The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:09 pm 

Pardon my ignorance here, as I'm new to this forum. I am looking to build a 3D model in 3ds Max of the USS Francis Hammond (DE-1067) on which I served 1970-73. I'm looking to build a fairly simple geometry to be able to put an animation on my blog site at http://dennisclevenger.wordpress.com/ . My idea is to create a model and then pan my virtual camera over it seeing through a transparent skin and highlighting my berthing area (even my bunk, maybe), then maybe a path up to where I worked in CIC on the 01 level and then maybe a path down and aft to the mess decks as well as some other areas.

I am really impressed by all the detailed physical modeling people are doing here and am especially impressed by Kazec's model of the USS Francis Hammond, in particular! Maybe over time my 3D model could have such detail but for now I'm thinking of just general overall shapes and fairly accurate proportions. I've collected several profile and deck drawings of the Knox Class that I can use for templates in 3ds Max, but would like to find some cross-section drawings along her length. If nothing else I suppose I can look at several dry dock photos as well as some of the hull models on this site to approximate the hull shape.

TIA for any leads or help you can give me!

Regards,

Dennis

Vancouver, WA 98686

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:46 pm 

Since your request deals more with the actual ship than 3d modeling, feel free to ask in the main forum as well, which reaches out to more people than just those who work in virtual space. You can also try looking in the appropriate thread in the Calling all Ship Fans section.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:09 am 

It sounds like you're also looking for plans which will have those cross sections. Have you tried The Floating Drydock? If anyone will have it, they will (www.floatingdrydock.com).

Hope this helps,

Bob

Report this post