The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm 

ru-Color Paint is pleased to announce the new releases of U.S. Navy and Imperial Japanese Navy Ship colors that will ship (or have started to ship) for the first quarter of 2018. All of these are for WWII era ships.

TCP-1005 5-L Light Gray, Early 1941
TCP-1006 5-O Ocean Gray, Late 1941
TCP-1008 5-S Sea Blue, Version C
TCP-1010 Deck Blue 20B, 1942-19846
TCP-1011 Cavite Blue
TCP-1018 5-O Ocean Gray, Early 1941
TCP-1021 5-D Dark Gray
TCP-1022 Norfolk 250N Flight Deck Stain
TCP-1023 Navy Brown 1-A, 1942
TCP-1106 IJN Sasebo Arsenal Gray A
TCP-1107 IJN Kure Arsenal Gray A
TCP-1108 IJN Maizuru Arsenal Gray A
TCP-1109 IJN Yokosuka Arsenal Gray A
TCP-1110 IJN Type 1 Camouflage Green
TCP-1111 IJN Type 2 Camouflage Green

All of these are available in 1 oz. (30ml) bottles at $ 5.69 each suggested list and 2 oz. (60ml) bottles at $ 10.25 each from your favorite hobby shop, online store or from us directly.

Note that the remaining 4 Imperial Japanese Navy colors will be released in April, 2018.

These and the entire military paint line will be on display and for sale at the IPMS National Convention (August 1-4, 2018) in Phoenix, AZ. Drop by our tables for a chat, place your orders to ship to you or purchase there. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the convention.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to reply to this forum, call or email us.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779
email: tru.colorpaint1@yahoo.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 pm 

:thumbs_up_1:

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:59 pm 

Hi Martin,

Forgive me if it has already been mentioned, but do you plan to release a Kriegsmarine line of Tru-Color paints ?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm 

I have most of the Trucolor paint that I need for my project. 5-0 late is already in my possession!

What I missed terribly was that there was no "wood" colored paint, specifically Teak. Teak was the prime wood used for decks in nearly all navies. Along with German colored paint, it would be nice to have a "teak" color... :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:21 pm 

Ted Bunn wrote:
Hi Martin,

Forgive me if it has already been mentioned, but do you plan to release a Kriegsmarine line of Tru-Color paints ?

Ted:

We had not mentioned Kriegsmarine as yet. Main reason is TIME, both in the R & D lab to do the color matching (we have the color chips from Randy Short) and in the production plant to make product. With the IPMS National Convention (August 1-4, 2018) being close at hand we need to have the ENTIRE Tru-Color Paint military product line that has been scheduled for 2018 ready for display and sale at that convention.

To answer your question though - YES, we intend to add the Kriegsmarine colors to the line. Our best guess right now is very late 2018, early 2019.

The 10 IJN Navy colors will ALL be released by April, 2018 - so they have already been matched and produced !

Of the Kriegsmarine colors - what colors are the most important for us to add first in your opinion ? If we can get a consensus of which colors should be matched first we will see when we can schedule R & D time for the project.

It is interesting that after the U.S. and IJN colors, the most requested area for ship colors that we have seen is German ships rather than the Royal Navy. Anyone have an idea why that is ?

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 pm 

Guba wrote:
I have most of the Trucolor paint that I need for my project. 5-0 late is already in my possession!

What I missed terribly was that there was no "wood" colored paint, specifically Teak. Teak was the prime wood used for decks in nearly all navies. Along with German colored paint, it would be nice to have a "teak" color... :smallsmile:

We have 3 wood colors in the Tru-Color Paint product line, but do not know if any of them would be close to Teak. These are TCP-348 Weathered Gray Wood (not close!), TCP-349 Seasoned Wood and TCP-350 Natural Wood.

