The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Midship Models ?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:38 pm 

Anybody know anything about 1/700 Midship Models? Says on the box made by Trident, and everything else is printed in US. I just got the USS Mahan in 1942 outfit. It's a mix of good and not so good. Upper hull and main deck are a single piece with separate forecastle deck. Moulded detail is not too heavy, and splinter shields (if they're not supposed to be railings/dodgers) are quite thin. However, the weapons are on a separate "generic" sprue and have some flash. There are no hause holes (easily drilled) but also no anchors, and no anchor chain, either moulded on or separate. Absolutely no PE, but a full decal sheet of US numbers, signal flags, and national ensign is included by MicroScale. Dress it up with some left-overs and it could be a nice model. Nowhere near Flyhawk or Dragon quality; maybe closer to Trumpeter. :wave_1:

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Midship Models ?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 pm 

Midships sold everything to the owners of Freetime Hobbies. That also included the old Classic Warships resin business as Midships had acquired everything (including the casting equipment) except the name and the publishing part of Classic. Event weere soon to prove this to be a smart move by Classic Warships owner.

I was one of the Admiral's Club members that put up $150 each to finance Midships investing in the expensive molds that allowed Chris Decker to take on the risk of starting production of models that were not available anywhere. We didn't get the exact kits that were projected but I can't complain as I understood the risks. I think each Admirals Club member received 3 kits from 3 time periods for 5 classes of destroyer. So at comes out to $10 for each.

Freetime set their business up as BlueRidge and for awhile you could obtain the old Classic kits. BlueRidge then started upgrading some of the Classic kits -- they were really nice and well cast -- But I guess their business model did not anticipate Trumpter producing decent kits in plastic. This was especially true when BlueRidge's pricing for 1/700 their super-nice resin battleships jumped from $125 to $250. This is after all a business so you can't fault anyone for these decisions. It is important to note that all of these parties contributed to the amazing growth of our hobby.

I may be a bit off about some of this but I think I have the basics about right.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 am 

As a member of the Admirals Club also I saved the correspondence and I still have the "T" shirt! Here is some history from the correspondence and my recollections:

1.In the 2003 Announcement, the initial kits to be included were the four Gridley/Benham kits, two Mahans, two Farraguts and three Northampton Class cruisers. The Farraguts and the Northampton cruisers were never produced but two additional Mahans were eventually added. A total of eight destroyer kits were produced and shipped, four each in 2004 and 2006. Four large prints of box art were sent in 2006 with the four Mahans (plus the "T" shirt).

2. In 2004 a letter announced the next kits would be the Mahans and the Farraguts expected for 2005 followed by the New Orleans cruisers(!). No mention was made of the Northamptons and this was the only mention of New Orleans class cruisers as far as I know.

3. I recall that when the Club was discontinued that some form of compensation, possibly a discount was offered but I have no notes on that.

4. MidShip did market a Cleveland CL-55 (MPK705) in their packaging with instructions in their format. The kit was a duplicate of the Pit Road kit. I recall that this was a separate purchase, not part of the Club deal.

Comments always appreciated on the history of Trident's Admirals Club.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 am 

I started building the kit last night. It's more disappointing than first expected. Parts breakdown and construction is very last (or older!) generation. Don't think there is any slide-molding. All joints need to be puttied, and there are no locating holes/pins, or ridges, for superstructure components on the decks; so you have to use some reference to judge correct placements. The fore-deck is slightly wider than the hull so it needs narrowing once it's glued down, and then you lose part of the molded on bollards/fairleads that are on the deck edge. There are two particularly annoyingly visible "innie" push pin marks on the front faces of the bridge superstructure. So far, some major errors on the instruction sheet involving non-existent parts and numbers. Guess I've just been spoiled by Flyhawk!! There is a glowing review on Cybermodeller: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits ... 0007.shtml with the verdict "definitely recommended", but with "minor fit challenges"! Obviously the reviewer didn't actually try building the kit. I hate it when a reviewer endorses a kit highly, and it turns out to be a dog!
:Tirade:
edit: Sorry, the Cybermodeler review is for a 1938 version of Mahan, but as 90% of the parts are the same, my criticism still stands. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm 

I have a mess of Midship DDs, and even a couple of sets of the dedicated PE for a few of them (I have 18 of the kits, which includes complete classes for a few of the ships - I still have a few to go to get the complete classes of the ships serving in the pacific(I have the complete Gridley and Dunlap classes - 6 ships, and I have 6 Mahans - 14 more to go, 4 of the 6 Benhams in the Pacific in 1942, and 2 of the 8 Bagleys). And I have one of their Cleveland CLs.

As the "CASF" thread indicates, they take quite a bit of work to make accurate, especially given that the stacks are only correct for two out of the 5 classes of ships.

But they are easy to get the remaining details needed corrected, and a couple of 3D printed stacks are available for a couple of the ship-classes (DDs).

I have yet to do more than build the sub-components for one of the ships, given that I started them before I realized the work that would be needed to correct many of the components.

But when I get around to building them, I suspect that with the addition of some resin gun-houses, brass barrels (which I already have), aftermarket Torpedo Tubes, PE, anchor chain (and Anchors), and a few scratch-built components and they will likely produce some stunning little DDs.

The Cleveland CL has a lot more problems given that the hull is all wonky (no tumblehome, and the stern is kinda funny). But I am hoping that someone will produce a new Cleveland by the time I get around to building it for the 1943 Pacific WWII ships I want/need.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 am 

Len / Steve:

I would concur with your timelines :). There was a discount offered at the end of the Admirals club. I like to think we made good by the $150 people gave us, as club members also got continuous discounts on orders above other customers. Alas, plan often don't work out as anticipated, but I look back with fondness and not regrets.

Chris Decker

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm 

I've only built ONE Midship models kit. My first and LAST. They are less a kit than an invitation to scratch build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 pm 

djandj wrote:
I've only built ONE Midship models kit. My first and LAST. They are less a kit than an invitation to scratch build.

:lol_3: :lol_3: I'm starting to realize that! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm 

Chris Decker wrote:
Len / Steve:

I would concur with your timelines :). There was a discount offered at the end of the Admirals club. I like to think we made good by the $150 people gave us, as club members also got continuous discounts on orders above other customers. Alas, plan often don't work out as anticipated, but I look back with fondness and not regrets.

Chris Decker

Thanks for the info about the discount. I wasn't sure about that. I saved all the other paper work plus the "T" shirt which I still have in the original packaging! The "Admirals Club" offered a new approach for USN destroyer and cruiser subjects and I jumped at it. I have been building the DD kits "almost OOB" forever adding platforming extensions on the fore-decks of the Gridleys, the splash shields on Mahan foredecks and splicing together Benham stacks to raise them. I enjoy working on these kits part-time which are the only "1500 ton" DDs ever done in plastic (except Tamiya's Hammann which is not technically a Treaty design although it was based on the Benhams). The biggest recent news were the Mk33's which 3D produced plus the surprise from Steve Larsen (MM) with his Benham stacks. What I have always been curious about was what happened to the Northampton kit development work once the New Orleans replaced them. Again thanks for taking on the Admirals Club project. I enjoyed the ride!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 am 

Funny, I recently moved, and one of the things I found in the move was the old "Admiral's Club" card!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:22 pm 

djandj wrote:

I am discovering that this is pretty much the case.

The models are handy for the hulls, which are the hardest part to Scratch-build.

And a few of the other bits are handy as well.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Report this post