The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 pm 

Hi everyone,
My name is Tony P. First post here! Question. I recently purchased the "basic" detail up set from Mk.1 Designs. It didn't come with a full manual, which I find strange, and lettered Photo-etch sheets, with with each piece being numbered. Sheet A, 1-50 or whatever. However, when looking at the numbering on the manual, specifically, the full ship color-coded page, their numbering has me baffled. They just have a number with no corresponding sheet and their respective part #'s. Does this make sense? Hopefully someone can spread some light on this problem for me. Thanks a million in advance!!

Best,

Tony P.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:40 pm 

Pontos isn't related to Mk. 1, in case that might have anything to do with your manual and part number disconnect. Rather, Mk. 1 is with KA Models.

You didn't say which ship you're doing, but I'm guessing Arizona. Here's KA/Mk1's page for Arizona, with photos of the instructions at the bottom. As you can see, they have the letter+number format for labeling parts, whereas Pontos uses numbers only: http://ka-models.co.kr/?product=1200-us ... -plus-pack

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:38 pm 

Thanks for your reply Timmy. Actually, and this is just an observation, Pontos and Mk. 1's stuff is absolutely identical, same manual, same everything. I don't know. I'm starting the 1/200 Missouri. I don't know if it was a mistake or what, but like I said, I bought the "basic" set. I got a portion of a "manual". A few pages showing how to assemble the crane, catapults, radar, and then an assortment of pages showing various parts of the ship with associated photo-etch parts. I know I'm not crazy, but, that master assembly chart included in the deluxe set apparently covers everything. What I received won't get me through all this photo-etch. And again, the numbering system on that master chart doesn't match up with the photo-etch I have? Each sheet has an A-B-C and a basic label, and each part has a #. That master sheet seems to start at 1 and makes it's way up, up into the 800-900's? Right? Again, many thanks to anyone that can get my head straight on this....

Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:28 pm 

Okay, so we have a review of the Mk 1 1/200 Iowa class set here: http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/pe ... a-PE-A.htm

Do the instruction at the bottom match what you have in your set? I note that the instructions in the review uses the LetterNumber format, consistent with the parts on the PE frets.

Pontos uses the numbers-only approach to their sets, so I suspect that if your instructions don't look like the ones in the review I linked to, it might be that your seller accidentally put Pontos instructions in your Mk1 set. For reference, here are the contents of the Pontos 1/200 Missouri set - see if they match up the instructions you have: http://pontosmodel.com/html/23002f1.html

Report this post