The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:29 pm 

OK, it's not a sea warship, but it's my latest CAD model and first that isn't a naval warship or a train.

From the anime series 'YAMATO 2520', the 17th spaceship to be named YAMATO:

These are 2D drawings taken from the 3D CAD model, which took me four months to complete. The length of the ship is 382 meters.

'YAMATO 2520' was an attempt at a sequel to the popular 'Space Battleship Yamato' series (Star Blazers in the USA), premiering in 1994 but only ran three episodes due to problems at the production company. The 17th Yamato, flagship of the Earth Federation fleet, was destroyed 17 years before the action begins in 2520, and its wreck and last mission serve to help set up the plot as well as provide the design basis for the new 18th Yamato design featured in the series.

I plan to 3D-print a few of them for myself. I've been wanting to make a model of this ship for a few years now, and CAD/3D printing have made it possible.

Mike Bartel

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:20 pm 

Nice to see someone doing a CAD model of Lighthousezen's work.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:52 pm 

Heavy Melder wrote:
Nice to see someone doing a CAD model of Lighthousezen's work.

He did a beautiful CAD model of his own of this ship a few years ago, but he told me his model had a lot of his own interpretation in it. This final product is my own, done from scratch using the original anime and some other sources and assistance, so it's as close to what you see on screen as I can get it. Even so, one of the designers who worked on the series recently told me that my effort is as good as any because of the inconsistency in the scenes. Unlike today, where there is CGI data to work from, there is no CGI from this series, so no two scenes agree completely in details. Everything was hand-drawn and several designers could draw the ships different ways. It was frustrating to confirm details.

Lighthousezen does some really neat and imaginative ship designs. His battleship 'Excelsior' design from Yamato 2520 is interesting. I think he might eventually want to make some 3D models of his own designs for himself, and I hope he does. They would certainly be unique. Modelers in Japan always impress me!

Mike Bartel

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:06 am 

Sorry to necro :deadhorse: this thread, but you really, REALLY need to get some nice ray-traced, photon mapped renders of that thing.

Report this post