Randy Short was going to send us a sample of actual Teak wood for us to match, but with the issues he has faced over the last few months there has been a delay in that. Would any Teak wood sample suffice ? If we can get a sample in a hobby shop, we will see if any of our products can come close or we will work on it in the R & D lab.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 am 

trucolorpaint wrote:
Ted Bunn wrote:
Hi Martin,

Of the Kriegsmarine colors - what colors are the most important for us to add first in your opinion ? If we can get a consensus of which colors should be matched first we will see when we can schedule R & D time for the project.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Thank you for the information, Martin. Personally, I would say the following colors would be a good start for most surface ships:

Hellgrau/Silbergrau
Dunkelgrau
Hellgrau
Mittelgrau
Schiffsbodenfarbe Rot 5

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am 

trucolorpaint wrote:
Ted Bunn wrote:
It is interesting that after the U.S. and IJN colors, the most requested area for ship colors that we have seen is German ships rather than the Royal Navy. Anyone have an idea why that is ?

It's German! If you look at model availability across the spectrum, there is not only a model of damned near ever variant of Messerschmidt and panzer, there is a new tool and several re-boxings with alternate decals and markings! There's a very keen interest in german stuff and it seems to regularly sell well, even though it's all been done before multiple times.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 am 

On the issue of Royal Navy paints, the problem is there is no widespread agreement on what several British colors look like, yet.
I have all the old colorcoat paints and I really have no idea which ones are even close, now.
I think you would be wise to wait and see what the jury agrees on.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 pm 

trucolorpaint wrote:
Randy Short was going to send us a sample of actual Teak wood for us to match, but with the issues he has faced over the last few months there has been a delay in that. Would any Teak wood sample suffice ? If we can get a sample in a hobby shop, we will see if any of our products can come close or we will work on it in the R & D lab.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

I have in my possession a plaque made from a piece of teak wood deck from my last ship. Do you need an actual piece? Or would a photo do as well?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:40 am 

I've got some pieces of raw deck I bought from Battleship Iowa. Only need one. It hasn't been holystoned "for quite some time" though so I'm not sure how you could extract that color from the pieces we have.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 am 

Martin,

Members of the USS NEW JERSEY Reunion Assn. who attended the 1991 reunion in Daytona Beach, FL each received a bag with a piece of the teak deck inside. This was decking taken from the ship when she was decommissioned in 1991 in order to place dehumidification equipment on the after main deck. Here is a photo of my "deck plug" mounted on an oak plaque where I have it displayed:
Attachment:
resized Deck Plug Close Up.jpg
resized Deck Plug Close Up.jpg [ 127.33 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]

I only lightly sanded the plug and then sprayed it with clear satin poly.

Here is a recent photo I received from The NJ Battleship group in Camden of a portion of the 01 Level Stbd. side where the ongoing deck refurbishment project is underway:
Attachment:
resized small BB62 01 Level Teak Decking_1.jpg
resized small BB62 01 Level Teak Decking_1.jpg [ 186.34 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]

So, here is the actual teak that should give you a really good idea of what it looks like when it's new!

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late 1940 1:200
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
Finished:
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:09 am 

BB62vet wrote:
Martin,

Members of the USS NEW JERSEY Reunion Assn. who attended the 1991 reunion in Daytona Beach, FL each received a bag with a piece of the teak deck inside. This was decking taken from the ship when she was decommissioned in 1991 in order to place dehumidification equipment on the after main deck. Here is a photo of my "deck plug" mounted on an oak plaque where I have it displayed:
Attachment:
resized Deck Plug Close Up.jpg

I only lightly sanded the plug and then sprayed it with clear satin poly.

Here is a recent photo I received from The NJ Battleship group in Camden of a portion of the 01 Level Stbd. side where the ongoing deck refurbishment project is underway:
Attachment:
resized small BB62 01 Level Teak Decking_1.jpg

So, here is the actual teak that should give you a really good idea of what it looks like when it's new!

