The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 pm 

Greetings All! :wave_1:

I have been asked by Pavel, of Admiralty Model Works, to design a model of USCGC Bertholf (WMSL-750) for use in future model kits. I agreed to do it in exchange for him printing my personal 3D parts.
I should perhaps first say that I am by no means an expert in CAD solid modeling, although I have been using AutoCad for several years (since AutoCad 9, that was on several of those old 5-1/2” floppy disks) for doing my site and project layouts in 2D, and am currently using AutoCad Civil3D. The modeling I am doing is not intended to create beautiful, well rendered and textured virtual models, but rather to create models that can be effectively exported to STL files for 3D printing.

The first model I did was a 1/144 scale USS Greenling (SSN-614).

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=125875

Actually, it was (or will be) two models, as I first made one with no details, then later added a lot of detail to make another. The CAD work on both models is complete. The non-detailed version is mostly built, but awaiting printing of a couple of fairings I decided to add to give it at least some detail. The detailed version is waiting for printing as well.

My second (or third) CAD model is a 1/144 scale USS Batfish (SS-310), that I am currently working on.

http://www.subcommittee.com/phpBB3/view ... 35&t=11415

Pavel, upon seeing these build threads, contacted me, and here we are.

So far, I have designed 3 small items for Pavel and AMW, all intended for production at both 1/350 scale and 1/700 scale. The items include:

A Goalkeeper CIWS – viewtopic.php?f=27&t=152674

A Tilly Crane for WW2 Carriers - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=152775

A Moto Tug for WW2 Carriers - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=152798

USCGC Bertholf, a modern Coast Guard cutter, will be my first major undertaking for AMW. It too is being planned for release in both 1/350 and 1/700 scales, and will be designed so that the kit, when released, can be assembled full ship or waterline. Here are a couple of pictures of this attractive ship.

Before I started this project, I was provided a decent (but not great) set of plans and a lot of excellent pictures. The plans did include a good sheet of “Hull Line Plans”, so that is where I began.
If you haven’t seen hull line plans before they typically show cross sections at various “frames” along the hull. Sections for the forward half of the ship are on one side and sections for the aft half of the ship are on the other side. In the image below, I have traced the forward sections, which for the Bertholf plans, is on the right side (this may be typical, I don’t know). I have mirrored the sections to the other side. (Note: All plans were imported and scaled to real size.)

I then connected the individual sections with lines at the top and then combined the three parts of each section into a polyline, which I then moved to the proper location along the hull axis.

I then did the same with the aft half…

…And then lofted the sections together.

For the most part it looks pretty good, but for the first cut, I was a little delinquent in using guidelines, which improve the accuracy of the loft, but take longer to do. The aft and mid-sections looked good, but not parts of the forward section. I would fix that later, but first I did the bow, which was not included in the frame sections. Instead, I had to use another section of the plan sheet, where the “Waterlines” are shown.

The image below shows the tracings of the bow section. Note that due to symmetry, the waterlines are only shown for half of the ship, so like I did with the sections, I traced the waterlines, mirrored them, joined the ends and turned them into polylines.

I then changed the elevation of each waterline as specified on the plans and lofted them, this time using guidelines to improve the quality of the loft.

Because of the way the plans are laid out, I had to rotate the bow section…

…Before moving it into the proper position.

After that, I fixed the issues with the hull, adding the guidelines I neglected the first time.

Being satisfied with the hull, I moved top side, using the Outboard Profile plan sheet to trace the major structures, and stern cut out section on the ship, then copied them to the model. (Note the horizontal and vertical reference lines.)

Because the copied sections were in the middle of the ship, I had to move them outboard before I could extrude them.

I started by extruding the stern cut out…

…And subtracting it.

Next I extruded the shapes that spanned the width of the ship, including the curved parts at the bottom of the structures.

You may have noticed the blue angled lines at the aft end of the ship. These lines are parallel and even with the face on the hull. I next extruded the line on the starboard side…

…And used it to slice off the unwanted parts of the lofted shapes. (In hindsight, I could have done this using the line, without extruding it to create a surface.)

