The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 pm 

pgollin wrote:

According to a Chinese internet site the two versions of the Flyhawk 1/700th HMS Prince of Wales have been released.

They've popped up on US eBay today; offered by a couple of well-established sellers in China.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 pm 

rdh wrote:
As the guy who made that old Albatross kit way back when, I also think the new Snowman offering is excellent. I got mine a few days ago. 2 in the box - an excellent deal.

Any indication of the low freeboard commented on by others (here or over on SN)?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:18 am 
NNT Modell
NNT Modell

Quote:

According to a Chinese internet site the two versions of the Flyhawk 1/700th HMS Prince of Wales have been released.

They've popped up on US eBay today; offered by a couple of well-established sellers in China.

Answer to my question given from Flyhawk on December 7:
"Dear Ralf, this kit will be available at the middle of this month and be sent next week maybe."
So this is the usual pre-order offer to catch money early.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm 

rdh wrote:
As the guy who made that old Albatross kit way back when, I also think the new Snowman offering is excellent. I got mine a few days ago. 2 in the box - an excellent deal.

Answering my own question about the freeboard, the hull it certainly too shallow. No waterline plate is included but is needed. A recommendation for thickness of a plate to correct this problem is needed. The painting guide drawing, while not quite the same scale as the kit appears to represent the hull correctly. As a possible explanation, the kit is designed for a full hull so the needed freeboard was probably built into the separate, lower hull which is not included with the kit. The props, shafts and rudders are all included with the waterline hull on the same sprue. Other than the freeboard problem, this is an extraordinary kit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:40 pm 

Steve,

You can almost make the plate as thick as you want. The freeboard was dependent on the load of the ship. Fully loaded, fuel and ammunition you will only see a small amount of the boottop. Light load you could possibly see some red lead. The light load condition would most likely not be the case at sea, the ships were kept fueled to improve stability and insure they had enough fuel for combat operations.

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:53 pm 

William Smallshaw wrote:
Steve,

You can almost make the plate as thick as you want. The freeboard was dependent on the load of the ship. Fully loaded, fuel and ammunition you will only see a small amount of the boottop. Light load you could possibly see some red lead. The light load condition would most likely not be the case at sea, the ships were kept fueled to improve stability and insure they had enough fuel for combat operations.

Bill

The kit looks great, but there's no excuse for the low freeboard. That falls into the category of "inaccurate hull" for a waterline build that other manufacturers get rightfully criticized for. Many of us only build waterline in 1/700, so for the waterline builders this qualifies as a screw up. It's fixable with sheet styrene, but it's very obviously split to make it look sitting way too low in the water. Hopefully they'll include a waterline plate at some point. Hopefully they'll release a FRAM version.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:21 am 

I just ordered a PoW 1/700 from Flyhawk and it is marked end of Jan for arrival. I will build it as Battle of Denmark Strait version - no camouflage shananigans for me and will compliment my Hood and Bismarck full hulls. That leaves a Prinz Eugen I suppose to buid up a nice quad setup.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:40 pm 
Good to see another 1/350 Scharnhorst AND her sister Gneisenau coming -

Scharnhorst kit no 05361
Gneisenau kit no 05360

Page 70.

https://www.facebook.com/TrumpeterModel ... =3&theater

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:42 am 

The PoW from Flyhawk arrived. I only looked through the sprues and it is wonderful kit. It is way ahead of everything I looked at in 1/700 full hull scale. No flash, hull lines up perfectly, deck sits in nicely. Cant compare to Trumpeter. I also have the delux edition with PE, which looks good, and gun barrels and so on. It even includes a weight for the waterline version. Instructions look good. Cant wait to build this ship! 10/10.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:45 am 

January 2018 ...not the best month of Trumpeter/HobbyBoss news for warship modelers

Only Trumpeter, in a for sure "I don't want to screw up another lower hull"
1/700 scale USS Enterprise CV 6

3.- Don't build it

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:36 pm 

Something semi aquatic from modelcollect: https://toylandhobbymodelingmagazinepublishing.wordpress.com/2017/12/29/ua72148-austratt-fort-coastal-artillery-site-triple-28cm-turret-casesar-on-the-way/
its Gneisenau's turret mounted as a shore battery in 1/72.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:50 pm 

Miguel wrote:

I will be very interested to see comments/reviews comparing this and the recent Academy release.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:11 pm 

Miguel wrote:
January 2018 ...not the best month of Trumpeter/HobbyBoss news for warship modelers

Only Trumpeter, in a for sure "I don't want to screw up another lower hull"

Get a Toms Modelworks corrected Hornet hull! :heh:

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 am 

Billy wrote:

This will be HUGE! The kit includes two twin FlaK 40's (128mm AA guns), as well as the Gneienau's turret. Hmmm...three of these kits and you could scratch-build the rest of the ship! :big_grin:

:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:09 pm 

HobbyBoss' Facebook page has included the 1/350 USS Hawaii CB-3 in their January 2018 Release Preview

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:11 am 

Pit-Road announced in 1/350

the new Japanese destroyer Asahi (DD-119)

Is also a 1/700 kit of this new class announced?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:38 am 

rotley wrote:
HobbyBoss' Facebook page has included the 1/350 USS Hawaii CB-3 in their January 2018 Release Preview

The worst of both worlds ( "neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red meat" ).

A model of a ship that was never finished and not in its proposed missile conversion state.

Still, it will sell some more and help the company make a bit more money (and hopefully profit).

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 am 

pgollin wrote:
rotley wrote:

The worst of both worlds ( "neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red meat" ).

A model of a ship that was never finished and not in its proposed missile conversion state.

Still, it will sell some more and help the company make a bit more money (and hopefully profit).

Not really surprising that they would come out with another never-completed ship, considering they released a kit of the German carrier Graf Zeppelin AND her sister ship.

Still, if they did come out with a kit of the 4th Alaska class battlecruiser or CB-4, USS Philippines, I would buy it.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm 

maxim wrote:
Pit-Road announced in 1/350

the new Japanese destroyer Asahi (DD-119)

Is also a 1/700 kit of this new class announced?

Asahi is a resin kit in 1/350. Preordered mine many months ago and looking forward to it!

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:12 pm 

Heavy Melder wrote:
Asahi is a resin kit in 1/350. Preordered mine many months ago and looking forward to it!

Yes indeed ,I have her half sister Akizuki DDG115 and is a real beauty,a bit pricey ,but it is worth of the money.The actual brand is Arts Technic"s ,but it is commercialized by Pit Road

Attachments:
D116-005.jpg
D116-005.jpg [ 68.44 KiB | Viewed 2444 times ]

3.- Don't build it
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 220  Next