Hope this helps,

Hank

It bleaches out from the sun pretty quick though. I have a tin of Colourcoats Teak and it is almost a light flesh, actually more of an almond color.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 am 

Teak
teak
teak
teak
teak

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:32 pm 

I see where Teak would be an important color to add to the product line for not only naval ships, but ship modeling in general. The issue I see is that Teak - like most woods - has a grainy, multi-color appearance. Also, the last picture sent of the new floor being placed shows multiple colors in the planks themselves.

The color we would have to make would be more like a stain rather than a paint. It is something we will have to look at in the lab to see if we can do this with our base formulas.

As for the Royal Navy - perhaps 6 colors or so would suffice to cover the models that are available ? Your opinions, please.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:40 pm 

Martin - as far as teak or wood goes, perhaps it would be better to think of a "system" for wood paints. Most of us who try and replicate wood with paint use a system wherein 3-4 different colors are painted first and then a final coat is applied to tie them together. I wrote about this some tome ago here (scroll to the bottom) and Charles Lamdrum showed off his teak efforts here about half way down. Devon Poore demonstrates in 1/48 here and here.

It's essentially pre-shading, and perhaps developing a system wherein you have similar wood tones (dark, medium, light wood) meant to be applied before the unifying wood color (teak is one possibility, but you could maybe do aged wood for railroad and military vehicle modelers?) would be worth considering.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 pm 

My teak plaque has no stain on it and it's a lot lighter in color. I agree that teak exposed to sunlight and getting holy stoned once in a while will look lighter.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 pm 

Guba wrote:
Quote:
My teak plaque has no stain on it and it's a lot lighter in color. I agree that teak exposed to sunlight and getting holy stoned once in a while will look lighter.

AND DARKER A teak decked warship at sea that sees action will also have the normal wear and tear of salt air/water/sea spray and any number of natural and man-made elements on it, in it, etc. etc. No different than the painted sides of ships that come home after 6 months deployed almost black in some areas from the constant exposure to the elements. In addition, firing bag guns leaves a nasty residue that covers the deck and while hosing it down and later holystoning, these operations ALSO have a tendency to imbed this debris into the decking, thus darkening it. It's all rather random at best.

However, I think that THIS discussion is aimed at the modeler striving to produce a museum quality (or something akin to that) model that would represent the decking as new - as they would represent any other part of the model. Those building a diorama or waterline display already have many weathering effects to choose from with which to create the effects they desire.

In this instance, I think that Martin has stated a very good argument FOR a stain rather than a solid paint. I would totally agree that this approach would work better for those using a 3rd party or kit supplied wooden deck. Once again, the variances in the individual pieces of any given deck kit will differ, so the results will differ just as it does with any other type of wood stain.

For achieving a teak effect on a plastic deck, perhaps Martin could actually approach this from the standpoint that Tracy makes (I read thru his links) and come up with some kind of opaque or solid paint that perhaps could be produced in a couple different shades (dark/light) or (aged/new) etc.

Hank
(currently under no ballistic missile threat here in NC :doh_1: !!)

Builder's yard:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late 1940 1:200
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
Finished:
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:32 pm 

No matter what system that is possible to develop for Teak - stains or a series of paints - what should be the finish of the product(s); glossy, semi-gloss or flat ? From what we have read Teak seems to have an anti-slip property which gets better with washing down the deck with salt water so the Teak acquires a flat finish over time ?

Is the intent to put a Teak color (stain) over a wood floor ? Or is paint required over scribed plastic ?

Lots of questions - need direction.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:36 pm 

Martin - I would personally prefer a paint and not a stain. I work in plastic and not wood decks.
Prefer flat paint for the opacity. If I need a glossy surface I have various gloss coats and techniques to use.

Wood decks were used primarily for cooling (oddly enough) but also due to better wet weather usability (i.e. the non-skid you referenced). Not all decks were teak - US Aircraft carriers used Douglas fir but it was stained "Mahogany" pre-war:
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/28 ... 1a27d.html
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/3d ... 47b50.html
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/99 ... 9ec92.html

and a variety of colors after the war started that were designed "to match" Deck Blue and Ocean gray (although there were variations based on the fact that one was a stain and the other a paint)

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post