The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:55 am 

I'll work on the mushroom vent in the meantime. That should crash the PC! I think its the same size as the ones atop the deckhouse, so I'll likely just paste or Boolean that item into the space in between the forward funnel legs and then just run some piping from its center down to deck level to account for the "stalk" or mount holding it up. I'm considering attaching it to the little "plate" at the very bottom of the pipes where they meet the deck in order to create a more stable, solid piece for gluing purposes. It won't be totally canon, as near as I can tell, but it will help the modeler. Shapeways can print down to 0.3mm thickness, so the modeler could always separate or cut that attachment plate out it should he or she desire to. Does that sound logical?

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:34 am 

Okay, here's the latest. The new PC has helped with the nonstop CAD crashes somewhat. The piping has been redone and I think refined and made to more closely match the photos, a small structure added atop the funnel cap (this was done completely by eye as it isn't in the plans so its likely not all that correct), the cap area hollowed out, and the funnel cap bracing strips emplaced. I'll redo the whistles and all tomorrow. A major problem has been having to go back and forth between two different CAD programs. Many times, the file conversion results in lost data. I can see that the funnel brim will need redoing tomorrow, as a result. A layer of it has gone missing!

Thanks for looking,

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:40 am 

Here is one of the little side uptakes or ventilators that I believe feed the engine room boilers, if I'm reading the plans properly. I'm fairly sure the faux rivets won't print int his size, but hey, go big or go home, right? There will be four of these. The recessed rectangles on each fore and aft side were covered in a wire mesh grating on the real thing. I'm going to leave these as slightly recessed areas since wire mesh is obviously not printable in this scale. The thought is that the modeler can drop a small bit of dark paint or a wash in there to give the illusion of depth.

Thank you for looking,

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:23 am 

And, with the funnel and deckhouse. Does the scaling look okay?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:08 am 

I hadn't seen the intakes before, they look great. And yes, if the bolt details don't print, at least you tried!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:33 pm 

This didn't go through the first time, so here goes...

Here's the basic after deckhouse. The JPEG image should print 1 to 1, in 1/350th scale. Do the basic proportions and scaling look alright? I want to make sure the basic shapes are okay before moving on to detailing and surfacing.

Thanks!

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:28 pm 

Some progress...

- Portholes and hatches installed. Russel and Hughes/Sims used different styled hatches, so if I do a Russell she'll get those.
- Tons of rivet details added.
- Splinter shields going up! Hughes/Sims' shields are off center and "inset" from the edge of the deckhouse. Russell's are flush with the edge of the deckhouse. Even prewar, there were subtle yet obvious differences between ships built in different yards.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the 20m ready service lockers?

Thanks for looking,

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:33 am 

http://www.shapeways.com/product/X5CD4E ... d=57112718

and

http://www.shapeways.com/product/9WXCSQ ... d=57114376

The after deckhouses ran into a snag and will need some redoing. The plan is still to offer Sims, Hughes and Russell specific deckhouses for early through late 1942. Sims and Hughes are very similar, just the 20mm spinter screens being moved fore and aft a bit and a different door style being used, while Russel is more different and later in 1942.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:49 am 

Shapeways says the parts are in production. Let's hope they print properly!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:59 pm 

Look what came today!!! I'll prime shortly and then take and post some pics today or tomorrow.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:13 pm 

That is unless Darth Cat has his way with those fine looking toys ... BAT!!! Where did it GO?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:29 pm 

Nah, Emma Kitty is seriously the sweetest "not interested in my models" cat around. You'd really have to try hard to attract her to my modeling stuff. I often sit outside on the balcony modeling and she keeps me company.

Here are the parts with a coat of Tamiya primer on them. In Frosted Extreme Detail, the details really pop! Check out the piping - you can see daylight between and behind them! Even the support legs for the whistle platform printed, although the whistles did not. Those will need to be sourced elsewhere perhaps from N-scale railroad supplies.

Thoughts? What can be improved? Some printing lines are visible, but that's a function of the printing process. I suspect a reasonable coat of Mr. Surfacer will cover a lot of little things like that.

Bob

You can even see the grooving or ribbing on the funnel uptake plates! And, the little funnel "guards" at the very top printed, too! Woo hoo!

Check out the two triangular supports at the end of the deckhouse. You can see through them! The little cutout printed properly!

Rough positioning on a prewar Benson model. I've filled in the deck's deckhouse outlines and the new parts will be glued atop them.

And, someone isn't impressed. Sheesh, talk about hard to please...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:30 pm 

Oh, one thing - I forgot to build in deck camber into the funnel's feet. They're perfectly flat. Should I try to correct this or just leave well enough alone? Would it be noticeable?

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks good, skip the camber, modelers have to putty and fill in the old deck anyway.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:48 am 

Looks great!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:31 pm 

Aw, shucks...

Okay, I'm planning on finishing/redoing the Hughes and Sims specific deckhouses by or over the July 4th weekend. I'm working a summer job so there's less time. Then, I'll order them and check for fidelity. If everything looks good, and the quickie Sims build I'll do with the printed parts looks okay, then I'll turn everything on for ordering.

I suppose I could turn the funnel and midships deckhouse on for ordering for those who want to save on costs and plan on doing their own after deckhouses from the Benson parts. Let me know what you all think.

bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:43 pm 

If you have made up a list of those showing interest in your Sims class parts put me down for at least 1 set and having more Dragon and old Blue Water Navy kit’s then in their right mind should have I can see myself going for a couple.

Roger

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:06 pm 
Outstanding! I am looking forward to them being released. When you decide they are ready for purchase, please list instructions on how to do so.

I too, had thought I'd use the prewar Benson as the base model for modeling a Sims. Are there any recommendations for another Gleaves or Benson ships that would be better for such a conversion?
Thanks,
Rick T

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:46 am 

I'm at work and can't post links to Shapeways, but the funnel and midships deckhouse are up now in, "you can view but not buy," status. I'll activate the links tonight, if you'd like. The work firewall won't let me post direct links, but they're there. Just do a search for "Sims Funnel," for example, and it should come up. Then again, the Shapeways search engine sucks and you might wind up with about 1000 hits and never find them.

I'll post active links by tomorrow at the latest. I have a full work day and an event to go to tonight, but by Friday the funnel evening and deckhouse will be open for sale.

The four little side uptakes are also there and will be activated as soon as the test print arrives. I wanted to include them with the funnel but the file size became obscenely large and Shapeways wouldn't accept it. I'll also post their dimensions so you can scratch them yourself if you want and save some money; they're mostly simple rectangles. The after deckhouse is finally almost ready to upload. The danged CAD program kept crashing last night when I tried removing the railings that are on the model (they look marvelous!) but are too small to print with today's technology. Someday soon, I hope that will change. Imagine not having to deal with photoetched railings!

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:40 pm 

Okay open for ordering:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bobsstar ... Parts+&s=0

The little side uptake package and the after deckhouses are coming, I promise!

Thanks for looking and for everyone's support.

Bob

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next