The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:04 pm 

Strategos Augustus wrote:
And for some reason, Flyhawk appears to want to release it (and also La Gloire which makes me happy).

Hmmm...you want "La Gloire" and paint that dazzle cam job? :big_eyes:
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:56 pm 

Emden and late war Lion? Christ. I don't need more kits, but I'm going to buy more kits.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:37 pm 

PetrolGator wrote:
Emden and late war Lion? Christ. I don't need more kits, but I'm going to buy more kits.

Me too! But I would get the Emden! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:13 pm 

I looked back a few pages but didn't see any mention of this, 1/200 IJN Yamato from Monochrome (aka Trumpeter, Hobby Boss I believe)

https://twitter.com/hosokawa0817/status ... 8486615045

Had a two page spread in the January issue of Model Art.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 pm 

Zemmix wrote:
I looked back a few pages but didn't see any mention of this, 1/200 IJN Yamato from Monochrome (aka Trumpeter, Hobby Boss I believe)

:jump_1: :rolf_3: :shipcaptain: :worship_1: :big_eyes: :joker: :yeah:

Ok, I'm in.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:01 am 

Nice to see the Flyhawk HMS Formidable - I can't remember whether they ever produced an HMS Victorious in original condition ?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:35 am 

i wonder why companies are producing many ships of the same class even those are available already in the market, while on the other hand some classes are totally out of production.

Maybe companies should include a specific form in their site for buyers that can submit their suggestions.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:42 am 

mikegr wrote:
i wonder why companies are producing many ships of the same class even those are available already in the market, while on the other hand some classes are totally out of production.

Maybe companies should include a specific form in their site for buyers that can submit their suggestions.

This is something that has been brought up ad nauseam. The reason this happens is because the common/popular ships are the ones that sell. The more obscure subjects are riskier and never sell as well. For example, Bismarck, Yamato, Titanic, Arizona. These are all well known and are the kits that people want to buy if they are just getting into the subject. The lesser known subjects tend to be of great interest to a small group of people. Not even within ship builders do all of us want the same subjects. So the cost and time to develop these subjects that will not sell as well is what these companies have to consider. To think that these companies do not do market research is incorrect. That is where we get things like the 1/350 Junyo/Hiyo from Hasegawa as an example.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:26 am 

Angeliccypher wrote:
mikegr wrote:

This is something that has been brought up ad nauseam. The reason this happens is because the common/popular ships are the ones that sell. The more obscure subjects are riskier and never sell as well. For example, Bismarck, Yamato, Titanic, Arizona. These are all well known and are the kits that people want to buy if they are just getting into the subject. The lesser known subjects tend to be of great interest to a small group of people. Not even within ship builders do all of us want the same subjects. So the cost and time to develop these subjects that will not sell as well is what these companies have to consider. To think that these companies do not do market research is incorrect. That is where we get things like the 1/350 Junyo/Hiyo from Hasegawa as an example.

Honestly, it's confounding why about every Arizona kit is wrought with errors while companies continue to produce decent to brilliant representations of the other "big" subjects. Heck, even the Dragon kit requires a lot of rework on at least the forward superstructure or, ideally, outright replacement.

Also: long time. Hope you're doing good!

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:55 am 

Angeliccypher wrote:
mikegr wrote:

And this is exactly why there are so many releases of Tiger tanks (l & ll), Panthers, Shermans, etc. Each release is slightly more accurate than the preceding, and they sell well. The big sellers help pay the production costs of following obscure, or less popular subjects. So buy up those Bismarcks, Tirpitz's, PoW's, and Yamato's, and you'll eventually get something you really want! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:18 pm 

Or ignore the plastic kit producers and built the ships you want using resin kits in a scale, in which a lot of ships are available...

In my opinion, there was never a better time than now to built ship models, because of the massive number of available kits, if also resin and 3D printed kits are considered. There are only very few plastic kit producers, which still make from time to time interesting kits (e.g. Pit-Road, FlyHawk, Dream Models).

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:22 pm 

maxim wrote:
Or ignore the plastic kit producers and built the ships you want using resin kits in a scale, in which a lot of ships are available...

In my opinion, there was never a better time than now to built ship models, because of the massive number of available kits, if also resin and 3D printed kits are considered. There are only very few plastic kit producers, which still make from time to time interesting kits (e.g. Pit-Road, FlyHawk, Dream Models).