I then did the same for the port side.

Note that even though I recolored everything gray, the pieces have not been joined. This is especially important for the curved sections at the bottom of the structures, which do not extend the width of the ship, but only extend as wide as the bulwarks are, so I will need to slice them later.

I hope you enjoyed this post, and I will continue posting my progress as I go. If at any point you see something wrong, please don’t hesitate to point it out to me. The main reason I post my builds (on AutoCAD, or for real) is to get feedback from people more knowledgeable than myself.

CHEERS!!!

In Progress:
1/350 USS Bennington (CV-20)
1/144 USS Greenling (SSN-614) - ACAD/3D Printing
1/144 USS Batfish (SS-310) - ACAD/3D Printing

Last edited by Rdutnell on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 pm 

Update 1

Good Evening Everybody!

With the side views of the main structures completed, I shifted to the plan view, first doing the Pilot House seen on the right in the image below.

Other traced sections used are shown below.

The plans that I am tracing are off to the side of the model. After tracing a section, I connect it to a reference point (seen by the lines on the right of the components) so the section can easily be copied to the correct location on the model.

The images below show the Pilot House tracings after they have been copied to the model…

…And lofted.

Next I copied the Dog House tracing from the plans to the model, and also copied the section traced from the side view to the proper location.

Then copied the next section up to the model…

I then added the Inclined Mast segments, and lofted everything.

Next I added the Exhaust pipe and 2 platforms I had missed.

Moving up the mast, I continued copying objects, including the lower yard arm from the sections to the model…

…And lofting between sections.

Note that the yellow sections of the inclined mast aren’t in line. This is the only mistake I have found on the plans (unless I just mis-read them), but they can’t be where they are shown or the masts would have elbows. This process was followed repeatedly, working my way up the mast as seen in the images below.

Even though the mast were pretty straight using the different sections, in the end I deleted the individuals and made each mast one complete loft between the end sections. I think it came out pretty good.

The last major item to add was the stack house. I lofted the sections from the plans and copied the overhang at the Aviation Control Station from the side view plans…

..Exrtruded it…

…And subtracted it.

The lower section was somewhat confusing to me, but doesn’t appear to continue sloping, so for now I just copied the section down and lofted between them. I’m happy with it to this point, but I still have a long way to go.

CHEERS!!!

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:20 am 

Update 2

I thought that today I would try something relatively simple, so I decided to do the anchor and anchor hole (I’ll bet it has a name.)

I started by tracing the plans…

…And copying them to the model.

I then used the project the inner square onto the surface…

…And used this to orient my coordinate system and draw a rectangle parallel with the surface.

In preparation for extruding it, I moved it away from the surface, because I have found that sometimes it won’t extrude if I don’t.

Next I extruded the rectangle into the hull…

…Mirrored it to the other side…

…And subtracted them.

At this point I was planning to use the fillet command to round the edges as shown in the picture. Unfortunately, AutoCad couldn’t fillet them for some reason, so my simple task became not so simple. Instead of simply filleting the edges, I made what amounted to a cast of the shape and subtracted it from the hull.

In the image below, the small rectangle is the cutout area, so I drew circles as shown…

…And connected the tangent points of the circles to form a rectangle that I extruded.

I then lofted between the circles…

…And subtracted them. Note the hull cutout area in yellow.

To get rid of the excess material, I extruded the cut out area (after moving it out), and used the intersect command to get my template.

Next, I moved the template into position…

…And subtracted it.

Since I liked the outcome, I undid the subtract command so that I could mirror the template to the other side of the hull…

…And then subtract the both from the hull.

The actual anchor is next, and it went a lot smoother.

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:59 pm 

This is most interesting . :good_job: The plans I have only show what I need to make the hull that I will be making in 1/48th .Looking forward to more . :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:34 pm 

This is very interesting. It's good to see how you have put this together. I use Blender, which is more a 3D app than a CAD application, and its nice to see how 'the other half lives'.

