The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paint Models with Ease
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:05 pm 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

We keep reading about modelers having issues with various manufacturer's enamel and/or acrylic paints in many forums. Either with clogging the air brush, having to dilute the paint substantially, going bad in the bottle, getting a rough finish, having to make several light passes, etc.

Tru-Color Paint is the easiest paint to use for the model market - as shown by the fact that we supply at least 4 model railroad manufacturers with our paint, 50+ custom painters and numerous modelers for locomotives, passenger and freight cars, structures and other applications. Now we are serving the model automobile, ship, plane and armor markets with the same easy to use paint.

Since it is a single component solvent based paint it NEVER cures and will not "go bad" in the bottle. Even after opening, if some of the solvents should evaporate, you can add some thinner and/or retarder and reconstitute the paint without affecting the finish or performance. And to back that up - we GUARANTEE that our paint will perform as intended.

Tru-Color Paint may be thinned using our thinner or retarder, but most of the colors are intended to be sprayed directly from the bottle, without the need for thinning, at 28-35 PSI using a fine or medium tip. You will ALWAYS get a smooth coating and the paint will cover your model in one pass !

We have nearly 200 colors now available in the military paint product lines - nearly every U.S. Naval color from WWII to date, all modern U.S. Air Force colors, nearly all of the U.S. Armor colors from WWII to date and we produce another 75+ colors for detailing your model or diorama. Inter-war years and WWI colors will be added to the product line. All of the 10 most common Imperial Japanese Naval colors will be released over a 3 month period starting in February 2018.

Other countries military colors are being matched in our modern laboratory and we will have them on display at the IMPS National Convention (August 1-4, 2018) in Phoenix, AZ.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reply to this thread, contact us by phone or email.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779
email: tru.colorpaint1@yahoo.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 pm 

I'm intrigued by your product and product description to the point that I'd like to give them a try but trying to find a paint on your website is discouraging, to say the least. I'd like to be able to look at a color chart and see the color I want along with its name but that's not easily done. Yes, you have color charts - 18 separate ones! - with no indication which one of the 18 might have the color I'm interested in. Again, yes, there are individual written descriptions with no color chip if I have an exact product in mind but I'd like to see the color chip associated with the described paint.

For example, I went to your site to try to find a cream color for a project I'm working on. It's not any particular specific color, just cream. The only thing I could see to do was one by one download and look at all 18 color charts. Well, I quickly gave up on that.

Another example ... I tried to find the thinner you produce, assuming you produce one, and I couldn't. I saw a color database and figured that might have what I want but it's apparently only for railroad colors.

So, I'm left with a desire to try the paints but no desire to wade through the website and color chart challenges.

My suggestion is to produce a master, all-encompassing color chart or, alternatively, a couple of major color charts such as one for railroad and one for military.

As it stands, I've not purchased anything and likely won't due to the difficulty. Your website is standing in the way of sales!

Take these comments for what they're worth.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:18 am 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

Bob:

Thank you for the reply to this thread. Since our product lines encompass over 650 colors it would be impractical to put all the color chips on 1 page. It would be way too big for the website to handle and would not make it any easier to find a color.

We have 2 cream colors that you might be interested in : TCP-225 Passenger Car Interior Cream and TCP-418 Matte Stucco Cream. The Interior Cream has a gloss finish, the other is matte.

The color chips we have on the website are actually scans of the paint rack inserts we supply hobby shops for their paint racks and are set up in stock # order. There is a listing of every color we make on our website so you can search the list and then go to the color charts. When the military paint rack inserts are ready in about 2 weeks, we will upload them in the same manner as all the other charts. Since the first inserts we will have fit our racks (as opposed to older racks some hobby shops may have from out-of-business competitors) there will be 36 chips on a sheet so we should be able to upload all the naval colors on 1 page, all the armor colors on 1 page and all the air craft colors on another page. This should make it easier for the hobbyist to find a color he needs.

Hope this helps.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 am 

Im willing to try some of these paints for my Washington ca 1942 Guadalcanal build, so haze grey, navy blue and deck blue are what Id want. Im in EU, so whats the best way to buy your products in europe? Who carrries your products in EU?

As for website, you could improve few things easily.

