Anyone on here directly-connected to the Historic Warships Trust? If so, what is their take on this? We need some FACTS.

C'mon guys, surely we can get something moving?

Dave(Shipbuilder)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:53 am 

I have just emailed them with the following -

"I am led to understand that the Historic Warships Trust museum at Birkenhead is to be closed because of proposed new development.

More details can be found on this thread -

http://www.shipmodels.info/mwphpBB2/vie ... php?t=5863

We have just celebrated 'The Year of the Sea' here in the UK and I believe that the closure of this museum is a travesty if it goes ahead.
Perhaps you might like to highlight the story and do an investigative piece?
Kind regards
David"

PS :big_grin: I hope no one minds me posting a link to this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:07 am 

Just had a reply from the BBC news folk - That was quick!

Thanks for your e-mail Mr Martin. We did cover the planned closure last year, but will certainly keep abreast of the latest developments.

Here is a link to the story.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 343272.stm

Thanks again for getting in touch with us

Clare Purdy
Broadcast Journalist
BBC News website
North West
Tel: 01706 823492
E-mail: clare.purdy@bbc.co.uk
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/default.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:01 am 
I can't help thinking that people will be sorry when they're all gone, can't they find a home in the US, they have a much greater sense of British heritage!

Peter F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:42 pm 

I can't see why the City of Plymouth could not rescue HMS Plymouth at least. I'm sure there is some room for it at Devonport. Typical British Government and City Councils do not think about saving and preserving our heritage, it's always left to a group of volunteers, who put up money and give free manhours into restoring these things. If it wasn't for them, there woul be hardly any Transport Heritage at all. Just look at the Railway Heritage we have all thank's to Joe Public.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next