The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:44 am 

I feel it my duty to ruin everyone who owns a full hull HMS Hood's day ;

Please see the new (still being discussed) information starting here ;

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4702&start=700#p919993

I really do appreciate the work being done on this (but won't be re-painting mine).

Good luck to all researchers.

(This is all curtesy of this thread on another board ;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... velations/

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:23 am 

Is there any contemporary model of the Hood showing underwater color? I find it difficult to believe there were no contemporary eyewitness description of hood’s underwater color.

Also, the photo of HMS Hood in Sidney shows her relatively light with a hood streak of underwater hull below boot top showing. The tone of the underwater hull at the top of the torpedo blister is distinctly darker than the above water hull, despite that part being angled to receive more direct illumination.

This suggest whatever color it is, is it not similar in tone to the above water hull.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:10 pm 

chuck wrote:
Is there any contemporary model of the Hood showing underwater color? I find it difficult to believe there were no contemporary eyewitness description of hood’s underwater color.

There is one at the IWM, London

https://stefsap.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/hms-hood-1196/

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:55 pm 

iangazeley wrote:
chuck wrote:

There is one at the IWM, London

https://stefsap.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/hms-hood-1196/

And it is waterline and wont help here. Typical. :heh: :rolf_3:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:36 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

chuck wrote:

Also, the photo of HMS Hood in Sidney shows her relatively light with a hood streak of underwater hull below boot top showing. The tone of the underwater hull at the top of the torpedo blister is distinctly darker than the above water hull, despite that part being angled to receive more direct illumination.

This suggest whatever color it is, is it not similar in tone to the above water hull.

There are conflicting witness statements from the sinking. I just asked Frank Allen about it last week. A number aboard HMS Prince of Wales were questioned during the inquiry. To quote Frank:
"A number of them describe either the bow as looking blackish (Some even describe it detaching from the rest of the ship… Which we now know it did). One or two others describe the bottom of her looking black."

This has been known to me for some time. Like most others, we perhaps mistakenly dismissed it on grounds of smoke and oil in the water.

Meanwhile the painting by J.C. Schmitz-Westerholt, war artist aboard Prinz Eugen, shows red. However, he was 16km away with dawn behind Hood even if the weather was overcast, so why his depiction would be more reliable than witnesses from the much closer HMS Prince of Wales is unclear.
https://ww2db.com/images/ship_hood14.jpg

In addition, Frank Allen told me more recently of a model purchased by someone painted with a black underwater hull. When seen by some old dockhand it was apparently remarked by the old man that it was the first model he'd seen of Hood which got it right - although the exact wording is not known to me. Apparently he went on to say he had painted Hood's underwater hull black, and that red was wrong. Again, I think that didn't fit what everyone "knew" so it wasn't really taken seriously.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

Last edited by Timmy C on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ww2db doesn't enable use of the [img] tags unless you've already viewed the image, so tags removed. Click link and add a space to the URL's end to view photo.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:24 am 

I am tempted to repaint the lower hull on mine build model as dark grey now, as I hate such big inaccuracy. More worries me are other RN capital ships.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:06 am 

SovereignHobbies wrote:

....In addition, Frank Allen told me more recently of a model purchased by someone painted with a black underwater hull. When seen by some old dockhand it was apparently remarked by the old man that it was the first model he'd seen of Hood which got it right - although the exact wording is not known to me. Apparently he went on to say he had painted Hood's underwater hull black, and that red was wrong. Again, I think that didn't fit what everyone "knew" so it wasn't really taken seriously.

Jamie, Your account of what Frank told you the dockhand said - black only - conflicts with what Frank himself posted on the CASF HMS Hood thread only ten days ago on Friday 13th – grey or black:

“In another anecdotal account, we were also once contacted by a chap, with a model of Hood that had a dark grey or black bottom (I don’t remember which). He mentioned that an old fellow who used to be a dockhand told him that it was the first time he had seen a model have the correct color bottom (supposedly he had painted Hood’s bottom black or gray during the war).”

This is heresay of course, and relies on human memory, but this contradiction is confusing (as is having the second thread on MW relating to the same subject!). I have e-mailed Frank to ask him to clarify.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:55 pm 

dick wrote:
as is having the second thread on MW relating to the same subject!

I'll lock this one, so we don't have dual conversations going on.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]