The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:24 am 

Maybe Globaltoy has good prices on your favorite RESIN kits, but we're supposed to be discussing PLASTIC models! :no_2:
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:55 am 

drasticplastic wrote:
Maybe Globaltoy has good prices on your favorite RESIN kits, but we're supposed to be discussing PLASTIC models! :no_2:

They have decent prices on upgrades for Plastic Kits.

I recently got a slew of the new USS Fletcher Early-war PE detail upgrades from Fivestar Models from GlobalToy, and they are for the Tamiya Fletcher.

Watch Flyhawk come-out with an early-war kit for the Fletcher that has molded detailing for a lot of what the PE kit provides.

But that is a point, re: *Inj. molded plastic* Upcoming Kit Releases as this forum’s topic.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:38 am 

I received Flyhawk's 1/700 Zumwalt from Auroramodelshop in under 3 weeks...that's really phenomenal delivery time as it was supposed to arrive in mid-June. Well developed kit, and much better than Dragon's - the "stealth" tiles are already molded on and aren't over-sized.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:29 am 

drasticplastic wrote:
I received Flyhawk's 1/700 Zumwalt from Auroramodelshop in under 3 weeks...that's really phenomenal delivery time as it was supposed to arrive in mid-June. Well developed kit, and much better than Dragon's - the "stealth" tiles are already molded on and aren't over-sized.

Good feedback! I ordered one of these as well. Looking forward to it showing up someday.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:38 am 

davidwaples wrote:
drasticplastic wrote:

Good feedback! I ordered one of these as well. Looking forward to it showing up someday.

I like these modern ships being made, I also plan to grab one then.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:34 pm 

Unfortunately, Zumwalt class represents a dead-end in warship evolution. They're just way too expensive. Each 6" round for the guns cost some $800,000 each! The cruise missiles carried cost just a bit more, and have a MUCH better range, and more destructive power. So, no expensive rounds making the turrets useless. Also, the sea-keeping qualities of the design left a lot to be desired. I think the Aegis class will be in service for a long time to come.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:19 am 

The guns are a secondary part of the armament of the Zumwalt class, their VLS Mk 57 were always the much more important part including their ability to launch Tomahawk. The 155 mm ammunition was predicted to be so expensive, because the number of ships, therefore guns and therefore number of rounds were drastically reduced (no surprise!). Therefore, their ammunition was cancelled and the guns will be replaced (not yet clear with what, probably additional missile launchers). I have read multiple articles that the sea-keeping qualities are better than the older ships, which is no surprise because of the improved hull form.

E.g.
Quote:
“All told I’d rather be on that ship than any other ship I’ve been on," Navy Captain Andrew Carlson, the destroyer's commanding officer, had told Defense News

Quote:
"You definitely have to get used to the roll, which is very short compared to other ships," Carlson added. "For those of us who have been on [Ticonderoga class] cruisers, especially up top, you kind of lean over 15 degrees and you wonder if you are going to come back. We didn’t experience any of that. As long as you get used to the finer oscillation, it really handles very well."

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39669/debate-over-navys-zumwalt-destroyers-seakeeping-abilities-doused-after-high-seas-tests
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a35799449/uss-zumwalt-rough-seas-test/

The dead-end is the failure to develop a new type and stick with 1970s and 1980s designs.

Sorry, that should not be here. It was in length discussed in the corresponding topics.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:35 am 

I wonder what FlyHawk's reasoning was behind the production of the Zumwalt. Obviously, they will have done their research and established that there was a market for it but, given their previous accent on WW1 and WW2 designs, I wonder if this marks a change of direction for them ??

This is only a paltry guess but, judging by the more measured (to put it euphemistically) way they seem to release new models, I'm surmising they are a much smaller Company than, say, Trumpeter 'et al' and this slower production cycle is also compounded by the volume of research required for the infinite detail their subjects exhibit.
I wonder if the Zumwalt was a relatively quick and easier kit for them to bring out, just to 'keep the pot boiling', as it were ??

From my own, totally biased perspective, I just hope that producing more modern vessels doesn't delay further the eventual entry of listed 'goodies' in their catalogue, such as HMS London, Admiral Scheer (with her Atlantic bow and reconstructed foremast assembly) and, the most yearned for of all; HMS Vanguard.

