The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:34 am 

MatthewB wrote:

If this one of the Flyhawk USS Ward kits?

I just "accidentally" bought one for $11.

MB

Hi Matthew. Yes, Flyhawk. That is their luxery kit with resin bits which are a little nicer than the plastic parts, but worth it. Excellent accident for $11!
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:41 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Cadman wrote:
J. Soca wrote:
I feel bad seeing my IJN Myoko thread on the " CASF" section without the review pictures on page #1. Moderators if i upload those pictures back on to my computer can i edit my thread and upload all those pictures one more time?

Yes Jose, go to one of those posts and edit it. You should have a file upload option. Once you have the new images in place you can delete the Photobucket code in that post.

Thank you sir! I'll get to it this weekend for sure.

Jose :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 pm 

I had a sleazy impression of PB from the first taste, years ago. I'm glad I never fell into that trap. You always get a great deal from the crack dealer when you're a new customer. Then.....

Last edited by Pagodaphile on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:17 pm 

The amount of sites I go on that, has that horrible sign, seems to be growing.Its everywhere.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:38 pm 

It was a dirty trick. All sites should block Photobucket from here on out. It would prevent them from substituting their own advertisement for free instead of the intended content, and deter anyone who might be leaning towards paying their ransom. Photobucket should not profit from their extortion in any way.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:57 am 

There are plugins available for Chrome and Firefox that circumvent the current third party block. I don't know how long they'll work once Photobucket figures out what's going on, but it's at least a temporary fix.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jjgj?hl=en

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... x/?src=api

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 pm 

They're offering a new option, now. $99.99 billed annually

I clipped the text of the offer posted to post it here, I hope that's OK.

Store up to 300,000 Photos
Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting (Non-commercial)
Unlimited Forum Embedding
Unlimited Sharing
$99.99 BILLED ANNUALLY

Still seems expensive, to me.

"We're all non-believers about most gods; atheists just go one god further."

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:39 pm 

personally I'll never go back to PB...their treatment of the community was disgraceful...I logged onto their site for the first time in some months today as someone asked for a link to pictures that I had posted on a forum (now broken) to help them with an engine build, I also run a classic Porsche as well as making models and someone needed help with his engine rebuild. The site was awful, too damn slow and adverts galore...I hope that I don't have to log back on any time soon.

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:20 pm 

I opt'd to pay the ransom last June rather than have the over 1,000 images I have posted on this website go dead. I had planned to use the time until the renewal to find another image hosting website as easy to use as Photobucket. I have not found one doesn't require more work at "sizing" my images for posting, or otherwise is a pain to use. At $100 a year it is worth my time to stay with Photobucket and NOT have to attempt reposting everything. I'm NOT happy with them in the least for now they handled this, common curtsy for their "customers" would have been an explanation and notice a couple of months before the change date. I understand that their service costs something to provide (the days of everything on the web is free are ending), but explaining why and what they need to do is good customer relations. On the plus side, not having ads and things working on their website is better than what it was.

I'm still confused just how "Plus100 Premium" service at $100/yr vs "Plus500" service at $400/yr differ. Depending on which link you hit, it shows Premium as coming with or w/o 3rd party hosting???

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:52 am 

I switched over to postimg.org only to have all links on that site break as well. I guess they are now switching everything to postimg.cc but I'll have to go back to all my posted images again and put in the new link. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:20 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
I opt'd to pay the ransom last June rather than have the over 1,000 images I have posted on this website go dead. I had planned to use the time until the renewal to find another image hosting website as easy to use as Photobucket. I have not found one doesn't require more work at "sizing" my images for posting, or otherwise is a pain to use. At $100 a year it is worth my time to stay with Photobucket and NOT have to attempt reposting everything. I'm NOT happy with them in the least for now they handled this, common curtsy for their "customers" would have been an explanation and notice a couple of months before the change date. I understand that their service costs something to provide (the days of everything on the web is free are ending), but explaining why and what they need to do is good customer relations. On the plus side, not having ads and things working on their website is better than what it was.

