The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revell airbrush any good
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:35 pm 

Many years ago I bought a Revell airbrush kit which to this day is still unused and a couple of weeks ago I bought myself a Bismarck 1/200 for an unbelievably low price.
Just wondering if they are any good or should I invest in something a little better as I don't want to make a mess of the painting.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:46 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Which in particular?

I've had a Revell Vario Master thing which is absolutely fit for purpose. It's been replaced by something better for personal use but the Revell Vario is now one of the airbrushes I gave to the company and it works hard and reliably spraying all of our tin lids now.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:34 pm 

It's a Beginners Set 39028 and it came with 8 pots of paint (now solidified) and an air canister. Guess the only way to find out is to buy some paint and try it out so I will contact you through your site later in the week.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:40 am 

Cannonball wrote:
It's a Beginners Set 39028 and it came with 8 pots of paint (now solidified) and an air canister. Guess the only way to find out is to buy some paint and try it out so I will contact you through your site later in the week.

Well, I had such item in my early years. It is acceptable if you want to paint a large surface, but not really useful for detail work. If you want a decent airbrush at a very low price, you can get one from China. I use a pair of BT-180T airbrushes daily, one with 0.2 and one with 0.5 nozzles, which cost around 18 Euro each, and come with 3 interchangeable nozzles/needles. Plus one more cannibalized for spares - was cheaper to buy one more then a set of teflon rings.

Air cans are only to try - they are empty in a few minutes, and deliver quite irregular pressure, reducing the quality. Replacement cans are very expensive, and a few of them cost more then a simple but useful compressor.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:54 am 

It looks to me like the Revell airbrush you have is more useful as a spray gun, which isn't necessarily that bad if you're covering large surfaces or if you're painting areas that are masked. What concerns me more are the propellant cans, which I know from experience are far from ideal as an air source, can't be controlled the way a compressed air cylinder or compressor can be (and control of your air source is half the battle in airbrushing), and the same money to buy several cans of propellant will pay for a decent airbrush compressor that will work for years.

My suggestion would be if you're new to airbrushing is to use the Revell airbrush set to acquaint yourself with the principles of using an airbrush - use it to learn how to mix paints for airbrushing, use some scrap cardboard or a discarded model to learn how to lay down a paint coat and how to use the spray pattern to achieve different effects, and so forth. Meanwhile, look for an affordable but good-quality airbrush and compressor (with regulator and moisture trap) for the projects you have coming up. Buy the best-quality airbrush and compressor your budget will allow. They are tools that, properly cared for, will last for decades.

Good luck.

Jodie Peeler

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:12 am 

Many thanks people, must confess that I have never used an airbrush and since my last post I have had a quick look at some airbrushing videos and it would seem that I have a lot to learn.

Report this post