The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Missouri's Boat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:46 am 

I posted my question originally in the "Calling all Iowa Fans" thread, but have received no responses.
Did the Missouri carry a 35' plane rearming boat on the after deck when she entered Tokyo Bay? Tom's Floating Drydock plans indicate a "33 ft aircraft boat", but according to his publication "Boats of the US Navy 1960", there was no 33 footer aircraft boat, only the 35 footer I mentioned previously. What he has drawn on the plans looks just like the 35 footer in the book, so I have to assume it was un fact the 35' boat. The more important question is was it on board when the Missouri entered Tokyo bay. This is the last remaining item that I need to build to complete my scratch built 1/192 model, so I would really like to get this resolved so I can start on the Arizona.
Thank you.

Larry

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Missouri's Boat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 am 

Hi,

What I have to say is ZERO criticism!!!! I want that understood from the start!!! I feel most of us here are very much like you in that we struggle for accuracy vs the limitations of reality. I applaud such a colossal endeavor as that of a 1/192 Missouri. My friend, I hope my words help you through your struggle of accuracy....my gut punch advice is to "let it go." Your talking a difference of two feet on boats that are near identical in appearance. Accuracy is one thing but a small launch on a MUCH LARGER model isn't going to detract from that model one bit! Think of it this way: No one is going to call you my friend with a scale ruler and say "what a nice Iowa class battleship that's nearly FIVE full FEET in length (55 inches I believe?), too bad he screwed up that 35' foot whale boat on the after deck." See what I mean? lol :heh: If the boat were twice as short or longer, then yeah it would be "that big of a deal", but I don't want you to get mired in a mental argument with yourself or anyone else for that matter over two inch's at the 1/192 scale. Its your model (and a hell of an endeavor!!!). No one else's!!!!! Your artistic license is just that my friend....YOURS!!!

For what its worth, there were 33' and 35' rearming boats according to the "Historical Naval Ships Association" website.
See: http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-d ... ates-navy/

As to the second part of your question. The boat could of very well been aboard. There are plenty of pictures of Missouri on V-J day in Tokyo Harbor. My most humbled advise is to make your boat, lightly affix it to where its would of been stowed, if you find a picture showing the boat is not there on that specific date, simply remove it.

I blew the below link up to 400 times the image size. Could very well have been that the rearming boat was actually in the water and not specifically stowed on the ship while in Tokyo Harbor, see below

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

In any case, I hope you find my answers helpful, not overly critical or disparaging IN ANY WAY. I'm sure you will find your own way with this matter and many modelers will hopefully second my advice/opinion in order to help you along. Best of luck!!!! :wave_1:

D.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Missouri's Boat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:34 am 

Don,
I absolutely take no offense to your response.
You are right about a 33' boat existing, but it has blunt bow versus a pointed bow in the 35 footer.
I pretty sure one of the boats in the water, near the stern of the Missouri in the picture you referenced, is the boat. I also found a picture showing the boat in place in August of '45, so I am very certain it was on board at the time of the surrender.
Thanks so much for your help in answering my question. Now I can move on.

Larry

Report this post