The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 am 

Wondering how many DKM raiders has been produced in plastic, the only one I know is the Aurora Atlantis,those ships are really cool.

3.- Don't build it

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am 

I'm afraid you are right, the 'Atlantis' seems to be the only one that made it into plastic kit form....

The problem is that, apart from the names and the stories, these ships hardly differ from ordinary merchant ships, at least at first sight. And not particular noticeables either - that was part of the whole idea! By being unconspicuous they could creep up to an adversary and play their harmful role.

But that same characteristic makes them unnoticeable as model subject, unless you make a very sensational diorama of a sea battle. I think also Aurora had trouble selling sufficient numbers of this kit to justify the investment.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm 

I am not particularly interested in raiders but if there were some merchant ship kits available in plastic in 1/350 and 1/700 then Q ships sand raiders could be done too. I suspect that manufacturers don't see potential sales in unarmed ships or lightly armed auxiliaries but I have a Hasegawa 1/350 Heian Maru which I bought because it is such a novelty!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:50 pm 
I'd buy a raider or any merchant ship. I'd buy Altmark or another of the raiders' supply ships. There are Trumpeter's Liberty ships and several IJN tankers and supply vessels. I see no reason to suppose they couldn't sell a Hilfskreuzer or an AMC or a MACship. Or SS Ohio. But then I'm perverse enough not to build any capital warships any more.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
I think also Aurora had trouble selling sufficient numbers of this kit to justify the investment.

Very interesting Maarten, but the Aurora was issued in the 50's ,now I see much more possibilities for such intriguing warships,being wolves in sheep skin, I would love to build a couple of them,but only wish that they will come in 1/350 scale . If Trumpeter is selling Liberty Ships ,I bet somebody can offer a good 1/350 Penguin,Thor,Komet etc

3.- Don't build it

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:13 pm 

About the same age as the Aurora kit there's also Lindberg's "Q-Ship" in 1/390 scale, which depending upon how much time, money, and effort you want to put into it, could serve as the basis for a nice model in the end.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:11 pm 

Lindberg kits were the worst kits I ever bought, I'm done with them.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:38 am 

Miguel wrote:
Very interesting Maarten, but the Aurora was issued in the 50's, now I see much more possibilities for such intriguing warships,being wolves in sheep skin, I would love to build a couple of them,but only wish that they will come in 1/350 scale . If Trumpeter is selling Liberty Ships ,I bet somebody can offer a good 1/350 Penguin,Thor,Komet etc

I fully agree with this! But then let's start with the Revell merchant/military ships from the fifties in 1/350, like the Victory (Montrose), the T2 tanker (Esso Glasgow), the C3 freighter (Hawaiian Pilot/Burleigh) and C4 (Haven) models. All in 1/350 would be super, wouldn't it?

But then some prolific raiders would be quite welcome too, like the German Kormoran for instance. But as I noted, to make an interesting model out of these you will have to display them 'in action'. Otherwise these are plain merchant ships to the 'uneducated beholder', and not very special ones in particular.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:08 pm 

Guba wrote:
Lindberg kits were the worst kits I ever bought, I'm done with them.

Pretty much agree with you, that's why I qualified my comment with "how much time, money, and effort..." It can be a test of one's imagination and scratchbuilding skills. Some of Lindberg's kits I think are fairly decent, the ones I think that were originally Lifelike or Pyro molds in more or less standard scales, so generic aftermarket p/e and other stuff can be used on them nowadays. The advent of 3D modeling can also help in upgrading and detailing some of their line, such as the odd-scale 1/125 minesweeper, which I look forward to working on. Of course, this will mean l lot of time in the shipyard, it's as I said, it depends on how much time, money, and effort one wants to put into his hobby, obsession, delusion, mania... :wink_3.gif

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:47 pm 
I thought the Q ship model was okay when I built it as a kid. I didn't have any problems with fit. However, I don't think it was a model of a specific ship.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 pm 

gms wrote:
I thought the Q ship model was okay when I built it as a kid. I didn't have any problems with fit. However, I don't think it was a model of a specific ship.

Oh, no doubt about that (that can even be said of some of Lindberg's kits the purported to be specific vessels!), but it can serve as a basis for having some fun by letting your imagination run loose, testing (or adding) to your skills. Gary Gobel had some here http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 pm 
I was lucky enough to get my hands on an NNT+Buch 1/700 scale resin HSK 08 Kormoran...as stated previously they're basically run-of-the-mill merchant ships - until the bow and stern guns and torpedo tube positions are revealed. The NNT model is beautifully cast in light gray resin with very few flaws. Unfortunately, the fore and aft gun positions are not open, and if one wants to model it "in action" he'll have to open these areas up. The gun "windows" are about 7/16" x 1/8" - what would be the best way to open these up? I know: carefully...but I want to avoid fracturing the resin or damaging collateral areas. Any suggestions? TIA

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:22 am 

Try drilling a series of holes with a pin vise to open the gun port. Make the holes fairly close together, then join them with a sharp blade. Finish with a flat file to square off the opening.
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:41 am 

I know we're deviating slightly from the PLASTIC topic, but HP models made most of the german raiders in resin (1/700).

Here's a few pics of my model of WSW's 'Kormoran' together with a scratch built freighter.

It looks pretty menacing with only the torpedo tubes and deck gun visible

Jim S

Attachments:
File comment: Kormoran (as Kinka Maru) & Mareeba - Bay of Bengal
25 June 1941

P4060620.jpg
P4060620.jpg [ 76.52 KiB | Viewed 41 times ]
File comment: Kormoran (as Kinka Maru) & Mareeba - Bay of Bengal 25 June 1941
P4060619.jpg
P4060619.jpg [ 78.21 KiB | Viewed 41 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 am 

Jim Smith wrote:
I know we're deviating slightly from the PLASTIC topic

It's ok Jim ,no problem and your little dio is amazing ,thanks for showing it :thumbs_up_1:

And since I became a masochist :wacko: ,just ordered the Iron Shipwrights 1/350 Atlantis, so Plastic is no longer a requisite . :big_grin:

Still I wish any 1/350 PLASTIC raider became available soon :roll_eyes:

3.- Don't build it

Report this post