1) no shopping cart? - the option to download some form is archaic and perhaps ok for mom-and-pop shop in middle of nowhere but do you really want all this paperwork? digital it should be
2) Paint chips - you got a lot of pdfs. They dont need to be so big size, and they certainly could use names for them rather than numbers (PDF 11, PDF 12)
3) id much rather have an option to buy package of paint for some specific schemes as well. Like Measure 22 camouflage would be cool so it saves me time looking through the site, even better, you could specify the years late war or early war should there be variations. If you are going for such rich SKU count...
4) best to have some kind of base package for Germany, UK, Japan, France and Italy (may be Russia). I appreciate the vast selection as much as the next guy, but the basics need to be in place first. It appears you will release ALL in one go, but that means lost sales for you perhaps.
5) You say your paints airbrush great. Guess what - Tamiya airbrushes great also, however there is a problem with Tamiya. It is terrible to hand brush. For naval modelling using a hand brush is often very important, decks at least, some fixtures, etc. Many paint the whole ship by hand. If your paint is easy to hand brush, with addition of your own thinners, it would make things a LOT more attractive.
6) pay attention to antifouling paints - they are cool to buy if they are done properly. for example, Tamiya doesnt produce a correct antifouling red. It makes some dark brown reddish thing that they say suits IJN - fine, thats just WW2... For the rest people have to mix stuff. you want USN red - Tamiya Hull Red + Brown. You want RN Red - Tamiya red + dark yellow + brown and have fun and so on. IJN pre WW1 vintage? RN dreadnoughts? German Imperial Navy? You want Italian navy green antifouling paint - well just good luck sir. So you have some room there to add things. Basically as of today, if you wanna build a full hull ship your antifouling color options are very limited, or pretty much a derivative of Tamiya Red and Hull Red (which doesnt suit anything by IJN late war). If you target niches - here is one thats empty.

Anyway thats just from 10 min looking at your site. Good luck with your business and wish you a prosperous start to 2018!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 am 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

PASCALEMODEL & OTHERS:

" id much rather have an option to buy package of paint for some specific schemes as well. Like Measure 22 camouflage would be cool so it saves me time looking through the site, even better, you could specify the years late war or early war should there be variations. If you are going for such rich SKU count..."

We appreciate the suggestions and comments about our website. We will attempt to make it easier to find color chips, buying product directly from the website and see what we can do about other areas that should be improved.

One item in particular is to group the U.S. Navy colors by camouflage Measure Number, which is a great idea. We will develop a spread sheet showing the major Measure schemes (19 including certain revisions), the colors, years and our stock # so that a modeler can purchase the colors he needs for the particular model/era he is building.
We should be able to post that within 2 weeks.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to serving the modelers with our paint.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:42 am 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

As promised. The U.S. Navy WWII camouflage table has been added to the Military Paint - Marine Vessels section on our website. It shows the colors and Tru-Color Paint stock numbers for every major camouflage measure listed on the Short & Snyder website including revisions and pre-war colors.

Note that we list the 3 colors common to most U.S. Naval ships from 1939-1945: Norfolk 65-A Anti-Fouling Red; Boot Black and Polished Bronze (for the propellers) plus useful items such as Thinner, Retarder and 2 Finishes for your model.

As far as we can tell through our research there is NO such listing for the various browns and greens used for landing craft, PT boats and other vessels used in the Pacific Theater of Operations. If we have been remiss in finding this data, please inform us. We will be happy to add another chart for these colors if the data can be verified.

Now that this info is available for the modeler to determine what colors are needed for your model and year you wish to represent, it will make it much easier to purchase our paint by email or calling us.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

We have taken all the comments about our website into consideration and have modified all the military pages in the following manner.

1) Color chips for all of the paints have been added to their appropriate category. That is all the U.S. Naval colors have been added to the Naval page, Armor Colors to the armor page and Aircraft colors to the Aircraft page. As we add more countries colors we will update the website accordingly.

2) Color chips and information on popular generic colors, solvents (thinner and retarder), finishes (clear flat and clear gloss) and paint useful for figures and dioramas are shown on 2 pages added to each military paint section - armor, aircraft and naval. It makes it easier for the modeler to find white, black, red, etc.

