The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 pm 

Have I missed it or has there not been made yet a 1:350 USS Triton SSNR 586. Looks like we have most ever class of boat except for that one .

Keith

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:54 pm 

No, there is no 1/350 scale Triton (SSRN 586) available. Seems a natural subject, as the only US sub with twin reactors, although Triton was a bit of a white elephant and quickly retired. But then there were other not so successful subs such as USS Tullibee (SSN 597) which have been issued in 1/350.

There is a 1/700 scale resin version of Triton by OKB Grigorov.

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:21 pm 

Tom Dougherty wrote:
such as USS Tullibee (SSN 597) which have been issued in 1/350.

When was this? Must've missed something....

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 am 

Keith Bender wrote:
Looks like we have most ever class of boat except for that one .

Keith

Well, I think the 'Ethan Allen' (SSBN-608) class is also still lacking, and there were five boats in this class. Not singletons like the Triton and the Tullibee.

However, for a persistent modeler these can be converted out of the succeeding Lafayette class from MikroMir
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss/ssbn-608/EthanAllen-350-ms/index.htm

I need to update that gallery entry as new insights and improvements have already made considerable changes to that model...

Last edited by Maarten Schönfeld on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:32 am 

Tullibee:
Quote:
When was this? Must've missed something....

Yankee Modelworks; shortly before they sold their molds to Blue Ridge. Come with both short & long PUFFS. Pioneered several aspects of modern SSN design (bow sonar, amidships torpedoes & had PUFFS to use the hull baseline as a sonar bearing measure) but was a small submarine, had a one off reactor (S1C) and employed turboelectric drive (not too successfully) rather than steam turbines.

Maarten. I agree; for some reason that intermediate class of SSBNs is not represented. Your write up of your conversion (which is an excellent job!!) seems to indicate that the missile tubes were of different diameters. That is incorrect; all of the Polaris submarines had the same diameter missile tubes. The early (A-1, A-2, A-3) missiles had smaller diameters than the missile tubes, and tube lining, shock absorbing materials were added to surround those missiles so they were immobile & insulated from shock in the tubes. The larger diameter (74 in.) Poseidon missiles did not need the liners, as they fit into the tubes. The shock system was redesigned and held the missile from the bottom with a shock absorber system As far as I know, the spacing of the 8 X 2 missile tubes was not changed in the different classes. The missile compartment external area may have been of different lengths due to equipment changes within the compartment, and faired in better than with the Washington class. The Ethan Allen class was 410 feet in length. The later Lafayette/Ben Franklin boats were longer (425 ft.) due to changes in the propulsion area to reduce sound emissions.

I have parts of the piping TAB for the 611 boat, which include external drawings of the submarine. None of the classified material is in the partial set.

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 am 

Hi Tom,

We had a discussion about these 608 boats in the "41 for Freedom" topic:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=81995&start=20

From the various sources that passed in this item one can learn that in the 608 class the distance between centers of the missile tubes was 105 inches (or three frames of 35"), which seems exactly the average between this dimension in the Washington and the Lafayette classes. As for the dimension of the tubes themselves I cannot say.

Mr David merriman was also of the opinion that all the 'Polaris' SSBNs had the same tubes, but the drawings of SSBN 610 don't really support that view.

By the way, I originally even thought that the missile compartment of the Ethan Allans was essentially of the same dimensions as that of the George Washingtons, and that the forward hull was similar to the Lafayettes: well, that's wrong too, the sail is in fact much closer to the bow than in the Lafayettes, and the missile compartment is longer, but not as long as in the Lafayettes. So that's why my gallery entry needs an update!

Over to you again!

Report this post