The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am 

During Magic carpets the air groups were landed. That left a lot of space on the flight deck and it is a fairly regular occurrence to see rafts stacked and strapped down on deck. I don't believe they would put containers for life vests that high up, but that location doesn't make sense for a lot of things and at least the vests were fairly light...

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 am 

Yea, it was a stab in the dark. This is really a good poser for all...what ARE those darn things???

And the fact that I've not found any sort of these additions to any of the other carriers. Very odd indeed!

Builder's yard:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late 1940 1:200
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
Finished:
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 pm 

BB62vet wrote:
Yea, it was a stab in the dark. This is really a good poser for all...what ARE those darn things???

And the fact that I've not found any sort of these additions to any of the other carriers. Very odd indeed!

...maybe Hancock was part of the "Philadelphia Experiment"? If she was invisible that would also explain the lack of pictures... :lol_1:

cheers
Uwe

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:24 pm 

According to the last Hancock Association newsletter I received a few weeks ago there are 90+ WWII crewmen still alive.

I will contact the Association and ask that they pose this question in their next newsletter along with the photo posted at the beginning of this discussion and if any vet knows the answer to please contact me. Unfortunately it will probably be at least 2-4 months before the next newsletter.

Per the photo in the site below the tub below the forward 40MM on the island is probably for a director and what look like boxes on the Hancock photo are probably vertical bars possibly to strengthen the tub. This photo is a little closer and a little better res than some of the other photos of the Hancock island. Perhaps one way to confirm that theory is to examine photos of the other director tubs. The Essex CASF site might have such photos.
https://mholloway63.wordpress.com/2015/ ... net-cv-12/

Moderators may I suggest you leave this discussion here or transfer it to another topic group.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:42 pm 

FRED BRANYAN wrote:
According to the last Hancock Association newsletter I received a few weeks ago there are 90+ WWII crewmen still alive.

I will contact the Association and ask that they pose this question in their next newsletter along with the photo posted at the beginning of this discussion and if any vet knows the answer to please contact me. Unfortunately it will probably be at least 2-4 months before the next newsletter.

Per the photo in the site below the tub below the forward 40MM on the island is probably for a director and what look like boxes on the Hancock photo are probably vertical bars possibly to strengthen the tub. This photo is a little closer and a little better res than some of the other photos of the Hancock island. Perhaps one way to confirm that theory is to examine photos of the other director tubs. The Essex CASF site might have such photos.
https://mholloway63.wordpress.com/2015/ ... net-cv-12/

Moderators may I suggest you leave this discussion here or transfer it to another topic group.

Nothing like a fascinating mystery! I think the point about these not being within quick reach adds to the mystery. Slightly more handy than storage below decks perhaps, but what would be so important it be handy from the bridge - but not handy enough to be within reach? Can't wait for the answer and hope the association can shed some light.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm 

Email to the Association newsletter editor just sent is copied below. The site does not allow email addresses or net sites to be quoted.

I neglected to mention above that boxes for sure appeared on the director tub by the time the initial photos on this discussion were taken.

Sorry to say my one and only ride on a Navy vessel 47 years ago left me clueless as to what the answer to this mystery is. It was not a WWII CV. I hope the mystery is solved, an interesting one indeed.

Greetings

My father was on the Hancock for all of its WWII service but he is no longer with us to answer this question. Please see the photos at
STRANGE BOXES ON ISLAND OF CVI9 USS HANCOCK on the Modelwarshipsdotcom main forum. It appears the member who put them there wishes to build a model of the ship as it appeared late in the war. I would like to help him. Could you please include a few of those photos in the next newsletter and ask any WWII vet who knows what the boxes were for to contact me at my phone number or my email address?
Many thanks.