3) In the Naval page there is a reference table showing the Camouflage Measures of the U.S. Navy with the Correct Tru-Color Paint stock number for that paint and time frame. All of the Grays, Blues, Anti-Fouling Red and Deck colors are represented. We could not find a similar table for the Greens and Browns used on ships in the Pacific.

4) The order forms will stay as we feel this is more secure than having a shopping cart where the credit/debit card info might be compromised by hackers. Since we invoice via Paypal (a very secure platform) just the email address is needed for billing purposes.

We believe this covers the majority of the comments regarding our website. If there is anything else we should address, please reply to this thread.

Looking forward to meeting with all the modelers at the IPMS National Convention in Phoenix, AZ on August 1-4, 2018 at the Phoenix Convention Center.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779
email: tru.colorpaint1@yahoo.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:07 pm 

A couple of comments.
First off, thanks for listening and making changes.

As far as the Measure table goes, I'd like to to make a suggestion for a couple of additions, or at least a couple of tweaks. I'm not sure how you would prefer to do either so I'll merely describe them. Measures 11 & 12 were released to the Navy in September/October of 1941, but the Navy was unhappy with the 5-S Sea Blue and quickly swapped it out for 5-N Navy Blue. We see the Atlantic fleet order the swap of colors in early November, 1941 and the Pacific Fleet follow suite in December.

This has caused confusion and incorrect renditions in artwork and on models ever since because Measure 11 was still largely referred to as just Measure 11. The splotchy Measure 12 has been referred to as "Measure 12 Revised" or "Measure 12 modified" but even that generally lists 5-S Sea Blue instead of 5-N Navy Blue.

So, I don't know if you want to have two versions of each with a note as to date range, etc., or leave them as is.

From a usability standpoint I found your style sheet a little confusing at first. "PRICING ON ALL TRU-COLOR PAINT" is black, which sort-of sets the expectation that black is the regular text color. "USN camouflage colors – by measures" was also black, then "Paint Chips" and "Generic, etc." were in teh blue that is traditionally used for links by default. I had to hover and click around for a second or two before I found everything. Some general description of the number ranges would be helpful as well. "1036-1071" for example could be "WWII US Greens & modern FS grays."

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 pm 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

Tracy:

The Short & Synder website is where we obtained the info on the camouflage measures. Will have to wait until the weekend to work on modifying the chart to include the data you kindly furnished.

However, we did adjust the website making the paint chip pages stand out in blue and the headings in various colors to highlight the titles. Trust this helps to eliminate any confusion on the use of the paint chip charts.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 am 

If you want an official rewrite let me know - I'm Randy's webmaster :thumbs_up_1:
We talked briefly about your paints about a week and a half ago but ran out of time to finish, for what it's worth.

Last suggestion I have is to make the "Tru-Color Paint" in your signature so that it's easier for modelers here to get to your site! :big_grin:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:46 pm 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

Tracy:

I'm really bad when it comes to doing anything not "normal" to our website so I have no idea how to do the signature to website link that you mentioned. The update to the camouflage data I can handle.

Talked to Randy again last week. Very nice man.

Will have some teak samples to send you early next week and the only way I can see making multiple paints work and simulate a wood floor on a plastic substrate is to spray thin coats and use a sponge or something similar to expose the underlying colors. Or do you have another technique in mind that I cannot see that can be used for a fairly large area ? With these we will also ship the colors you ordered, thinner and reatrder.

Martin Cohen
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 am 

trucolorpaint wrote:
I'm really bad when it comes to doing anything not "normal" to our website so I have no idea how to do the signature to website link that you mentioned...
Tru-Color Paint

If I am not mistaking, to add a hyperlink in your signature, just go to "User Control Panel" (top right), then go to "Profile" on the left side, after it navigate to "Edit signature", and then add whatever you want/need (for adding a hyperlink, go to "URL" button).

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:42 am 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

Mopy & Tracy:

Thank you for your help. Got the signature to work - links to our website.

Ain't technology wonderful !

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 am 

trucolorpaint wrote:

Yes, I too enjoy being able to make mistakes at the speed of light! :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

Tracy White wrote:
trucolorpaint wrote:

Yes, I too enjoy being able to make mistakes at the speed of light! :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

But at least we can edit them on this website ! :cool_2: :woo_hoo:

Martin Cohen
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:19 pm 

Quote:
We keep reading about modelers having issues with various manufacturer's enamel and/or acrylic paints in many forums. Either with clogging the air brush, having to dilute the paint substantially, going bad in the bottle, getting a rough finish, having to make several light passes, etc.

