The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:21 am 

This is incredible, and what an amazing reference you've created. Congratulations on this accomplishment. The great ship lives again!

Jodie Peeler

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:11 am 

Congrats on your results, those renderings look great :thumbs_up_1:

Last edited by EJFoeth on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:40 am 

Fabulous work here. I've followed this for several years now and this project has always really inspired me!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:11 am 

Phil,

Since the Oct 2 "FINALLY" posts, we have been waiting and watching and hoping for the "...but just one more little thing..." that might herald a resumption of the project, but a month has gone by and it is starting to look like the project is really, really, really done. Can it be?

It is the core thread of this forum. We are all going to be a little lost without it. Congratulations and thank you again for your brilliant, inspired and relentlessly accurate work! Beginning to end, year after year: the CAD masterpiece. Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:18 pm 

Michael,

I'm not sure it will ever be finally finished. I keep seeing a few more details I could add. There is always the helicopter ...

But for now I am stepping back and starting to plan the build of a 1:96 scale real model.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:33 pm 

Fantastic achievement :D

So.. next step - detail drawings?! Can only be a hundred thousand or so parts to draw up in there.... :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 pm 

I started today to create a fully detailed 2D starboard broadside drawing of the forward superstructure (a 312 Mbyte 3D drawing). The program will save 2D drawings from 3D files, with hidden line removal. I have done some of this before and I knew that the resultant 2D files can be 10x the size of the 3D files - lots of duplicate lines. All those pipes and cables produce bazillions of short line segments. I can also have duplicates removed during the 3D to 2D process, but experience has shown me that this can be a bit too aggressive and necessary lines are also removed.

My normal procedure is to create the 2D file and use it as a template drawing that I trace over on new layers, allowing me to select the lines I want and ignore others. Then, after the trace over is complete I delete the original 2D output from the 3D drawing to reduce file size. It is a lot of work, but I get really good 2D drawings this way.

But ...

I started the 3D to 2D conversion at 1:00 PM this afternoon. It is now just about 7:00 PM, and the program says it is 3% done! At this rate it will take 200 hours (8.3 days) to complete! And this is just one of dozens of 2D drawings I want to make. I'll let it run overnight and see how far it gets.

I may have to do this in many parts, little bits of 2D drawings that I piece together later.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:55 pm 

Well, this is going to take a while. This morning the 2D file was 11% complete - it would take about eight days more to finish!

I aborted and started over. The forward radar tower (only) took just under 12 hours to finish. Considering that I want port, starboard, front and aft views, it will be months before the initial drawings are done.

Phil

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11