Thanks for sharing this!

You'll have to show us what the kit looks like when it's all together.

Keep sharing stuff as it is appreciated.

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:32 am 

UPDATE 3

Good Morning Everybody and Happy Father’s Day to all you Dads out there!

Owen and Richard, I am glad you are enjoying the build. Richard, I can’t wait to see your monster when you start it. I hope you plan to post. I’ve never heard of Blender, Owen, but then I can’t say I’m a CAD guru by any means. I had never heard of Rhino until recently. What do you mean that it is more a 3D app than a CAD application?
As for Bertholf, I haven’t gotten a lot done because I was getting the answer to a question that I really needed to know, that is, what level of detail can actually be printed. I have done a lot of detailing on three ships and multiple accessories without any idea what the limitations were and how different features that I have been creating would actually print?
I recently received some parts for my 1/144 scale Greenling I had printed by Click2Detail. The results are really encouraging, as you can see below.

I haven’t gotten a lot done, but I do have some things to report, including the anchor I mentioned in my last post.
I started as before by tracing the anchor from the plans…

…And copying it to the model.

In the picture it isn’t straight, so I rotated it.

I have no idea what the anchor looks like so I just winged it by lofting some scaled versions of the anchor itself. I’m sure that it doesn’t look anything like that, but it will be mostly hidden anyway…

…As you can see in the image below.

I then copied the anchor to the side and subtracted it from the hull…

…And then copied the anchor back.

I mirrored the anchor to the other side and repeated the process.

Stay tuned for another post…

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:55 am 

UPDATE 4

The next thing I added were the level 2 platforms, starting as usual from a tracing from the plans…

…That I used to create the pilot house platform with lofted rectangles.

I then shelled the rectangle and added a floor.

I then added some girth to the base to give it more support, and prepared to make the other platform.

Last, I extruded the shape down to create the platform.

Both objects were then mirrored to the other side.

After a discussion with Pavel, I think I am going to have to beef up, at least the last platform at the base, and although I don’t show it part way through this exercise, I discovered that the upper portion including the platforms was not aligned with the hull sides and were off by almost 1’ on both sides. So I redid that whole section and then moved the newly created platfoms to match the properly located structure.

CHEERS!!!

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:25 am 

Had the plans enlarged to 1/48 . :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:17 pm 

UPDATE 5

Hi guys!

Cool Richard! Man that’s a BIG MAMA!

More progress today as I did the boat ramp. Here’s the scoop…
Starting with the Boat Ramp Detail, I traced the outline for the aft most section. (Actually the plans say “NTS”, not to scale, so I measured it out using the dimensions provided but it appeared to be on scale to me).

On the Hull plans I traced the ramp profile and copied the aft cross-section to the model.

Feeling good about the first section and seeing in my mind’s eye what it is supposed to look like, I traced the rest of the sections…

…Copied them to their respective positions on the model…

…And rotated them 90 degrees. Note the view is rotated and with the plan sheet layer on, you can only see half of the ship.

I then lofted the four lines in 3 segments, then joined the segments. Note that in Realistic Visual Style, you can barely see the object created…

…But if I turn the model layer off, you can clearly see the shape…

…That I subtracted from the model.

At this point I switched to the plan view for the Second Deck, and again traced outlines. Note that the plan sheet also provides elevations above the base level (ABL). The blue line is pretty much insignificant in this view, but the purple line is at an elevation of 23’ – 2 5/8” ABL.

Using this elevation and Station 90 as my reference, I copied the section to the plans, as I have done for past objects. It is somewhat difficult to see, bt the purple line was copied to the intersection of the green lines.

This polyline was then lofted up…

…And subtracted from the model.

Next I drew the outlines needed to make the Boat Capture Recess Deck, which is at an elevation of 23’ 2- 5/8” ABL on the outside and slopes down to 21’0 -1/16” on the inside. The upper outline was a rectangle (burgundy) and the lower one a polyline. Both shapes were copied to the model at the proper elevation.