Fred Branyan

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm 

Just a guess. They remind me of the Kapok Life jacket lockers I owned on USS Enterprise which were in the hangar bay. We would load them through the door on the front and then you could pull a lanyard that would open the trap door at the bottom for quick release of the jackets on to the deck. The ones on Big E were mounted high as well so they would not be in the way. Perhaps these were storage for the crew whose battle station was in the island. You would not want them at the flight deck level as they would project into the landing/parking area.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm 

Charles,

The first logical possibility!! Otherwise placing cabinets in those locations would be like putting putting kitchen cabinets on the OUTSIDE of a 2nd floor balcony railing. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
Charles,

The first logical possibility!! Otherwise placing cabinets in those locations would be like putting putting kitchen cabinets on the OUTSIDE of a 2nd floor balcony railing. :big_grin:

Just checked the photos I have...all of the boxes on the island are in deed overhead over platforms or walk ways! There are none in locations that could not be reached by someone stretching out while standing underneath one. How many vests would be in one box...how many did you have in the boxes on Enterprise? And...where were those vests stored on carrier islands normally? They are stiff, non inflatable, so they did occupy quite some room.
Now...was this a war time adjustment already or maybe a MC ride feature? I guess we should check pictures of other MC ships with a sharper eye.

thanks
Uwe

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:17 pm 

Only mention of anything related to life vests in Hancock's departure report is moving some floater net and raft stowage around on and underneath the catwalks. Only mention of locker fabrication is a bunch of 40mm clipping room additions in the hangar deck and two aircraft destruction lockers on the flight deck. Only mention of work on the island is removal of two search lights and swapping out of electronics gear inside (oh yeah, moving a compass and pelorus).

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm 

So the boxes in Big E were in the hangar bay near abandon ship muster points; none were on the island or flight deck. I don't remember the capacity, but during our transit across the Atlantic we had to seal the boxes because we had an unknown sailor steal life jackets and through them overboard in the middle of the night to cause a man-overboard muster. Some fun, huh. Not uncommon - a perverse way to get 5000 people to bend to your will.

So during WWII, as far as I know, kapok life jackets were part of the battle dress in the event sailors were blown overboard.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:20 am 

Similar overhead storage is how they have handled life jackets on Washington State Ferries, but I believe they are command released from the bridge as I don't ever remember seeing lanyards for crew or passengers (and I have to believe they'd be a constant headache if passengers normally had access).

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:04 am 

...let me think...
Every time the ship goes to "general quarters" the men have to get their vest and helmet...right? It hence would be quite cumbersome having to get out of the island to get to your vests...and afterwards take a ladder to re-fill all those magazines...
Maybe those boxes contained floatation devices that were just intended to be used in an emergency and the "normal" day to day wear was stored inside?

cheers
Uwe

Last edited by anj4de on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:36 am 

Helmets were normally stored at the battle stations. True battle stations required much more than just the two - there was also "anti flash" garments worn to protect from burns.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:03 pm 

I found another picture of Hancock after the Pearl Harbour refit...with an air wing on board, so no MC yet. Do I see boxes around the island? Does anybody have this picture in better quality?
The cut out in the flight deck is also gone which was only done at her Pearl yard time...I think this picture was taken at the day she and Shangri La came home to the west coast. There was a bilmp there at that day...video is on youtube under Shangi La...and the positioning of the planes, lots of folks on deck and the calm water match that. Date...I guess Oct.45

cheers
Uwe

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm 

no boxes shown august 1945 http://navsource.org/archives/01/063/016328h.jpg USS Hancock (CV-19) and USS Missouri (BB-63), August 1945.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm 

DavidP wrote:
no boxes shown august 1945 http://navsource.org/archives/01/063/016328h.jpg USS Hancock (CV-19) and USS Missouri (BB-63), August 1945.

This photo isn't Hancock. Navsource has been notified but it hasn't been updated yet.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 pm 

That photo is USS Tappahannock (AO-43) refueling USS Bonhomme Richard (CV-31) and USS Missouri (BB-63), July 1945.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/19/091904301.jpg

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:40 pm 

July 8, to be exact. :thumbs_up_1:

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 pm 

I connected with the editor of the USS Hancock Association newsletter. The question will be addressed in the next newsletter due out on 3/15 with a request for any WWII crewman who can solve the mystery to contact me. Stand by to stand by in the meantime.

Report this post