I'm still confused just how "Plus100 Premium" service at $100/yr vs "Plus500" service at $400/yr differ. Depending on which link you hit, it shows Premium as coming with or w/o 3rd party hosting???

have you thought about imgur? They're free.

In the yard:

Slip 1 - IJN Yahagi (1/350) - building
Slip 2 - IJN Amagi (Battle cruiser) (1/700) - building

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:52 pm 

Yes I have tried IMGUR. I don't like it, it is more of a social media website than a good platform for posting images. They assume that your uploaded images are for sharing with only the Imgur victims. With Photobucket, I upload an image at whatever size I have it or downsize it to speed the upload and select the IMG address for that image and I can post an image quite easily. Photobucket automatically sizes the image for use on the selected website (I suspect there is a standard sizing). I don't know how they do it, and frankly don't care to know, it just works ... aka ... a good tool. With Imgur I have to spend a lot of time getting an image SIZED (pixel width and height, plus MB size) to work on say Modelwarships so I can post an image from Imgur using their IMG address (if you can even find the selection). AKA Imgur is something I have to do extra work with to get what I what to accomplish ... bad tool. Imgur aggravated me by pestering me with E-Mail messages for months on silly stuff they offered. It has stopped after my E-mail began ID'ing them as SPAM. :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:11 am 

Hi all.

There is a plugin available on several browsers, Chrome for sure, which actually allows PB images to show through on the computer where that browser is installed. So if you are looking at an older thread it's worth a try as you may be able to see the pics that way.

For those who have PB accounts and want to download all the content so they can bugger off elsewhere.. PB themselves have made that very hard/impossible HOWEVER there is a paid plugin on Chrome (I think it's all of about $2) which allows you to download ALL of your albums/photos content without any laborious manual intervention. We all know we should have backups, but I couldn't find some so for me that was $2 well spent.

As an ongoing solution I have a hosted piwigo gallery. It's great but requires some tech sense to get up and running, so not for everyone but may suit some really well.

I have a blog post for those interested. Please note that I have made sure this isn't a clickable link, as I don't think as a new member that'd be too cool, and I'm unsure of the rules around here on that. :)

Anyway if you cut and paste this into your browser bar it has more info on how I went about my solution. :thumbs_up_1:

http://landyvlad.net/wp/photobucket-can-kiss-my-arse/

I hope that's of help to someone.

Cheers all

"As a vessel for river service, or assisting troops on land, she would be invaluable, but her shrift would be short if she came within the range of a modem ironclad, for an 18-ton gun would blow her clean out of the water." (HMQS Gayundah)

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am 

thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:36 pm 

Well, my annual subscription has come due with a due notice (which I got instead of an auto-charge because my credit card I used last year had expired and has a new "expire date"). I was confused when the cost was much less than what I had to pay last year and even less than what I saw back this Spring. I was wondering if this was for a period of less than a year? So I did some digging. Apparently there has been a "Coup" of sorts at Photobucket or someone realized that they made a big mistake last year in how they handled their "previous" customer base. Here is a release issued on 17 May 2018 ... https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... Trust.html ... and there are several different levels of image storage and 3rd party hosting/posting options ... https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-u ... icing-Info ... with pricing ranging as;

Beginner - $48.38/yr
Intermediate - $69.98/yr
Expert - $123.98

All three plans include 3rd party hosting ... http://photobucket.com/plans/#yearly ... It looks like for me that the Intermediate Plan would work for what I have and post. But, I'm thinking that I may go with the Expert Plan for growth. I started uploading larger size images and don't know how far the Intermediate Level would take me.

Over the last year, Photobucket has been more stable and no major headache "updates" prior to June last year that would mean that uploading images wouldn't work until their tech support fixed it and NO ads is a plus mostly because the path for SPAMMERS through advertisers has been broken (I got a Browser Hijacker while on Photobucket with my PC laptop that caused me a lot of grief to fix ... something that didn't happen on my iMac). I still don't use my Photobucket account on my PC machines.

