The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 221  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm 

Fivi_1241 wrote:
pascalemod wrote:
Still, the logic of building WW1 stuff in WL and WW2 - in Full hull. I dont get it... Is it that the Jutland people all table top play them and dont build them out and WW2 people want more? I dont get FH logic at all in offering Jutland ships in WL only and everything else in FH. :D

I think it's all about cost effectiveness. Flyhawk guys do realise that WW2 ships are much more popular than WW1 subjects, so they are able to invest more time and resources into a WW2 ship. I can imagine that a lower hull increases development costs significantly - that's at least one big chunk of plastic to be slide-molded, plus one additional sprue with screws, display stand etc. Apparently they did a simple math and figured that it is feasible to make WW2 full-hulls, but not WW1 ones. Look what happened with full hull Derfflinger and Lutzow released by Snowman Models - they don't seem to be selling very well.

I bet the only change we can expect is that Flyhawk will stop releasing full-hulls entirely, like Trumpeter did a while ago.

That is a shame. In my opinion (other folks may have different ideas), but the underwater section of many WWI ships from all nations is where half the character of that era's ships comes from. Seeing the older ram bows (like HMS Lord Nelson) and the very different way the Germans (like SMS Derfflinger) did their bows is most appealing. Personally, I wish they would have a rethink.

Ray

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:08 pm 
I think Flyhawk and others should offer the full hull as a separate add on like PE detail kits then those who want them could buy them and those who don't won't have to spend extra money on parts they toss in the trash.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:38 am 

Chargerman wrote:
I think Flyhawk and others should offer the full hull as a separate add on like PE detail kits then those who want them could buy them and those who don't won't have to spend extra money on parts they toss in the trash.

+100 on that.

Just the option. Extra cost for extra lower hull, lower cost for the kit at WL, would be very nice.

But my gut feeling is they just keep price same (so they dont raise the price) and yet omit the lower hull to save money on tooling and plastic etc, and protect their margin. So I do think the lower hull might be only the adventure of the very enthusiastic people down the road.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:21 pm 

Re: Flyhawk Iron Duke....

I emailed Flyhawk and asked if they are going to release a "basic" version of the kit.

I received a reply almost immediately! They have NO plans to do so.

So it's deluxe version or "set" version. Take your pick!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:32 am 

PaulC wrote:

I emailed Flyhawk and asked if they are going to release a "basic" version of the kit.

Their HMS Formidable kit also released with the "deluxe" and "set" version so I suspect that they're permanently moving away from "basic" edition kits.
Perhaps sales for the basic kits were too low to justify producing them? This could make sense given that Flyhawk seems more popular among more experienced modellers for which PE details are a necessity. Otherwise the decision seems very unusual.

Would also be nice if Flyhawk included proper display stands for more of their full hull kits.... :(

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:15 pm 

brocken1sm wrote:
PaulC wrote:

Their HMS Formidable kit also released with the "deluxe" and "set" version so I suspect that they're permanently moving away from "basic" edition kits.
Perhaps sales for the basic kits were too low to justify producing them? This could make sense given that Flyhawk seems more popular among more experienced modellers for which PE details are a necessity. Otherwise the decision seems very unusual.

Would also be nice if Flyhawk included proper display stands for more of their full hull kits.... :(

I am still waiting for a Model Maker to produce a kit Designed Explicitly for PE.

Where the PE is created with registration-holes and markings, or “Tbs/Posts” that inset into a “Slot/Hole” on the model.

Doing this for Ships’ railings would be trivial, using any number of Methods.

I got the feeling that Fivestar Models might do this for some future Resin Ships when I last got an email from Yi Zudong from Fivestar Models, and asked him about why he hadn’t done something like that to make the addition of PE easier on the smaller ships. He responded by saying that it hadn’t occurred to him, given that PE tends to be used predominantly on Plastic Models, and thus he didn’t realize that in creating the CAD Models of the Hulls or other parts of a Ship, that he could design them and the PE as a unit, where the PE would sit more firmly, and align more exactly.

I hope that he follows through on that.

Of course I also hope that he follows through on making turned-brass tripod masts for IJN Destroyers, like those in the recent Pit-Road Kagerō, where the PE and turned-brass masts were both designed to connect more firmly with each other.

Come to think of it… Even Cruisers and BBs would benefit from that.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:37 pm 
Hi Matthew, I’m waiting for this same thing too
Rick

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:41 pm 

Latest announcement for future release by Trumpeter is a 1/350th KM H class Battleship:

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.ph ... d=248&l=en

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:55 pm 

FrancisMcN wrote:
Latest announcement for future release by Trumpeter is a 1/350th KM H class Battleship:

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.ph ... d=248&l=en

I'm so very excited for this, it will go wonderfully with my Montana and Yamato. Maybe we will even get a Sovetskii Soyuz someday.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:12 pm 

Re: kits specifically designed for PE

I don't own the kit (wish I did though), but from what I have seen online the Pontos Yamato fits this description. The hull is designed such that the supplied wooden deck sits flush with the sides of the hull, and there are location holes for installing the "ribs" around the funnels, as well as for some of the rails around the turrets.
Would be nice to see Flyhawk doing this too.

