The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 am 

Just wondering what your opinions/observations are... Seems to me that 1/200 was a big deal a few years back but the enthusiasm for it has died off with no new kits/aftermarket (minus a couple of KM Veteran Model bits) put on the market and very little in the way of online builds or discussion.

So was it just a fad after all? Maybe 1/200 fans are just backlogged with unfinished/unbuilt monster kits (like me :whistle:) and aren't generally buying 1/200 stuff anymore?

It's become my favorite scale and I'd really hate to see 1/200 scale die off completely. :cry_3:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am 

I bought the Arizona because she's my girl, but otherwise the completed kits are too big and too expensive for me to do more than one or two for an oddball scale.

Now, gimme some more 1/144 destroyers and smaller!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:16 am 

Well I'd build a 1/200 Enterprise should it turn up, but then only if the extra aircraft are available. This is the reason I didn't get the 350 intrepid kit

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:50 pm 

I still like 1/200, I just don't build at a pace that ever gets anything done. I get distracted easily, so I have lots of gaps in my building.

If I have more time available I would get more done. Or maybe kill off a few other hobbies. I've got a Hood & Bismarck in the closet waiting to be built sometime after I finish Arizona. I still want a Nelson and Iowa and whatever other kits may come in the future.

Damn my inability to finish things.

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:44 pm 

I would have liked Cruisers and Destroyers included in this scale.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 pm 

Yeah, I've got one of 12 1/192 USS Indianapolis kits sitting in the stash and paid stupid money for it... would be a great project that isn't as overwhelming a big BB but still just as interesting to build/look at when it's finished. I still wonder why Trumpeter (or anyone else for that matter) hasn't done a 1/200 Indy, Fletcher class or similar subject.

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:30 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

We do see some beautifully built models in 1/200 scale on this site.

-Steve Larsen

Catalogs of over 1900 designs for scale modelers:
3D-printed gray resin (best material!) - https://www.model-monkey.com/
3D-printed Shapeways' white acrylic - https://modelmonkey.wixsite.com/modelmonkey

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm 

I assume that you are referring to 1/200 Trumpeter battleships and carriers

The hobby shops I go to will have just one 1/200 ship and it usually will sit there for a year before being purchased.
Once they sell out though its usually gone forever. Even online, if it is sold out then they will likely not receive another one.

Due to the size and complexity of 1/200 scale its really reserved for a subject that a modeler is very interested in.
The space needed to display and assemble is significant in comparison to 1/350 where a 1/350 Missouri is 30" and a 1/200 is 53".
So while the average modeler can assemble and display it, they likely would not build several.
Its a special piece.

DDs would be very appreciated though.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:05 pm 
1/192 is a staple of the wooden ship crowd. And 1/200 just makes it convenient for the metric countries. So, I would not say the scale was a fad. Whether or not there will be further 1/200 plastic depends on the bottom line.

1/200 would allow easier conversion of cruisers and destroyers to RC. So I would expect there will be more.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 pm 

To me anything larger than, say, a 710-class destroyer in 1/200 is great for a museum exhibit, but causes problems if you're displaying it in a home. It goes from "model" to something more like "piece of furniture you plan a room around." I've seen some beautiful models done in 1/200 and I'm a little envious of those who have the display space for them, because all the extra opportunities for detail intrigue me. But I can't think of any subject, really, that I want to devote that much space (or, given the price of the kits and detail sets, the money) to.

Jodie Peeler

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:12 pm 

I love the scale fun to work in but they take up so much space. https://imgur.com/a/dZ4KbNX

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:46 pm 

try 1/144 scale as I have about 10 with the biggest being HMS Warspite & none of them finished.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 pm 

I build mainly US Warships from the Vietnam era to current. So... so far it has been WW2 subjects that I'm not interested in building. May get the CV-6 when it comes out. Otherwise the only 1/200 WW2 subject I'd like to build would be the USS West Virginia BB-48 (1944-45 fit). If they ever come out with modern subjects, then I'd consider building a 1/200 kit...

Thomas

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:52 pm 

Yes, they are big, and yes, they are expensive, especially when you add one or more detail sets and the odds and ends that aren't included anywhere, like the stand, case, a decent nameplate, oodles of paint at $4 a 1/2 oz, and so on. I won't mention how much I have tied up in my ship, but it's a lot.

However. I'm 76 years old. My eyesight isn't what it used to be - I wear trifocals, and my fingers no longer have the dexterity they did 30 or even 20 years ago. And, I love to build models. So, for me, a 1:200 scale ship is my best choice, meaning, it fits my abilities closer than anything smaller. Even now, I have to work with tweezers and an Opto-visor due to the small size of many of the PE parts, some no larger than the head of a pin. Anything smaller and I wouldn't be able to handle it. I have great admiration and respect for those of you who create masterpieces in 1:350 or even 1:700 scale. I envy you.

