The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 221  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:30 am 

This: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/289989663497282425/ is about the best/clearest I've found (as yet) on the web.

EDIT: "that would require someone with more single-minded determination than myself"
+1 :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:59 am 

tjstoneman wrote:
The photo in RA Burt's British Battleships 1919-1945 is reproduced slightly more clearly in his earlier British Battleships 1919-1939 (and also appears, at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHDyUsyX0AE ... me=900x900, somewhat blurred); it looks like the multiple AA mountings on "Y" barbette and "X" turret are quadruple 0.5" guns. She also had a platform high on the port side of the after superstructure which looks like it might have carried a light AA mounting. Her 6" guns are absent (although they had been in place when she was bombed), and there were a few huts on her upper deck amidships.

Thanks for the corrections. I have a kindle version of Burt's book and I think that photo is clearer in the kindle edition than the link you provide. On further reflection I am sticking with quad pom pom on the quaterdeck, but am uncertain on the X and Y weapons. I dont consider them to be quad 0.5s as they are too big. In particular they are quite high which goes against them being pom poms as well. Dimensionally they are closer to UP launchers, but they dont look much like UP launchers either. 39 fit seems easier because there is a good photo out there to go on.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:18 pm 
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks

I believe I have seen box art for a 1/700 scale Colombo from Trumpeter on a Facebook post somewhere. As a sister to Calcutta, it would make sense. Had that been announced and I missed it?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:50 pm 
listed for 01.23 release on Trumperter news

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:54 pm 

Richard:

You’re not going crazy:

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.ph ... d=246&l=en

Mike E.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:16 pm 
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks

At least not regarding this!

Good to know, thanks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:41 pm 

The mountings on Iron Duke's "Y" barbette and "X" turret still look to me like shielded quadruple 0.5" gun mountings, with the characteristic offset drum magazines (those on the aimer's left lower than the ones on his right), and the slots for the sight mechanism at the top of the shield on each side - eg https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205185473. I guess Gcj and I will have to agree to differ!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:34 am 

I'm really enjoying the posts and pictures of HMS Iron Duke; there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum :thumbs_up_1:

All in all I think she really was a handsome vessel and, suffice to say, my order for the FlyHawk model has just been placed :woo_hoo:

DaveW

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:31 am 

Trumpeter's 1/700 Tashkent on pre-order.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10940410

Exeter 1/700 is on pre-order too, but to me Tashkent is the more significant subject, and likely to remain uncovered elsewhere.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:46 am 

embarked wrote:
Exeter 1/700 is on pre-order too, but to me Tashkent is the more significant subject, and likely to remain uncovered elsewhere.

There is a 1/700 resin kit of Tashkent by Combrig available for many years ;)

Ok, in case of Exeter as in 1942, there is also the ŘOP/Samek, Niko Model and Aoshima kit (plus the Matchbox kit of the 1939 fit)...

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:41 pm 
No the new Trumpeter Exeter is the 1939 version. Article nr. 06744

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:43 pm 

embarked wrote:

:woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:05 pm 

embarked wrote:

Ooooh yes.. I've been waiting for this!

We really do need more Soviet WWII stuff in plastic.A Gnevny, Kirov or rebuilt Gangut class wouldn't go amiss.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:35 am 

MorgenergyModels wrote:
Ooooh yes.. I've been waiting for this!

We really do need more Soviet WWII stuff in plastic.A Gnevny, Kirov or rebuilt Gangut class wouldn't go amiss.

Couldn't agree more, specifically in 1/700th!

(Maxim, thanks for your input, :wave_1: however there are many of us who simply prefer not to work with resin full stop :smallsmile: )

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 am 

Quaestor wrote:
(Maxim, thanks for your input, :wave_1: however there are many of us who simply prefer not to work with resin full stop :smallsmile: )

Apparently, notwithstanding that many resin kits are much easier to built and that there are much more kits available. That is you decision, fine. I was reacting to statement that Tashkent would "likely to remain uncovered elsewhere". The statement was not "likely to remain uncovered in plastic by other plastic kit producers".

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:09 pm 

PaulC wrote:
Hanchang Kuo wrote:
Flyhawk 1/700 HMS Iron Duke.

This is already up for sale on eBay from obviously related Chinese sellers (same price/shipping for most) in both basic and "set" versions.

What an excellent surprise for Christmas!! :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin:

Looking at Iron Duke, it's really not a "basic" version at all. It's a deluxe version given that there are 3 PE frets, plus main and secondary brass barrels and 3D printed casemates for the secondary armament. The "set" version is a further upgrade with wood deck, name plate, paint mask and display base. There is no "basic" version available at this time, even though the kit seems to have all the parts to build a basic version in plastic, without touching the extras.

Wonder what the strategy is? (For my level, I only need basic! :huh: )

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:14 pm 

embarked wrote:

wonder if they fixed windows on the conning tower. In 1/350 they are wrong (some kind of small slats instead of big square windows).

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:08 pm 

pascalemod wrote:
Still, the logic of building WW1 stuff in WL and WW2 - in Full hull. I dont get it... Is it that the Jutland people all table top play them and dont build them out and WW2 people want more? I dont get FH logic at all in offering Jutland ships in WL only and everything else in FH. :D

I know that WWI is eminently more playable in 1/700 than is WWII. I cannot recall the scale of the ships we used in the 1970s/80s, but it was larger than the 1/1200 scale that dominated then. Many of the ships were scratch-built, though, as WWI ships are not as difficult to scratch build as the earlier Pre-Dreadnoughts or the later WWII with all the radar and detail parts.

But I now use 1/700 for both.

Even though we need nearly ½ a basketball court for WWII, and only a decent living-room floor for WWI. The increase in ship-speed and gun range is incredible over that period.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:36 pm 

From the Hobby Link Japan site a new/impending release of the Admiral Gorshkov frigate in 1/700 scale.

https://www.hlj.com/1-700-scale-russian-navy-ffg-project-22350-dmo70015

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:51 am 

pascalemod wrote:
Still, the logic of building WW1 stuff in WL and WW2 - in Full hull. I dont get it... Is it that the Jutland people all table top play them and dont build them out and WW2 people want more? I dont get FH logic at all in offering Jutland ships in WL only and everything else in FH. :D

I think it's all about cost effectiveness. Flyhawk guys do realise that WW2 ships are much more popular than WW1 subjects, so they are able to invest more time and resources into a WW2 ship. I can imagine that a lower hull increases development costs significantly - that's at least one big chunk of plastic to be slide-molded, plus one additional sprue with screws, display stand etc. Apparently they did a simple math and figured that it is feasible to make WW2 full-hulls, but not WW1 ones. Look what happened with full hull Derfflinger and Lutzow released by Snowman Models - they don't seem to be selling very well.

I bet the only change we can expect is that Flyhawk will stop releasing full-hulls entirely, like Trumpeter did a while ago.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 221  Next