The Trumpeter H class kit seems like a copy of Grosser Kurfurst from WoWS. I presumed that ship to be a largely fictional design but maybe I was wrong?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:48 pm 

brocken1sm wrote:
Re: kits specifically designed for PE

I don't own the kit (wish I did though), but from what I have seen online the Pontos Yamato fits this description. The hull is designed such that the supplied wooden deck sits flush with the sides of the hull, and there are location holes for installing the "ribs" around the funnels, as well as for some of the rails around the turrets.
Would be nice to see Flyhawk doing this too.

The Trumpeter H class kit seems like a copy of Grosser Kurfurst from WoWS. I presumed that ship to be a largely fictional design but maybe I was wrong?

I'm assuming its the H-39 Klasse which was actually designed but never built.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:58 am 
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks

The artwork appears to show triple turrets. In none of the iterations of the H class did it ever have triple turrets that I am aware of. The World of Warships game does have an H class type battleship that has triple turrets - purely fictional. That is what this appears to be.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:44 am 

Interesting to see ships exclusive to WoWS entering the plastic model scene (although ChuanYu/3DWild have been producing some in resin for a while now).
Having played WoWS myself it would be cool to see a couple more such kits being introduced (maybe some in 1/700??), but I don't think they should take priority over kits depicting real-world subjects.

As William stated, the triple turrets seen in the boxart never existed in any of the H-class designs and are purely fictional. I also identified an aircraft catapult between the rear turrets which is present in the ingame model of Grosser Kurfurst.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:51 am 

rdh wrote:
The artwork appears to show triple turrets. In none of the iterations of the H class did it ever have triple turrets that I am aware of. The World of Warships game does have an H class type battleship that has triple turrets - purely fictional. That is what this appears to be.

Hey, golden opportunity for the 3-D printing aftermarket folks to create turrets (and maybe barbettes, if warranted?) to build an "accurate" H-klasse?

(And yes, I too long for one of these out-of-nowhere Trumpeter announcements to be something I'm more interested in. Come on, 1:350 Connecticut-class 1908... Almost everyone else's ultimate pre-dreads are covered...)

- Sean F.

Last edited by SeanF on Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:21 am 

Designs for vessels that were never built are, for me, just an interesting sideline (profuse apologies to those who are fascinated by them).

However, one model I would love to see produced (and would certainly buy) would have been the possible re-construction of HMS Hood along the lines of HMS Renown, either immediately pre-WWII, or after the battle of Denmark Straight had she survived.

The Renown re-build was aesthetically very pleasing and I can only salivate at the thought of how beautiful the 'Mighty Hood' would have looked.

DaveW

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:44 am 

DaveW. wrote:
Designs for vessels that were never built are, for me, just an interesting sideline (profuse apologies to those who are fascinated by them).

However, one model I would love to see produced (and would certainly buy) would have been the possible re-construction of HMS Hood along the lines of HMS Renown, either immediately pre-WWII, or after the battle of Denmark Straight had she survived.

The Renown re-build was aesthetically very pleasing and I can only salivate at the thought of how beautiful the 'Mighty Hood' would have looked.

DaveW

I would be overjoyed to see a rendition of a modernised Hood.

While we are on this topic has there been any recent news regarding Joy Yard's 1/700 IJN battleship line? Only info about it seems to be a couple of sprue shots.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:16 pm 

DaveW[/quote]

I would be overjoyed to see a rendition of a modernised Hood.
[/quote]

In that case, might I suggest Drachinifels video on how that might have been? Search for Drachinifel and Hood on YouTube, and it'll show up

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:02 pm 

Quote:

In that case, might I suggest Drachinifels video on how that might have been? Search for Drachinifel and Hood on YouTube, and it'll show up

I must be in minority but didnt find that Hood (or its rendering) to look good - for one, it seems to sit too high up in the water. Although it really looks like a thorough effort, I do prefer the one where they change it to resemble Renown more (not Vanguard).

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:40 am 

I've seen the Drachinifel video (he does loads of videos of warships and most are very interesting), but I'd really like to have a Hood rebuild model 'in the flesh' (or rather, plastic), rather than enjoying a computer screen simulation.
However, I'm just greedy, but I really do hope such a project would be viable for manufacturers to produce.

I also prefer the Renown style appearance for the rebuild, rather than that of Vanguard, much as I love the latter vessel. Renown was a beautiful creation in her final guise and would seem to be somehow more fitting for the Hood, given their ancestry.

DaveW

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:58 pm 

Speaking of Drach I listen to his Drydock's Questions & Answers while I work away on my models.
I've been a fan of his for 3 years going.

Clair

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 221  Next