The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 pm 

I want to scratch build the hanger deck on my 1/700 dragon belleau woods and this seems as good a place as any to start from. Anybody else have any ideas?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:39 pm 

I already posted a reply to this same topic you posted at the Trading Post board.

Haijun watcher wrote:
Scans of the full instructions of this 1/350 kit, and many other kits of other brands, can be found at the link below:

1999.co.jp listing: 1/350 USS Independence by Dragon

Scroll down to the tab marked "Assembly Guide" and you'll see the scans of the full instructions.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:48 pm 

I found out about a detail I didn't know about when we did the kit (conflagration station) on my last research trip. It truly is something that only God would know is there, but let me know if you're interested and I'll mention a few things that weren't in the kit.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 pm 

Yes I would be very interested in any such information. Now that I have seen the instructions to the 1/350 Dragon kit I realize they won't help me. They don't show both sides of the hanger deck for one thing and they don't show the side they do show with enough clarity for me to use them to scratch build this is 1/700 scale. It seems you would be the perfect person to ask....where can I get drawings of this hanger deck? Do the ones from Floating Drydock of the Belleau Wood show the hanger deck? They're on vacation at Floating Drydock til the 15th of this month,(Hey I'm a model builder! We are not a patient lot when we need information!), so I can't ask them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 pm 

CVL-26 – USS Monterey – Booklet of General Plans, 1950, Plate 16 missing. Independence Class http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... /cvl26.pdf
http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-d ... ns-online/

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:58 pm 

Thanks...I just got done taping to a board my blown up copy of the hangar deck from that source.....now if I can find elevations of the two sides to go with some photos I will have what I need to proceed. Thanks to all who are helping.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:34 pm 

The Conflagration station I mentioned is on sheet 9, port side, just aft and opposite of the #4 exhaust trunk. It was literally only half-height, with the windows at floor level. As far as I can tell the sailors who manned this needed to be laying down on their stomachs to see anything. Note, too, that the midships hangar bay doors open INWARD instead of the customary outboard.

I discovered, after staring until I was cross-eyed, that there were only a couple of ventilator shapes and you could tell which one by the vent on the outside. Once I figured this out, it made doing the inside of the 350th kit a lot easier.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am 

Hello Tracy, Thanks for the info. All the books I have Squadron, Warships illustrated and John Lamberts don't have pictures of the hanger deck. This weekend i'll go through all the internet ie. nav/source ones, do you know of any others pictures or drawings etc.? In a day or so I can contact Floating Drydock to see if there Belleau wood drawings include the hanger deck elevations, does anybody else know the answer to this. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 pm 

The CVL-22 site has some photos on "Pics 2," "Pics 3," and "Pics 4." Fifth floor of NARA II has some photos (third floor has plans, second floor has some random photos I stumbled across and sent to Navsource).

One thing to keep in mind when looking at photos of the elevators is that there were two types used on the class. I don't have my documents on it with me and will try to verify tonight, but I think the first four had one type and the rest the other (it might be the first three, so either way Belleau Woods matches CVL-22 Independence and CVL-23 Princeton). The visual difference is that original design had the elevator track in the outboard center and lift cables at the four corners and the later ships the opposite (tracks at the corners and lift cables in the outboard center. So, this photo of CVL-26 Monterey is not a good detail reference for your build)

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 pm 

scots, what elevation drawings of the hanger are you looking for?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:31 pm 

hello, What I'm looking for is drawings of the side and end elevations of the hanger deck and any pictures to help clarify the details/drawings. I would settle for pictures of the pieces from the dragon 1/350 kit with a ruler next to them that would show what dragon did. I'll be working at 1/700 scale so I probably won't end up with as detailed a pieces as the 1/350 kit but they will be good enough. Thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 pm 

sheet 9 shows the end hanger deck walls as being flat to the rear of the aft elevator & forward of the front elevator.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 pm 

scots navy wrote:
hello, What I'm looking for is drawings of the side and end elevations of the hanger deck

Not going to find that from any source I know of, including the Navy. As far as what we did for Dragon, it was literally looking at the intake screens on the outside of the hangar bay and plopping the appropriate ventilator shape on the inside of that. The Hangar bay was one of the last things that was done, after all of the external details had been drawn and corrected (and in the case of the wildcats and stern bulkhead, missed. Sorry about that!) I don't know that measuring things out is going to be any better. There's a likelihood that internal placement is off "in reality" as we didn't use plans at that point, just the outside as a reference point. Shouldn't be more than a foot or two in scale, but as cramped as that area was.....

Also, be aware that the 1/350th kit started as a scale-up of the 1/700 kit but that they scrapped that CAD entirely and redrew from scratch due to inaccuracies we found with the initial CAD. Simply scaling their 1/350th parts down won't work without test fitting and adjustment. Likewise, working from official plans will probably also result in some misplacement in appearance as Dragon was not working from plans on the 700th kit that I am aware of (based on what we saw in the 700th scale CAD when we started. I never asked, just focused on pointing out things to change and update).

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:31 pm 

Thanks Tracy for your reply. Given that the drawings I want don't exist then pictures of the 1/350 scale pieces next to a ruler sound like the best I can hope for. I realize there will be discrepancies I have to reconcile...it is 1/700 scale and you will only be able to see through the open roll up doors and where the elevators are down. I like to build models for my sanity/fun, anything else involves too much angst. Can anyone take pictures...I don't want to have to buy the 1/350 kit if I can avoid it. I don't even know if it is available. thanks All.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 pm 

I'll see what I can do. I know I loaned my CVL-23 kit out for a review and still haven't got it back yet and that I have a fair amount of CVL-22 test shot pieces, but some of those wouldn't have all of the hangar bay details and I can't remember if I had to give all my CVL-22 kits away or not (I had to promise kits to some people to get information from them we could use). Even though I want to build a couple I can't remember that I actually have a full one, in summary. If I do I'll get you some pictures this weekend.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 am 

First three ships:

Attachment:
1945-4-18ElevatorSag01.jpg
1945-4-18ElevatorSag01.jpg [ 33.8 KiB | Viewed 99 times ]

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:50 pm 

thanks Tracy, whenever you can get to it will be fine. The adult in me said that, the modelbuilder is like a kid waiting for Christmas....

Report this post