The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:27 am 

Can anyone help me find more information about how the three telegraph devices with the handwheels would be used?

The pics are of the bridges of Mikasa which has two screws.

The forward telegraph is marked Ahead and Astern

They are all marked with 'One revolution for each order' and they all have 7 positions on their indicators on the top.

I assume all 3 are engine order telegraphs. How would these 3 telegraphs be used in conjunction.

A link, a book to read or some magic words to type in google would be much appreciated, thank you :thumbs_up_1:

Last edited by ArthurG on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 am 

They look like Chadburn Engine Order Telegraphs, of which a number of different styles were produced.
On a 2 screw ship there would be 2 telegraphs for port and starboard engines, with 9 windows.
In your attachments it can be seen that the 2 engine revolution telegraphs are missing the astern/ahead windows, so I would guess that the 3rd telegraph is for that order.

Attachments:
EOT.jpg
EOT.jpg [ 71.88 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]
QM Bridge.jpg
QM Bridge.jpg [ 214.47 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 pm 

I just happened to stumble over a similar arrangement of three telegraphs for a two-screw steamer in a different context and it occurred to me, whether a single telegraph was used for normal steaming, while the two separate ones were used for manoeuvering in confined spaces ...

Chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:27 am 

Thank you very much for your replies.

The name 'chadburns' has helped with my google searching immensely.

I had always wondered how these ships managed station keeping when in line of battle, the slow, half and full on the telegraphs didn't seem up to the job (Mikasa order telegraph only has 7 windows so I assume no dead slow).

I believe the two that don't have Ahead/Astern, just increase/decrease are chadburns engine order revolutions telegraphs, one for each screw and they enable the revolutions of each screw to be adjusted up or down.

https://www.trinitymarine.co.uk/shop/a-chadburns-engine-order-revolutions-telegraph/

That being the case, can I conclude that the Mikasa would never have been able to have one screw going astern whilst the other is going ahead?

Thanks again

Report this post