The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hull lines
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 pm 

Looking for close up pictures of the hull paint and the flat black line on the 1/200th scale Missouri. any other pictures would be great.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: hull lines
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 am 

Here you go:

Deleted. Sorry, I would never have guessed you were looking for a model picture.

Last edited by InchHigh on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 am 

Inch - he's looking for photos of the 200th scale model itself.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 am 

Robert,

Being a "newbie" you haven't figured out yet that asking questions re. the same model/build in different forums only confuses the issue. Stick with one - since you posted a question on CASF/Battleships yesterday - stay there!!! Makes it simpler for the rest of us to reply, etc.

You haven't responded to my reply on that forum, so we're still in the dark as to WHAT version of NEW JERSEY are you building.

Consequently, the question you asked here about the flat black line (it's called a Boot Topping) and hull paint are rather premature at best.

Since you've provided us NO information re. your build, it's hard to answer anything at this point.

But, let me give you a pointer or two:

There is a wealth of info on this forum re. IOWA class battleships and various builds in various scales. I would highly recommend that you spend some time and read thru the CASF forum (IOWA class) and familiarize yourself with what's ALREADY HERE - there will also be many references to drawings, plans, reference books/materials that most certainly should be of interest to you.

Hope this helps,

Builder's yard:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late 1940 1:200
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
Finished:
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:20 pm 

I'm looking for the Korean conflict era. My uncle was stationed on board the new Jersey for three years, so this is for him.
I will continue to look at the forum for the info.
Thanks again.
Robert

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:07 am 

Robert,

OK, so KOREAN WAR Era - that's a good starting point - NEW JERSEY's 2nd commission (21 NOV 50).
Attachment:
BB62 in Japan 1953.jpg
BB62 in Japan 1953.jpg [ 70.66 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Here are a few suggested reference materials I would say are paramount to building this model:
1. The Floating Drydock - USS MISSOURI E-Plan Book (must have) http://www.floatingdrydock.com/
2. The Floating Drydock - USS NEW JERSEY Plans - may not have her Korean War configuration plan, but MISSOURI would be closer than other ships
3. San Francisco Maritime Nat'l Park Assoc - Booklet of General Plans - USS MISSOURI 1950 (any plans that are drawn in 1:192 scale will need to be scaled to 1:200 (0.96%) - can be done at one of the commercial print shops. https://maritime.org/doc/plans/index.htm (keep in mind that BoGP plans are generalized and may not reflect the actual ship as built)

You will NOT be using the kit parts for 20mm AA guns, A/C Catapults/planes, and the main mast will need replacing. There are other differences, but that's all part of the research into building this kit! :thumbs_up_1:

The kit hull is not correctly shaped - and there is quite a bit of discussion on the forum about this. Whether this matters to you or not is a personal thing, so be aware going forward. Trumpeter has a problem with this in several of their kits.

The Pontos Detail Up MISSOURI set w/teak deck would be recommended but keep in mind that the deck is designed for the WWII version - You could inquire with Pontos about ordering a wood deck that I had made up for my Vietnam Era NEW JERSEY that might be closer to what you need since all the 20mm gun cutouts are removed as well as the holes for the catapult bases are gone.

If you don't go that route, it's possible to remove things from the kit deck that are no longer needed, but may not give you the desired results. And lastly - keep a build log over on the Picture Post/Works In Progress forum so we can see your progress!

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late 1940 1:200
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
Finished:
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:31 pm 

Hank thank you very much for the details. One question though, how do I cover up the catapult mount on the Missouri. you can email me if you want.
thanks
Robert

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:21 pm 

Just remove the base and plank over the spot

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016225.jpg

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016237.jpg

James

Report this post