The two objects were then lofted…

…And subtracted from the model.

The last thing I did was trace the outline for the Boat Capture Winch Recess Deck, which is at an elevation of 25’ 2” ABL, copy it to the plans in the manner previously described, lofted it…

…And subtracted it from the model.

I think I’ll try to do the Sliding Transom Door next.

CHEERS!!!

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:58 pm 

Your drawings are helping me alot .The Coast Guard calls the boat ramp the " notch " .You probably know this but they changed the way the door closed because they leaked. This is how the doors close now .Gravity helps seal them .

Last edited by Richard J OMalley on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:23 pm 

I did not know Richard and I was just looking at the old doors when you sent this. You saved me from having to redo it, but the new door looks a bit more complicated to make than the old one. :big_grin:

Thanks for the pic and I'm glad to hear that the plans are helpful.

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:34 pm 

I love your work ! :woo_hoo:
For your fans this is the old style doors

In this photo you can see the gap between the doors that is gone on the first photo showing the new style .

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 am 

Thanks Richard!

Speaking of doors... In the process of doing the doors, I realized that I had totally misread the plans of the ramp. I'm in the process of doing parts of it over. I'll post it when I finish.

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:53 am 

Hey Guys!

I just noticed that some of the links to pictures in my first post were broken so I fixed them. The boat ramp has been redone and I'm playing with the door. I'll post it when I finish.
:wave_1:

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:24 pm 

UPDATE 6

Good Afternoon Everyone! :wave_1:

The adventure continued last night and well into the morning. The next leg of this journey took me to the boat ramp doors, and as usual, I started with the plans, tracing the outline from the profile plan, and copying it to the model.

I then copied the outline over a distance that I determined from pictures.

The lines and extrusion thus far were to help me align it properly. I next sliced off everything but the door itself…

…And mirrored it to the other side.

It was at this point, from looking at pictures, that I had blown my original design of the boat ramp, because I misinterpreted one plan sheet, and overlooked another. Some of it was OK, but I had to change parts of it. One of the areas that was messed up was the Boat Capture Recess Deck. Even as I misread the plans, I was thinking, “Why would it be sloped like that?” The answer, of course, is that it isn’t. I wrongly interpreted that the slope in the plans was cross ship and not longitudinal. To fix it, I traced the recess deck at the level of my current Boat Recess (which was also wrong) and copied it down to the lowest part of my slope…

…Lofted between the polylines, mirrored over to the other side…

…And subtracted them.

Next, I again lofted between the two polylines, and then drew a line (yellow) to represent the slope as provided in the plans…

…And used this line to slice the solids I just created. I perhaps shouldn’t have done this in blue since I had added a water surface in blue. The cool thing about this is where the water is on the inside of the ramp. It matches photos excellently.

As I said, I also missed the boat recess, originally putting it too low. So, I traced the outline at the elevation it is supposed to be…

…Extruded it down to the existing surface, and mirrored it…

…Before joining them both to the model.

Having completed the repairs, I returned to the doors, opting to build them in the modified configuration, as shown in the photo kindly posted by Richard (Thanks Richard!). I started with the support arm for the door, which is an extruded square, that took a bit of effort to position correctly. I should perhaps note that the reason I decided to add the water surface is because the pictures I have don’t show the boat below water level (obviously) and having the defined water surface helped me with perspective and relative dimensions.

The arm as drawn being too long, I sliced off the undesirable parts. Where to slice it on the outboard side was determined from the only photo I have.

I next created the top guide using an extruded rectangle with the top corners filleted.

I then mirrored it for the bottom guide, which was slid in a bit for proper alignment.

As with the arm, they were sliced off using Richard’s pic for reference.

Next, I started on what I assume must be the hydraulic linkage that opens and closes the door. I first extruded a circle for the main shaft, and then used more lofted circles to approximate the fittings on the door side.