This thread is for plastic kits, which are the only real kits. Resin sucks. :cool_2:

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:26 pm 

mikegr wrote:

That's why we're planning different things that no one else will make.

Mike Bartel
IHP

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:37 pm 

I'll throw in my two-cents and express my confusion at the lack of civilian vessels available in plastic - Oh BOY, not another one... :big_grin:

Obviously some ships won't fly off the shelves, but I can't help but find the lack of some to be distressing. Revell's Olympic is a good example; why they didn't maximize potential and offer a WW1 variant I have no idea - nevermind reintroducing it to the range for those that are now facing crazy prices on evilBay. Heck, why didn't they alter the Titanic tooling once more and offer Britannic? Easy enough to bash the hospital ship I know, but anything White Star or Titanic related sells. Maybe a little Normadic to go with the various offerings? Tiny starter kit, not too expensive.

Lusitania is another famous one they've never done. I know of the super rare 1/350 kit, and a old resin example from Bang Models, but again, not widely available. Combrig made one very recently in resin but I can't find one for love nor money... that says a lot about the alleged lack of demand, I think...

To crossover to another subject of modelling: the amount of random WW2-era aircraft I've never heard of (and I used to be an aircraft modeller!) that the countless Eastern European companies have made is crazy. In railways too: the amount of super niche things being released despite lack of interest... I recall seeing an announcement from a major retailer about how one company were upsizing a shunter they made in 00 gauge, to 0: 1/76 up to 1/43. Big money... and had something like 13 likes after a week. They're still manufacturing the thing. Why? Nobody wants one.

To be fair to myself ship modelling isn't the most popular form of our art, with civilian subjects being lesser still. Alas, some representation could go a long way, especially with the ship nerds and enthusiasts that seem to be prevalent on many platforms - the posts and pages I see on Instagram about liners old and new are countless, not to mention on YouTube.

I reckon it's worth a shot, ModellbauRay on IG made a resin 3D printed Wilhelm Gustloff kit last year in 1/700, and has expressed the possibility of releasing the Vaterland. Now imagine if that was plastic from a major manufacturer: If that's not demand, I don't know what is!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:40 pm 
Mike@IHP wrote:
mikegr wrote:

Mike Bartel
IHP

Lovin' HMS Glory and really looking forward to HMCS Warrior. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves in the future Mike!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:22 am 

Mike@IHP wrote:

This thread is for plastic kits, which are the only real kits. Resin sucks. :cool_2:

Mike Bartel
IHP

:big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:34 pm 

Mike@IHP wrote:
mikegr wrote:
i wonder why companies are producing many ships of the same class even those are available already in the market, while on the other hand some classes are totally

Mike Bartel
IHP

Could I ask ( hopefully not off-topic ) if IHP have any plans to up scale to 1/350 scale and fill a massive
Gap in the market , namely the famous WW2 ‘ A to I class ‘ Destroyers And / or J/K/N class
There are several famous ships there , Ardent , Acasta , Electra ,Glowworm , Hesperus etc
Plus Kelly and Jarvis to name a few ....
apart from the Tribal Class ( Trumpeter ) there is nothing except resin .

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:13 pm 

Recent announcement from Italeri is another version of the 1/35th scale Elco Pt Boat, PT 122

https://www.italeri.com/uploads/news/0T ... OrLjVP.pdf

It seems we will have to keep waiting for the Higgins PT boat promised since 2018

Attachments:
italeri Higins.jpg
italeri Higins.jpg [ 207.25 KiB | Viewed 1912 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:07 pm 

To continue from the above post, I've been looking for a pic of a PT boat mounting a rear 40 mm. Bofors as well as 4 torpedo launching tubes (not roll-off racks). Is this because there was not enough space for a Bofors between the torpedo tubes? Sometimes the rear 2 tubes were removed for the Bofors, but not all 4 tubes present plus the Bofors.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:50 pm 

Mike@IHP wrote:
mikegr wrote:

Mike Bartel
IHP

Saaaaay as someone that owns both your Lexington Battlecruiser and Tillman resin kits any chance to see these redone in plastic? Both subjects we aren't likely to get from major makers... I have the resin ones but would rebuy in plastic for sure.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 220  Next