The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:55 am 

Just thought I'd announce it here. I'm in the process of documenting my build of the Toms Modelworks 1/700 Battleship Arkansas 1944 kit along side the Niko Models 1/700 Battleship Florida 1929(currently being shipped to me).

On the Arkansas

Some observations and measurements so far. The turrets are slightly to big. It's not noticeable until you break out the micrometer or encounter the problem with turret 5.

The measurement from the original plans from Bureau of Naval Ordinance indicate a total distance of 32 feet & 6 inches from the maximum radius of the turret to the edge of the slanted front turret armor. The kit turrets are slightly larger, which really would not matter, except a Wyoming class battleship has six turrets. The front no.1 & no.2 have normal firing arcs, however turrets 3,4, are somewhat restricted being that they are amidships. Turret 4 guns have to clear the aft mast when rotating to port or starboard with very little room to spare. Turret 5 and 6 have normal firing arcs.

The problem with having slightly oversized turrets even when the resin wafer is completely removed, comes into play with turret number 5. Being oversized, it sits too far back and therefore interferes with the proper position of the aft tripod mast. You could get away with this though if you wanted to display all guns firing a full broadside.

To make a long story short the turrets material removed to retain a radius acceptable for 1/700 scale (approx 14.187mm).

I didn't expect that, but since the kit has been upgraded from it's original resin cast to now include lots of 3d printed parts, the tolerances must have slightly changed. I mean, I haven't worked on a resin ship since 2003 so this is all new stuff.

TO THE MODS: I WILL HAVE THIS POST MOVED TO THE UNDER CONSTRUCTION SUB FORUM WHEN I GET PICTURES UPLOADED.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:01 am 

just in case you need & don't have.
BB-30 USS Florida Booklet of General Plans (1923) https://archive.org/details/bb30bogp1923
BB-33 USS Arkansas Booklet of General Plans (1944) https://archive.org/details/bb33bogp1944

Report this post