Tru-Color Paint is the easiest paint to use for the model market - as shown by the fact that we supply at least 4 model railroad manufacturers with our paint, 50+ custom painters and numerous modelers for locomotives, passenger and freight cars, structures and other applications. Now we are serving the model automobile, ship, plane and armor markets with the same easy to use paint.

Since it is a single component solvent based paint it NEVER cures and will not "go bad" in the bottle. Even after opening, if some of the solvents should evaporate, you can add some thinner and/or retarder and reconstitute the paint without affecting the finish or performance. And to back that up - we GUARANTEE that our paint will perform as intended.

Tru-Color Paint may be thinned using our thinner or retarder, but most of the colors are intended to be sprayed directly from the bottle, without the need for thinning, at 28-35 PSI using a fine or medium tip. You will ALWAYS get a smooth coating and the paint will cover your model in one pass !

We have nearly 200 colors now available in the military paint product lines - nearly every U.S. Naval color from WWII to date, all modern U.S. Air Force colors, nearly all of the U.S. Armor colors from WWII to date and we produce another 75+ colors for detailing your model or diorama. Inter-war years and WWI colors will be added to the product line. All of the 10 most common Imperial Japanese Naval colors will be released over a 3 month period starting in February 2018.

Other countries military colors are being matched in our modern laboratory and we will have them on display at the IMPS National Convention (August 1-4, 2018) in Phoenix, AZ.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reply to this thread, contact us by phone or email.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

I must be doing something very wrong as I have found when using your paint there is no way it will shoot through my airbrush (Iwata Neo) at 28 to 35 psi. The only way to get a smooth coat out of it was at nearly 60 psi. I think your colors are right on for modern naval ships but the drying time is very frustrating. (way too long for me) Having bought 5 different colors I will continue to use them until they are finished, but if I can not master them soon I would not recommend them.

Last edited by Timmy C on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
added quotation tags

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm 

USSHornet wrote:
I must be doing something very wrong as I have found when using your paint there is no way it will shoot through my airbrush (Iwata Neo) at 28 to 35 psi. The only way to get a smooth coat out of it was at nearly 60 psi. I think your colors are right on for modern naval ships but the drying time is very frustrating. (way too long for me) Having bought 5 different colors I will continue to use them until they are finished, but if I can not master them soon I would not recommend them.

Have you tried lowering the PSI instead? I know it's formulated for air brush but you might also try experimenting with some thinning.

Martin - side note. Paints arrived at the start of a cold spell spell. Sat out in the mailbox at about 34 degrees for a couple of hours - any expectation of issues with that? I know my local hobby shop has had a lot of problems with Vallejo acrylics that suffered similar fates during shipping, but my model master and colourcoat enamels have done fine. Because of the cold spell and the fact that I paint out in the garage, I most likely won't be able to shoot teak now until I get back from some travel on Monday.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:33 pm 
True Color Paint
True Color Paint

Tru-Color Paint should easily spray between 28-35 PSI with a medium tip. Try adding a few drops of TCP-015, Thinner, or TCP-310 Retarder to the cup. That should help bring down the viscosity.

Even in the wintertime Tru-Color Paint can be shipped safely through the mail or UPS. The freezing point of our paint is sub-zero. Once the paint comes up to room temperature, shake the bottle well and it should behave normally. Air brush spraying in a cold area may be an issue - the paint may draw moisture from the air as it dries and the results is a "blush". This can be alleviated by adding some TCP-310, Retarder, to the mix to slow down the evaporation rate.

Depending on the ambient temp. and humidity Tru-Color Paint should dry within 15-30 minutes to the touch . You may start decaling within an hour after applying the last coat of paint to the model.

Trust the above info helps.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm 

Thanks for the Info Martin. Our highs have been in the low 30s the last couple of days but we should be into the 40s later this week.. I usually warm the paint, thinner, airbrush, and tank of air up when it's could out before bringing it all outside, which does help. I have a evening or two of catch-up to do after being out of town this weekend, but should be able to get to airbrushing Thursday night.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post