The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Another Response
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:22 am 

Here is the reply I received from Councillor Gardener. I am glad that some of the member of the Council are responding to my email, especially to Yank!

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your email. I’m sure that we all share your concerns about this fantastic museum and none of us wish to loose it from Wirral.

The Council has been working with Historic Warships to resolve this problem of relocation and is disappointed about their decision to liquidate. I understand that the decision of main private sponsor to withdraw
support this year has precipitated the crisis. I am assured that the Council will now be working with the receiver to look at all the options to find a home and retain the collection, exploring all options, the priority
being to try to keep the collection together, we are exploring all the funding options.

The Mersey Docks and Harbour Company had indicated that it is prepared to offer the Council (but not the Warship Preservation Trust Limited) a replacement licence to relocate the ships on a berth some 50 metres along the quay. The MDHC has advised that it cannot offer the U534 another site within their land ownership because of their redevelopment plans for the docklands area.

That did not solve either the problem of where to locate the Danish owned U534 or the financial relocation of Historic Warships and future revenue costs for the Council now that the sponsor is withdrawing.

A report is to be brought to the next meeting of the Cabinet, seeking ways to resolve these issues.

I hope that this is helpful

Cllr Gill Gardiner

[quote][/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:20 pm 

That councillor, David Ball, made a mistake with his numbers, the trust has only been losing between 5 and 10 thousand a year.
The sponsor is not pulling out, he is retiring he is 80 odd, this situation has arisen at a time where it looks very suspicious to us. We are like mushrooms,kept in the dark and fed manure. Plus the goal posts keep moving on us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:25 pm 

Hi everyone, due to the overwhelming public support for our crusade the historic warships at Birkenhead will be opening daily from Wednesday 25th January 2006 to 06 February 2006 when the attraction is at present still at the moment due to close for good, we hope that you will continue to help us with our most important "save our ships" campaign.

We have the developer's email address now, so IF ANYONE would like to bombard them with email also, their address is as follows.

email information@peelholdings.co.uk

Thankyou for your help everyone who has emailed the council so far.

Paul...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:37 pm 

Hi all, the latest update, it appears that something is afoot, but, as usual they won't tell the staff or volunteers what it is. This weekend just gone has been the site's buisiest ever with record numbers of visitors and offers of help with emailing and letters etc. Our email campaign continues to attract alot of support and also does our written petition which is available to add to at the museum shop.

People are comming from far and wide, the US, Germany, France, Australia, you name it, the response is fantastic, but, we are hoping that a desicion can be reached for saving the museum even if it has to move, will stay together, during the comming week. We are still due to be closed down at the close of buisnes on Sunday the 6th of February 2006

We fight on, Tally ho!!

Paul...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:39 pm 

psships wrote:
People are comming from far and wide, the US, Germany, France, Australia, you name it, the response is fantastic, but, we are hoping that a desicion can be reached for saving the museum even if it has to move, will stay together, during the comming week. We are still due to be closed down at the close of buisnes on Sunday the 6th of February 2006

We fight on, Tally ho!!

Paul...

I must add my bit to Paul's message, it was a very busy day and there were lot's of visitors from everywhere. There were quite a lot of families visiting and even women visiting the U-Boat. ( didn't have women in Subs, when I was in the Navy :heh: )

I would just like add again my congratulations, to the crews aboard these ships, what a wonderful job they are doing, to help keep the Historic Warships Museum intact. It's future is naturally, in the lap of the Gods, but without all the hard work, voluntarily, these guys are doing, there would be nothing to see. They have brought these ships, back to life, so that member's of the public, can see for themselves, what life aboard these ships was like and experience a little bit of the Falklands War, whilst touring H.M.S. Plymouth. Where as war vetran H.M. Submarine Onyx, tied up alongside, is equally restored to it's former glory, and gives a full acount what life was like aboard a conventional British Submarine. ( For me many happy memories, Done it, Been there, Got the T Shirt), but for those who have never been aboard a submarine, it is an experience you will never forget.

If these ships are not saved, the chance of our future generations, ever seeing them, will be lost. We cannot allow part of our Maritme Heritage to end up in the scrap yard, our son's, husband's, father's and even grandfather's, served and fought on these ships, to protect the nation, as did those on other ship's, during two world wars. We MUST NOT FORGET THAT, for future generations, these will be the only reminders of the men who served aboard them. As the Victory is to Nelson, and men of the eighteenth/nineteeth centuries, these ships are just as important to our Maritime History and to those that served and fought throughout the 1960's/ 70's and the Falklands War.

I know it has been very widly publicised, especially on this forum and that everyone has done their bit to try and get the message across, to those who are able to act on this. The more that it is kept in the news, the more chance there is of the ship's at least, can saved from the cutter's torch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:45 pm 

Hi guys, here is a new target for our email campaign, please train your sights accordingly, these are the guys who want us out of the way, so they can turn a grade 2 listed building into appartments besides scrapping our museum.

PLEASE BATTER THESE PEOPLE WITH EMAIL and anything else you can think of?

Modellers and sailors stick together in most cases, I hope you get my drift?

These are their contact email addresses.

mwhittaker@peelholdings.co.uk the main man!
pnears@peelholdings.co.uk
rbrewster@peelholdings.co.uk
mkitcher@peel.co.uk
drhodes@traffordcentre.co.uk

As many 16 inch rounds anyone can fire at these guys may make em wake up and think some????? Well ya would hope so?

