The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 pm 

I'll be traveling to London to visit my sister and her husband in late April/early May 2019. Already planning to attend "Tiger Day" at the Tank Museum on Saturday, April 27th. I also want to carve out a day to visit Duxford. I've been to the IWM in London and the Belfast once before (1996), but I may visit those again.

Otherwise, my schedule the rest of the time (I'll be there a total of 8 days) is open. Other than the day I go to the tank museum, I'm not sure if I'll have access to a car. Any suggestions on places to go, things to see? Is it worth trying to cross the channel and check out the D-Day beaches? I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:39 pm 
Hello Martin,

april can still be (very) foggy in this time. On the beaches itself there is not so much to see except for (restored) bunkers and fortifications.
At Arromanches you can see the Mulberries harbours. There are however numerous museums in this aerea you need 3 or 4 days to visit
them all , even in a rapid pace :whistle:
In june there will be the 75th Commemoration of D-day. Will be veeeeryyy busy, it will be the last year i think with the original
veterans from D-day. i've been there already twice and the crowds are vast ! I uesd my mountain bike to get everywhere, by car was
almost impossible in 2014. i could get everywhere where the gendarmes had closed roads for traffic and they let me through because
i was on bike ! On Point du Hoc where the rangers had to climb the cliffs i was just in time for the honouring at the statue ( with bagpipes...)
Except for the beaches there is more to the North the V-2 and V-3 bunkers like la Coupoule and Mimoyeques.
The UK has also veeery much museums to visit. Duxford is veery good for the airplanes, really worth the visit.
I was there last year in the summer on the memorial battle of britain flights, with all the old fighter planes and bombers like the lancaster
and B-17 ( at going to the runway just drives 10 meters from you and the wing going over yr heads........ :lol_3:
If you want to know which museums are the best to visit i could make a ( small.....) list for you.
If you would decide to hop over to Normandie I could also make some references which to visit.
greetings from the Netherlands
Chris
(building carriers,subs, lnding craft and much more.....

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 pm 
I have not been to the United Kingdom, but if I ever get the opportunity, I would want to visit Portsmouth, and walk the decks of HMS Victory. See the shipyard (what is available to the public) where Admiral Jackie Fisher began to whip the Royal Navy dockyard workers out of their doldrums. I understand there is much else to see there, like the first submarine of the RN, and more.

Yes, I too would see the Bovington Tank Museum. And, if I had the time, to rent a motorcar and travel through Hedgerow country going up to Scotland!

Lucky you, Martin! Have a great time!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:58 pm 

We last went in 2006 and took the train from London to Portsmouth and really enjoyed it. The Victory was awesome and the museums and other ships were great as well. Easy day trip from London and back on the trains. Recommend that you see if you can still purchase a BritRail pass in the US before you go. At least in 2006, it allowed you to go to any station and get on any train to anywhere in the UK. Fantastic way to see the UK. Also liked the RAF museum.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:11 am 

For ships, then Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Chatham Historic Dockyard are "MUSTS".

A word of warning re. Portsmouth, HMS Victory will still be going through her major refit and access may be limited (or non existent) you will have to check. But Warrior etc... are worth visiting. The admin changes mean that the Mary Rose is (weirdly) a separate attraction - but the (finally) completed museum is fantastic and will take two to three hours to go around alone.

https://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/

(The Submarine Museum is easily visited by catching the Gosport Ferry adjacent to Portsmouth Harbour station, and "Explosion" can also be visited.)

Chatham is very worthwhile, particularly if you are lucky enough to go on a day when the Ropewalk is being demonstrated. Again due to the variety of ships (HMS Cavalier, HMS Ocelot and HMS Gannet) a very worthwhile day out (although IF you manage to rush it the Royal Engineers museum is also in Chatham !) Chatham also houses many ship models (MOST IN STORAGE) but if you have a particular ship you like and know what day you are visiting you can try contacting them and asking for it to be put on display.

http://thedockyard.co.uk/

Good luck and enjoy.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:19 am 

There are more ship models in the Science Museum than at IWM when I was there, plus, it's a great museum to visit anyway.

If visiting Normandy is an option, you can visit the museum in Caen (very big), Utah beach museum (smaller, but worth it), and the American cemetery.

HMS Victory is probably my favorite ship to visit so I would certainly not skip her (would be bad if she's in maintenance but what can you do).

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:19 am 

As you'll realise,pre planning here,is the key. Those railway timetables will need much scrutiny. I would say though,that iff Bovington is a cert , then it would make much sense to go to Portsmouth, its less than 70 miles from Bovington. If I were to go to Bovington, I would go down the day before, and stay overnight in Bournemouth ,Poole,or even better , Wareham, leaving a short journey the following morning.Scrutinising Coach and bus timetables will be an idea as well. As an aside , Clouds Hill where T E Lawrence lived is just a few miles from Bovington.