I'm still baffled that Photobucket CAN'T SEEM to communicate with existing customers about changes or what their plans are?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:24 am 

The message here is to get rid of photobucket, surely.

"As a vessel for river service, or assisting troops on land, she would be invaluable, but her shrift would be short if she came within the range of a modem ironclad, for an 18-ton gun would blow her clean out of the water." (HMQS Gayundah)

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 am 

For many individuals who don't post often, there are alternatives. BUT, in many cases you have to play with your images before hand to reduce the size for posting on many forums. A lot of the posting websites are basically a Social Media website. Which I'm not interested in.

For me Photobucket was and still is the easiest image posting/hosting website to use. I don't have to play with my image, their IMG function automatically sizes the image to work on websites. I have literally a couple 1,000 images posted on this website alone. For me to go in and REPOST with another posting website, would take a long, long, long time. I just don't think my time in doing so is worth the hassle. Making the cost look like a better option. I like using "tools" on a computer and not have to learn how to fix, modify, "work around", and curse to use them.

I really expect from what I have read and seen expect that the days everything on the internet being free is coming to an end. SOMEONE has to pay for the services we receive on so called "free" websites. For a longtime it was paid for by advertising (Photobucket ads were an annoyance that I'm glad to be without, plus considering that some ads had malware associated with them) that annoyingly popped up, but that came at a price as well to service and security. I expect that as more and more web services opt for "Pay for Play", the prices will come down further

Photobucket's customer relations/communication sucks, but so does a LOT of outfits on the web. How many websites do you know that offer a telephone number to talk to a REAL person instead of a canned menu system for a limited set of standard problems that don't come close to matching what you are experiencing????

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
I don't have to play with my image, their IMG function automatically sizes the image to work on websites.

I've been using Imgur for a few months. Because I'm no IT genius, I find them totally simple to use, specially for posting images. When you choose one of your images for editing, it will tell you if the image size is too large, and if so, automatically reduce it. When wanting to post there's a list of link formats to use for blogs, message boards, or forums. Click on the appropriate choice. Below that there's a choice of image sizes: from original size, to small, medium, or large thumbnail. Large thumbnail is a good posting size.

:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 pm 

Imgur simple?? :mad_2:

I tried them before Photobucket went with the their pay to post back in in November 2016 when Photobucket was FUBAR for a time after a program "UPGRADE" that wasn't allowing uploads.

There were NO INSTRUCTIONS how to post from IMGUR or what the various options did. I spent several hours to get TWO images posted by having to modify the images to be "post-able" with an IMG link and even then I couldn't figure out how I did it and couldn't duplicate getting another post-able IMG link. "THUMBNAIL" means to me that I would get a really small image like NAVSOURCE has to click on for a link to a larger image. So I stopped using IMGUR that day and have not gone back since.

BUT what was really even worse to me was getting constant E-mails from Imgur with the current TRENDING images posted on Imgur. I didn't want a Social Media website for cute cat/dog images/videos or to get posted comments on my images. I finally had to report them as SPAM to my E-Mail ISP to get them to STOP.

IMGUR ---> A lot of work to post images, awkward process to post those images, and dealing with junk I wanted nothing to do with.

Photobucket is real simple. Go to Library, click the upload link and upload any image of any size, go to the Share link, select IMG, copy the resulting link automatically sized for posting on forums, and paste in a message. Done. No image sizing before uploading. No JUNK MAIL. Simple tool. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 am 

Rick E Davis wrote:
Imgur simple?? :mad_2:
Photobucket is real simple. Go to Library, click the upload link and upload any image of any size, go to the Share link, select IMG, copy the resulting link automatically sized for posting on forums, and paste in a message. Done. No image sizing before uploading. No JUNK MAIL. Simple tool. :big_grin:

So is Flickr ;)

My Blog: http://metusajunction.blogspot.com

My photos: https://www.flickr.com/people/52307730@N06/

Report this post