Best regards, Paul...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:12 pm 

I think what Paul is aiming at, is to make them feel ashamed of themsevles.
These property developers have aquired this site, for possible peanut's compared to what it will raise, once turned into luxiary appartments.
The two buildings in question, will no doubt be able to accommodate at least two hundred, one, two, and three bedroom dwellings and if present day prices are anything to go by, they will start at £150, 000 for a one bedroom, rising to 250,000 for a three bedroomed appartment, multiply that by 200 and you are talking hundreds of millions of pounds as against probably £100,000 which they probably paid Wirral Borough Council for.

It is disgusting that comglomerates such as Peel Holdings, cannot even see further than their pockets. They are just out to make as much money as they can, for very little outlay and sod, who they have to tread on to acheive this.

Just the cost of one of their 1 bedroomed apartment's wouls secure the futuere of the Historic Warships Trust, by moving accross the quayside, to a site that could be developed for their future existance.
I think that Wirral Borough Council, would ensure this alternative site was secure for the future, but it is the capital needed to move the vessels and set up the new site, that is causing most of the problems.

If Peel Holdings had any remorse, they could certaily throw a few peanuts on the Historic Warships ( even if their are monkey's looking after them. :lol_3: :lol_3: Sorry Paul had to get that one in :thumbs_up_1: )

Bombard these get rich quick guys, and tell them what you think they could do, by helping to save part of our Maritime Heritage. Tell them, that, they would be more respected if they at least offered to help.
IT IS BETTER TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE. Drum it home to them. We are not asking for CHARITY, WE WANT YOU TO HELP THE FUTURE GENERATIONS OF THIS COUNTRY, by just donating 1% of your total proffit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:12 pm 

What dya mean "Monkey" LOL?

We are seriously getting tears in our eyes now and this comming week, the "Monkeys" will be comming out in more ways than one.

WE need to save this!

I personally can't beleive this support from you guys.
IT is absolutely SUPERB, PLEASE KEEP IT UP, in a sensible way as Tim said , c'mon guys, we will fight your corner too if this ever happens to you.

Our Radio shack on Plymouth regularly talks to other warships like this around the globe and has a big following, hell even the biker gangs are joining in, the one's that do the TT in the Isle of Mann.

its a stop off off em when they get off the ferry etc.

Its going mad.

I/ we can't thank you guys enough, please keep it up...

Paul...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:16 am 

It's up on the WEM news site now!

There's alos a link to an ITV item about the story.

Dave(Shipbuilder)

Keep us all posted as to any new developments.

:thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:11 pm 

Hi all, the latest news from the Historic warships.
The site closed to the public for the last time today after almost 15 years at Birkenhead.
As from tomorrow all but, 5 of the paid staff are redundant, the remainder of the paid staff will be made redundant on the 17th of this month.
At the moment the liquidater comes in on the 17th and starts to rip stuff out of the ships to sell off.
The ships themselves have to be moved from their current birth by the 26th and at the moment there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
It looks like the ships will be laid up somewhere else in the dock system and left unattended for the vandals and the elements to finnish them off.

We still hope that some last minute way of saving this unique attraction can be found before the 17th, but, it is not looking very good at the moment.
14 years of hard work down the drain for us.
The volunteers are taking this very hard also, not to mention the site's cafe which was a private venture within the site, the owner of that buisnes has just been kicked out too and left with nothing.

Paul...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:15 pm 

(*&$ man, that ()*&in' sucks. :mad_1: :mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:34 pm 

My heart goes out to all you good people at the Historic Warships at Birkenhead

I was one of the lucky ones who had the great pleasure of visiting 2 years ago and toured all the vessels including the U-boat.

I hope there is a last minute solution, there are so few RN vessels preserved, it would be shame if these all get trashed! :mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:39 pm 

I think the end is nigh, for these ships. Sad, but this is reality. Our Heritage is sadly being taken from us, slowly but surley. The Blackpool Trams as we know them, will soon dissapear, under the new Blackpool Transport Policy, when they upgrade to Fast Rapid Transit vehicles around 2012. Maybe a handful will survive, to be run on special occasions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:03 pm 

These people are doing this out of sheer greed for money and if we can't save them, where HMS Plymouth is concerned, they will do what the Argentinians in 1982 could not do, destroy her.
Paul...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:27 pm 

No one is willing to sponsor the upkeeping of the ships?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:30 pm 

Nothing like this Timmy never gets sponsorship in Brittain, until it's TOO LATE :mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:26 am 

Bloody h*ll. :mad_1: :mad_1: :mad_1:

Permission to get foul-mouthed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:53 pm 

For all the petitioning this topic has received, it looks like that the Historic Warships Appeal, has fallen on DEAF EARS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:00 pm 

Victorious wrote:
For all the petitioning this topic has received, it looks like that the Historic Warships Appeal, has fallen on DEAF EARS!!!

Some of them needed there ears cleaning, with a 16 inch shell, :lol_3: :lol_3: :lol_3: :jump_1: :jump_1: :wave_1: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: ARH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:53 am 

Hi all, the last update from me for a while?
The developers have moved into the site this morning, even though what they are doing is blocking fire access, even after being told by the fire service that what they are doing is illegal.

I have championed the ships for a long time now and no matter what ya do, you just get crapped on, I left the site this morning very, very bitter, as it appears to me that the powers that be have finally got the better of everything and this is happening after all our efforts.
I personally have taken two weeks out from my buisnes to help out with this, not at the best of times due to other commitments etc.
However, it is clear to me this morning that these ships need saving one way or the other, but, they are in serious need if they ever survive of new management.

I am just totally disgusted now and I doubt if I will ever return as a volunteer to the site.

Paul...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next