The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:41 pm 

I have been lurking around this part of the forums watching all of the 3d modeling and have been learning how to use Silo over the years and decided to try my hand at solid modeling. Autodesk came out with 123d design and I figured it was worth a try cause it was free. I have complete most of the ones I have been wanting. There are still 2 or 3 that I need to do to finish off the deck vehicles, a large and small fork lift come to mind and a really obscure crane that was on the midways and essex's in the late 40s early fifites. don't know how well these would print out seeing how small they are.

Attachments:
deck vehicles.jpg
deck vehicles.jpg [ 112.21 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:48 pm 

Also modeled the island of the Midway in 1957 (and 1952) figured I'd include it for scale.

Attachments:
1957.jpg
1957.jpg [ 130.06 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 pm 

Looks pretty neat, where did you get your original source dimensions?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:51 pm 

Well that is what took a really long time.
The tilly crane I had as a 1/350 model so that was just a matter of measuring and converting and adding detail. BTW I have redone all of them in 1/350 with a lot more detail. The Oshkosh was really hard. What finally sealed it was finding an auction site with a 1970 version with a straight side shot and they listed the wheelbase. It was just a matter of measuring the photo and then doing some PS edits to get the version I wanted. Also had a 1/350 model that was out of scale but was ok for reference. I also found a forum post of a guy who made is own PE to build one. I had known measurements and used his photo of the PE to get proportions. The payloader was the hardest. I had to use 2 different photo references. One had the deck plank with in the correct orientation. So I had a known width....measure and convert. The clarktor was the easiest. I found a forum article of a guy who built a paper model of it and posted the manual plan and his CAD drawing. So I measured and converted.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:03 pm 

"Elementary, my dear Watson!" :thumbs_up_1: Resourcefulness, determination, back to the basics, and a touch of luck did the trick, things to keep in mind. How did you get the carrier island, pretty much the same way?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 am 

No, I actually have 2 sets of plans for those (1957 and 1970-80 in 1/200) and and both HP models. I have scratch built both islands by hand (1952 and 1957) and was wanting to try out 3d printing. I have completed the large forklift and just need the small one and the old crane.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:28 am 

Brian,

These are brilliant! Have you considered offering these on shapeways.com? It would be an instant purchase for me in 1/350!

~Greg

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:33 pm 
I ordered a few things at Christmas time from them and was pretty disgusted with the quality so in not sure about offering them there. Hopefully this summer I'll get them investment printed and then possibly cast.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:52 pm 

Finally got these models printed. Tried various shapeways models and used FXD and wasn't happy with the surface quality. I got these done on a perfactory mini. These have fantastic surface detail.

In case anyone is wondering what the odd looking crane is in the middle its a tilly that was on deck in the late 40s-50s. Took a lot of looking but found a post of a guy scratch building one so I used that as a reference and made my own.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:10 pm 

Where were these done? What is a "perfactory mini?"

They do appear to have a nice surface finish - especially since they are 1:700!

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:50 pm 

Lightbeam3d. Perfactory mini's are envisiontec printers.

Report this post