The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:34 pm 

Check out the photos on this link (scroll down page to Almirante Padilla) for Juergen Kluesers finished detailed model from Shipwrite Shapeways print of
Almirante Padilla
https://www.klueser.de/kit.php?index=6974&language=en
(scroll down a bit).

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm 

RODNEY wrote:
Check out the photos on this link (scroll down page to Almirante Padilla) for Juergen Kluesers finished detailed model from Shipwrite Shapeways print of
Almirante Padilla
https://www.klueser.de/kit.php?index=6974&language=en
(scroll down a bit).

The close-ups really show the printing artefacts and the risks of ordering prints from Shapeways - however, since the entry doesn't tell us what material/quality it was printed in, it doesn't tell us much about the actual extent of Shapeway's capabilities.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:05 pm 

Looks like it's been roughly made from cement! :big_grin:
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:31 am 

With some clever sanding he could have turned this into a nice representation of 'oil canning' on a welded hull surface.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:23 am 

Pieter wrote:
With some clever sanding he could have turned this into a nice representation of 'oil canning' on a welded hull surface.

That material is tough and hard to sand and it's EVERYWHERE! Not to mention heavy texture from the wax support. Maybe you could sand-blast it off! :jump_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:54 am 

Ordered the Parche conversion from Mulsanne's Corner. Just waiting for it to ship. :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:10 am 

drasticplastic wrote:
Pieter wrote:

That material is tough and hard to sand and it's EVERYWHERE! Not to mention heavy texture from the wax support. Maybe you could sand-blast it off! :jump_1:

How many 3D printed model did you built? Which printing quality do you bought? The models in Smooth Fine Plastic Detail Plastic quality I bought were easy to sand (if it was necessary to sand), had no heavy texture and the wax support was very easy to remove. Based on 3D printed models from different designers, I have built 9 ships, 8 submarines, and 13 planes and had not these experiences.

You tend to generalize your experience without giving any details.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:31 am 

Pieter wrote:

Is a waist of time trying to do that in White Natural Versatile Plastic ,the best can be done is to seal the material with either putty or cyanoacrylate glue and then later do the canning with paint effect.

That material is truly horrible for serious modelling ,is good for war gaming or playing around,the surface is so rough that looks like sandpaper with stretch marks,the minimum quality I will buy from a 3D printed ship will be PA12 and up

3.- Don't build it

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:14 pm 

Do you have photos of models printed in PA12? What kind of models you have in this quality?

It is sometimes much cheaper than Smooth Fine Plastic Detail Plastic, but I feared it is not worth buying.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:16 pm 

I posted a comparison of PA12, versatile, and fine detail here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=266410#p870881

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:43 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
I posted a comparison of PA12, versatile, and fine detail here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=266410#p870881

Thanks Timmy this link is quite useful https://cf.geekdo-images.com/original/img/hcWLMEWtuihdxGsl31xYdE-nRtA=/0x0/pic4785712.jpg

3.- Don't build it

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:22 pm 

maxim wrote:
How many 3D printed model did you built? Which printing quality do you bought? The models in Smooth Fine Plastic Detail Plastic quality I bought were easy to sand (if it was necessary to sand), had no heavy texture and the wax support was very easy to remove. Based on 3D printed models from different designers, I have built 9 ships, 8 submarines, and 13 planes and had not these experiences.

You tend to generalize your experience without giving any details.

Actually I've never built a single 3D printed model - they all come in a single piece with no assembly required. So I don't know what kind of models you're talking about! I bought these:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/KZ9PV ... arketplace
and:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6DZJG ... arketplace
Both in White Natural Versatile Plastic, and both unusable (sure, you could sand the hull sides with a LOT of work, but difficult to impossible to sand the decks and recessed areas.) I posted pics of them here a few months ago. Do you need more details??

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:57 pm 

@ Timmy: thank you! I had seen that link, but honestly I have problems to judge the quality from that picture. The main problem is that not always the same side of the model is shown to make a direct comparison possible. The picture gives the impression that PA12 and Smooth Fine Detail Plastic are similar. At least the surface of PA12 appears to be fine, but is it useful for finer details? I am not sure.

@ drasticplastic: you bought unfortunately the wrong printing quality. I agree that the cheapest quality makes the model unusable. These two models are actually good, if printed in a proper quality. I bought one of the smaller EFC from the same designer:

This is this model printed in Smooth Fine Detail Plastic:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6DZJG3V5A/efc-1020-laker-ww1-freighter-1-600-1-700?optionId=62963900&li=shops

All the models I bought, have to be additionally detailed, i.e. extra parts (scratch built or from other sources) have to be added. There are models, which consists of several parts including these freighters, which include parts for the masts (which I will replace with metal parts).

Here is another example for a 3D printed model consisting of several parts, RV Petrel by Masters of Military (photos showed it not cleaned, there is still wax visible):

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5837:masters-of-military-forschungsschiff-rv-petrel-1700&catid=544:masters-of-military

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 am 

maxim wrote:
Here is another example for a 3D printed model consisting of several parts, RV Petrel by Masters of Military (photos showed it not cleaned, there is still wax visible):

The actual wax is not the problem - it can be scrubbed off with a stiff brush. In Shapeways' printers wax is used to support overhanging portions of structures. If you notice, Model Monkey, and Reedoak, uses resin structural supports for this reason, leaving all those little "legs" to clip off - but it leaves a much cleaner and smoother surface. With the wax, when the hot resin meets the wax support, the wax melts a bit and leaves a ripply texture (quite separate and distinct from printing striations) visible on under-surfaces, and sometimes on sides depending on how the subject is oriented for printing. These textures are frequently on visible yet inaccessible areas and are difficult to impossible to remove.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:59 am 

Ah, usually that can be scratched or sanded away - at least the examples I have seen. For sure annoying.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:48 am 

maccrage wrote:
Ordered the Parche conversion from Mulsanne's Corner. Just waiting for it to ship. :smallsmile:

Sweet, thanks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:50 am 

maxim wrote:
Do you think it would be possible to make these also in 1/700?

Yes, did some work with the model and it's coming along. Will sprue a couple together I think, 4 maybe? And see that the price is.

I think you'll be able to see this link:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WYKUF8ESW/guppy-portsmouth-sail-1-700

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:45 pm 

That looks good! A set of 4 sails is a good idea. There are plenty of conversions possible.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:02 am 

maxim wrote:
That looks good! A set of 4 sails is a good idea. There are plenty of conversions possible.

I've made that live now:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WYKUF8ESW/guppy-portsmouth-sail-1-700

Guess I need to look at doing the same to the EB sail.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:58 am 

Thank you very much!

The EB sail would be nice. That would be the one e.g. for USS Croaker?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:U.S.S._Croaker_5.jpg

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next