So yes, Duxford , Bovington, and Portsmouth dockyard will soon have you going into information overflow,an absolute avalanche of eye candy. This all reminds me, I've not been to Duxford for near 15 years , time I visited again, its a remarkable museum.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:21 am 

Take a river ride from the Tower of London to Greenwich. London looks completely different from the river and of course Greenwich has a stack of stuff.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the advice. Lots to ponder...

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:09 am 

There is also the Historic Dockyard in Chatham with several museums ships and where actually most of the ship models of the National Maritime Museum and Imperial War Museum are stored. Some of the models can be seen, others on request. The museum ships themselves and the museums there are well worth visiting.

For sure, Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth plus the submarine museum and Xplosion! in Gosport a worth a visit.

The is also the Fleet Air Arm Museum Yeovilton, which also has a lot of good ship models.

I thought that the ship department in the Science Museum in London is closed - it was a great collection of models. The National Maritime Museum is in my opinion only worth visiting, if you are interested in the sail ship era. The museum has many great models of ships of later periods, but most of them are in storage (in Chatham).

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:51 am 

Duxford is a must - it is the most amazing aircraft collection (with an add on ground forces collection), if not, RAF museum at Hendon is great too, but also Cosford is equally good (although a long trek to get there). Bovington tank museum is meant to be very comprehensive if that is of interest, Elvington air museum is a great visit if coming up to York, and for anything Navy it is mainly HMS Belfast and Portsmouth. Most of these would need a car though.

Completed: Iowa class battleship 'USS Missouri'
Completed: QE class battleship 'HMS Warspite'
Recently completed: Astoria class cruiser 'USS San Francisco'
Fitting out: Essex class carrier 'USS Essex'

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Duxford is well worth a visit, but I'd suggest Portsmouth and the Historic Dockyard should be on the list. You can touch HMS Hood's bell there, recovered by the late Paul Allen.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:36 am 

You will be much more constrained without a car, but Duxford is a bus ride out of Cambridge, Cosford has its station but needs a connection at Birmingham. Yeovilton is a taxi-ride out of Yeovil, and Elvington a taxi-ride out of York. One good combination if you can make it is Duxford and the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire. There are of course castles and cathedrals worth seeing in or near some of these places. April will probably be OK for various steam railway lines around the country.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:41 am 

Portsmouth is easy to reach with a train. There is also a train station in Chatham and bus going from the station to the dockyard. I do no think that a car would be necessary.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:43 pm 
Black Cat Models
Black Cat Models

And further to what said Maxim, from Portsmouth it is very easy to take a ferry (either with a car or as a foot passenger) and arrive in Caen where you can visit the D-Day beaches (with Omaha Beach and the American Cemetary that are mandatory stops), the artificial harbor of Arromanches, German batteries in Longues, etc..
You can ask mefor more info if you want,
Meow !!!
Ben

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:20 am 

I would recommend a visit to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire .During the spring and summer they usually do test flights of their Hurricanes ,Spitfires,Dakota ,and of course the Lancaster.you can do a tour of their hangar .Also you will see (and hear) the Typhoon jet fighters roaring around!

Enjoy!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:06 pm 

There’s also the Fleet Air Arm museum. I found it quite interesting.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:46 pm 

Hi Martin,

I live VERY near Duxford... and I have a car :cool_2:

I’m happy to take a few days out to take you to Portsmouth on the South Coast, London for the museums and Duxford of course. I would suggest a day for each.

We met in New York a few years ago if you recall... and I seem to remember I owe you a beer...

Just thought, if he is available, we may get a chance to meet up with a reasonably capable modeller for a beer or two who happens to live not a million miles from Portsmouth.

Assuming he is willing, of course! :cool_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 am 

Bill wrotes;

we may get a chance to meet up with a reasonably capable modeller for a beer or two who happens to live not a million miles from Portsmouth.

'wot me? :cool_2:

drinking with model friends, talking about models, history and old cars?!!

naaah.... :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

jesting above!--

You are both anytime welcome of course!

JB

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:10 pm 

Bill Livingston wrote:
Hi Martin,

I live VERY near Duxford... and I have a car :cool_2:

I’m happy to take a few days out to take you to Portsmouth on the South Coast, London for the museums and Duxford of course. I would suggest a day for each.

We met in New York a few years ago if you recall... and I seem to remember I owe you a beer...

Just thought, if he is available, we may get a chance to meet up with a reasonably capable modeller for a beer or two who happens to live not a million miles from Portsmouth.

Assuming he is willing, of course! :cool_1:

Bill,

Yes, of course I remember meeting!

Wow - your offer is very kind, and one I may have to take you up on (both the travel guide and the beer)! Would love to meet the legendary Mr B in person as well.

Let's connect via message to discuss further.

Thank you!

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post