As I say, just my own biased perspective :huh:

DaveW

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:29 am 

DaveW. wrote:
... I'm surmising they are a much smaller Company than, say, Trumpeter 'et al' ...

DaveW

Dave, I suppose you're right.
Some time back I saw photos from what was said to be Flyhawk HQ, showing a test build of a new (at the time) kit sitting on a window sill or ledge. The view out the window seemed to indicate that Flyhawk is well up in a high rise building, with similar nearby.
Maybe they just have a small office suite and the production is farmed out to a factory somewhere.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:00 am 

DaveW. wrote:
From my own, totally biased perspective, I just hope that producing more modern vessels doesn't delay further the eventual entry of listed 'goodies' in their catalogue, such as HMS London, Admiral Scheer (with her Atlantic bow and reconstructed foremast assembly) and, the most yearned for of all; HMS Vanguard.

They had also announced new kit kits of the Ticonderoga class cruisers - not really modern, but most of them still active. Therefore it is not surprising that they release kits of modern ships, especially after the releases of the Type 055, Type 091/93, and Type 092/094 kits.

But I agree that a Admiral Scheer kit after conversion would be nice. I have recently bought the Atlantic Models kit of London, which looks nice...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:05 am 

DaveW. wrote:
I wonder what FlyHawk's reasoning was behind the production of the Zumwalt. Obviously, they will have done their research and established that there was a market for it but, given their previous accent on WW1 and WW2 designs, I wonder if this marks a change of direction for them ?

Modern USN ships have been on their published list of planned ships for a few years now, although I don't specifically recall Zumwalt.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:21 am 

Every now and again Flyhawk releases a totally unannounced kit. Before Zumwalt it was a 1/72 Dauntless dive bomber...their first attempt in 1/72 aircraft. As usual, it is a well engineered kit, but it could have been a little better such as some PE detailing for the cockpit, and decals for the instrument panel, etc. Maybe some day they will release the "Deluxe" version!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:16 pm 

August 2022 release:

Takom 1/72 BATTLESHIP SCHARNHORST TURRET B 28CMSK C/34 GUNS

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/preorder/ ... 22068.html

Attachments:
172-battleship-scharnhorst-turret-b-28cmsk-c34-guns.jpg
172-battleship-scharnhorst-turret-b-28cmsk-c34-guns.jpg [ 137.23 KiB | Viewed 2893 times ]

Recently completed:
Panda 1/16 Pz.38(t)
Takom 1/16 Panzer I Ausf. B
Trumpeter 1/350 Severomrsk (Udaloy)
Trumpeter 1/350 Project 956E Sovremenny
Hobbyboss 1/350 Voltaire
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:04 pm 

Hmmm...now a much better Austratt fort turret can be built. (Lose the rangefinders) :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:43 am 

dunno...was kinda hoping for one from a British, or even French ship even.

On the bright side that means these ship weapons kits are selling well enough to keep making them so I call that a good sign.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:12 pm 

Was half expecting that they'd supply such a thing as a ''BONUS!'' with a destroyer or something... :rolf_3:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:01 am 

I've just been reading Tracey White's recent (I'm laughably behind the times) and excellent review of the 1/350 USS Sangamon release by Trumpeter.

Overall, to my questionable tastes, it doesn't seem massively inspiring and I can only think it doesn't bode too well, should they ever galvanise themselves and release this vessel in 1/700.

If they ever do, it might come down to some highly complicated scientific solution, such as tossing a coin, to decide if I'll buy it, or not.

I'm even in two minds as to whether I should get their 1/700 HMS Kent :huh:

DaveW

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:40 am 

Coming soon from Vee Hobby-
Attachment:
E79DCCC0-0935-4085-9D45-86ADDC7360DB.jpeg
E79DCCC0-0935-4085-9D45-86ADDC7360DB.jpeg [ 253.81 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:22 am 

taskforce48 wrote:
Coming soon from Vee Hobby-
Attachment:
E79DCCC0-0935-4085-9D45-86ADDC7360DB.jpeg

Best source for mail order of Vee Hobby kits?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:43 am 

Numerous ebay sellers listed on the previous page are a good source. If you are in the states, Freetimehobby carries Vee Hobby kits as well.

Great to see a modern CL kit being done.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204 ... 220  Next