I then extruded a rectangle to simulate the attachment bracket. It’s not perfect, but at the scales we are making, 1/700 and 1/350, it should be OK.

Next, I added the fittings and sloped “pipe” that enters the stern, both with extruded circles. Position was once a gain estimated from the photo.

The brackets on the outboard edge of the door were added next, using extruded (cyan) triangles.

At this point I mirrored everything to the other side.

I also got another wild hair and began pondering the idea of having it so that the builder has the option of building the door closed or open, so I slid it up the door up the guides to the open position.

This was really encouraging because the relative position of the arm and guide ends is as I think it should be with the door open. The end of the linkage looked good to. So, the next thing I did was slice the linkage for the open position…

…And move the connection side out to match the open door. Once again the positioning seems spot on.

The image below shows the open position on the port side and the closed position on the starboard side.

At this point I created two new layers, Door-open and Door-closed, and put the doors and their hardware on the respective layers. (The guides remained on the Model layer.) For the time being, I then turned off the closed layer.

Next, I didn’t document it, but I added a male attachment pin to the linkage end and mirrored the open door and linkage to the starboard side…

…And copied it all off to the side, out of the way.

I then subtracted the linkages, with their pins, from t he hull, and the guides from the doors. You can see the female connections in the stern, and the guide tracks in the edge of the port side door.

Looking at the front side with the model layer turned off, you can see the closed door. Note the guide tracks in the top of the doors, and the male connection stubs on the linkage. These studs fit in the same hole on the stern as the studs for the open linkage.

Below is the open door.

I don’t even know if this is feasible at the scales we are dealing with. My biggest concern are the “points” created at the top of the doors when I subtracted the guides. I think this may be troublesome for the 3D printer. Pavel may know a way around this if the idea is at all feasible. In the meantime, I had fun doing it, and both configurations look pretty cool.

LIFE IS GOOD! :woo_hoo:

CHEERS!

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 pm 

Your work on the " Notch " has helped me greatly in visualizeing it's shape . :thumbs_up_1: Now I have to figure out what to include in the plug " master " and what to leave out for the builder to install .

The boat recovery system .Notice the hook at the bow that the rope will slide over .

The first hull will go to a retired USCG Commander who worked on the Berholf project .

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:14 pm 

COOL Richard! Great Pix! :thumbs_up_1:

I like all 3 of them, but the aft end shot is my favorite, because it confirms that I did it more or less right, and provides a good reference when I start adding some of the finer detailing.

I’m happy to hear that my posts are helping you as well. I didn’t realize that you were making a master for a kit. That is awesome, and it is equally awesome that the first hull is going to a USCG Commander who worked on the project. I hope you will post your progress when you really get going on it.

Have you seen the 1/48 scale USCGC Campbell scratch built by Michael Maynard posted in the gallery? I think you will appreciate it.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

He calls it a “once in a life time model.” He helped put her in commission in, and says that the “model was started the day the Campbell was formally commissioned in July 1988.” How cool is that?

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:13 pm 

Richard J OMalley wrote:
Your work on the " Notch " has helped me greatly in visualizeing it's shape...

Not so fast Richard. I noticed a change I need to make. I'm doing it now, but have to leave shortly, so it may be tomorrow before I get it completed and posted.

In Progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 am 

Russel
I am from W.Yarmouth MA . { Cape Cod }.The next time I go home I will have to check out the Campbell model .It looks perfect .Thank you for the link .
I am amazed at your CAD work ! :thumbs_up_1:
Richard :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:27 am 

UPDATE 7

Good Morning All!

Lucky you Richard! I would love to see Campbell in person.

I continued playing (I can’t call it working) on “The Notch” as Richard informed us (or at least me, you guys probably already knew it). For this phase, I am using a few pictures that I have, the one posted by Richard on 6/19/2013, and a few provided to me by Pavel, including these:

I started by laying out the upper track on the port side. I’m pretty sure that the track is parallel to the lower ramp (yellow line), so I drew it as such (blue solid), but “Houston, we have a problem!” The track didn’t line up properly (red line), then I realized why. I had made the ramp a continuous slope to the end, but pictures clearly show that it is sloped, then flat. To fix this, I worked backwards from the slope that the track had to be. I copied the correct slope line down to the forward corner, and drew a horizontal line forward from the aft corner. The intersection is where the transition from sloped to flat has to be.