There are literally hundreds of 1:350 ships out there that I would love to build and detail, but they are beyond my capabilities. Yes, I could do an out-of-the-box build, but what fun is there in that? The fun comes from adding the thousands of tiny bits of brass and plastic and whatever that makes the model something special and makes it stand out as unique. My 1:200 ship lets me do that to the best of my ability. No, it isn't perfect, thanks to my age, my eyes, and my manual dexterity, but I'm making a lot less mistakes than I would it it were 70% smaller.

And no, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it when it's finished - if it ever is! I'll worry about that when the time comes. Right now I'm happy, my wife is happy because it keeps her retired hubby out of her hair, and it is one helluva lot less expensive than lots of other hobbies. I would love to see more of a selection of big scale models, but I doubt it will happen. The market just isn't there.

Currently working on (and will be for years to come!)
1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:28 am 

So I take it from this thread that the 1/200 Titanic and CV-6 that Trumpeter announced have been canceled and are never coming out?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:46 am 

steinerman wrote:
Yes, they are big, and yes, they are expensive, especially when you add one or more detail sets and the odds and ends that aren't included anywhere, like the stand, case, a decent nameplate, oodles of paint at $4 a 1/2 oz, and so on. I won't mention how much I have tied up in my ship, but it's a lot.

However. I'm 76 years old. My eyesight isn't what it used to be - I wear trifocals, and my fingers no longer have the dexterity they did 30 or even 20 years ago. And, I love to build models. So, for me, a 1:200 scale ship is my best choice, meaning, it fits my abilities closer than anything smaller. Even now, I have to work with tweezers and an Opto-visor due to the small size of many of the PE parts, some no larger than the head of a pin. Anything smaller and I wouldn't be able to handle it. I have great admiration and respect for those of you who create masterpieces in 1:350 or even 1:700 scale. I envy you.

There are literally hundreds of 1:350 ships out there that I would love to build and detail, but they are beyond my capabilities. Yes, I could do an out-of-the-box build, but what fun is there in that? The fun comes from adding the thousands of tiny bits of brass and plastic and whatever that makes the model something special and makes it stand out as unique. My 1:200 ship lets me do that to the best of my ability. No, it isn't perfect, thanks to my age, my eyes, and my manual dexterity, but I'm making a lot less mistakes than I would it it were 70% smaller.

And no, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it when it's finished - if it ever is! I'll worry about that when the time comes. Right now I'm happy, my wife is happy because it keeps her retired hubby out of her hair, and it is one helluva lot less expensive than lots of other hobbies. I would love to see more of a selection of big scale models, but I doubt it will happen. The market just isn't there.

Different strokes for different folks. I hate working with tiny brass details, and super detailing, and the only reason I force myself to deal with them to extent that I do is because I want my models to look at least believable for their size/scale. My unstarted 1/200 stash consists of the Hornet, Bismarck, and Hood, and I was planning to build each one straight from the box as I find all the extra detailing sets to be an undesirable chore and expense. But I’m questioning now whether or not I even want to build them at all and may just give them all away, and my 1/200 Missouri I haven’t touched in about 2 and 1/2 years because I just don’t want to bother with all the tiny brass parts that make up all the AA guns and so forth. In short, I just don’t have the concern or desire to continue with it, and may just pitch it out in the trash.

I’m sticking with 1/350 because with modern tooled kits all that is needed is a basic PE set and work, and a really fine model can be built. And I may even drop down to 1/700 so models can be built straight from the box (1/700 models decked out with PE and super details look cluttered and fake to me).

I’ve reached the point where I want all my modeling projects to be simple and free of frustration, and the moment they turn into more than that, I loose all my desire and into the trash it goes....

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 am 

I think if you ever wanna have one ship or two in collection as decoration, rather than having a mass of things, then 1/200 is great as level of detail is enough to impress even out of the box. Gonna need new paint brush nozzles and whatnot, but still. I dont think these are a fad but rather an expensive niche. They are not aimed at a kid or intermediary builder.

1/700 USS Washington, Atlantic 1942

Works in Progress
1/700 USSRS "Provornyj" 1951
1/700 HMS Prince of Wales 5/1941

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 am 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
So I take it from this thread that the 1/200 Titanic and CV-6 that Trumpeter announced have been canceled and are never coming out?

That hasn't been announced, someone's just asking if they're done since the kits haven't come out yet and nothing beyond has been announced.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:18 pm 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:

and my 1/200 Missouri I haven’t touched in about 2 and 1/2 years because I just don’t want to bother with all the tiny brass parts that make up all the AA guns and so forth. In short, I just don’t have the concern or desire to continue with it, and may just pitch it out in the trash.

I’ve reached the point where I want all my modeling projects to be simple and free of frustration, and the moment they turn into more than that, I loose all my desire and into the trash it goes....

If you get to that point with your Missouri call me and I'll take it off your hands rather than it go in a dumpster.

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:39 pm 

hondaman117 wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:

and my 1/200 Missouri I haven’t touched in about 2 and 1/2 years because I just don’t want to bother with all the tiny brass parts that make up all the AA guns and so forth. In short, I just don’t have the concern or desire to continue with it, and may just pitch it out in the trash.

If you get to that point with your Missouri call me and I'll take it off your hands rather than it go in a dumpster.

Contact me.

Report this post