So I prepared to cut out the unwanted material by creating a polyline that followed the intended surface, and extended well above the existing surface to make sure that it cut properly…

…Extruded it to the rear wall (OK technically port side bulkhead)…

…And subtracted it, producing the desired shape.

I next sliced off the track at the forward bulkhead where it ends…

…And then prepared to make the deck over the Boat Capture System Winch Recess by drawing a rectangle on the port side bulkhead. The height was set to more or less match the track thickness.

This rectangle was then extruded to the starboard side bulkhead.

During this process, I noticed that I didn’t have the forward section of the notch correct either, as pictures appear to show that the slope continues forward to the bulkhead, so I traced the outline, copied it up the slope and lofted it.

I then extruded the top-forward outline up to match the forward flat surface.

This left the aft-outer edges high, so although not shown, I sliced them along the slope. You can see the result in the final image which is in “Conceptual Visual Style.” I had used this before and didn’t like it, but I hit it accidentally, and for this application it lets you better see the details of the Notch. (I really like the way it shows the doors too.)

With this completed, I turned my attention to the bulkheads separating the sections of the winch recess, first dividing the space into thirds. The center section is taller than the outer sections, so I created another rectangle and extruded it into the underside of the deck I previously created…

…And subtracted it.

A more detailed look at the pictures reveals that the center opening, may be an opening but has a cover over it, which I will add back at some point in the future, but not in this post. The bulkheads separating the sections were added next using extruded rectangles. These bulkheads are large enough to print but in hindsight, I don’t think that they would be durable. Fortunately, since I will be enclosing the center section, this won’t be a problem.

Returning to the boat retrieval mechanism, I added the lower track, using an extruded circle, and then started on the actual boat capturer thingy ( :smallsmile: or whatever it is called), using a lofted rectangle with rounded edges to make the bit that attaches it to the upper track. Note that I also rounded the edges of the top track to match photos.

I should perhaps mention that I considered designing the retrieval system so that it would be moveable but the scale is too small to allow for this, as the walls of this top piece would be too thin, without seriously over sizing it. I do have a “cunning plan” though, but more on that later. The image below shows the top of the frame, which is also an extruded rectangle with rounded edges.

The rest of the frame was made, yet again using extruded rectangles with rounded edges.

Next I added the round sleeve for the lower track…

…And started on the central body by drawing an oblong 4 sided polygon and extruding it.

This extruded object was then sliced and had the mid-section removed from it to hollow it out.

I next added the nuts and bolts. I initially used pictures showing the flat forward side to make this hardware, using two extruded larger hexagons, a smaller extruded hexagon and a small still extruded circle. I copied the nuts/bolt assembly twice, then mirrored them to the aft side and repositioned them.

The bolt shafts through the interior were added next with extruded circles, and a hole cut through the bottom for the drive cable to pass through.

I next added the support flanges on top, which are extruded triangles.

At this point I got on a roll and was somewhat remiss about documenting my progress. In the image below you can see that the aft bolts have been modified to better match photographs, a padeye, for attaching the drive cable has been added to the sloped aft side, and 3 padeyes have been attached to the inboard side.

I wasn’t finished adding padeyes though, as there are several on the inner face of the forward part of the frame. Note that these don’t exactly match the pictures, which appear to have plates as well as padeyes. Also, the forward drive cable attachment point isn’t quite right, but the pictures I have don’t show it very well, so I just used another padeye.

The last thing that I have done to this point is to mirror everything to the starboard side. The image below shows the Notch in its current state.

It won’t be in this state for long though, because I’m going back at it next.

CHEERS!!!
:wave_1:

In Progress:

Report this post