The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:55 am 

I look forward to their production, Bob. I was extremely pleased with the Sims stack and deckhouse. I am sure these will be great as well.

Now, if you want another 1/350 Fletcher project, the mid-war 40mm gun tubs and superstructures found on either side of the aft stacks would be great. The Tamiya kit doesn't have them, and the Trumpeter kit has a late war version that is rudimentary at best. Just throwing it out there. I know you have lots of ideas to work on, plus limited time.
Rick T

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 am 

Actually, that may happen. I'm currently upscaling one of the after deckhouses and tubs for a gent who would like it for the 1/144th Revell Fletcher, and I'll take a stab at the other tubs and such, as well. Naturally, the detail level in 1/144th will be massive compared to 1/350th (as well as the cost, sadly, but that's Shapeways), but I'm hoping to make it happen.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:06 am 

There are at least four different types/sub-types/styles of the waist 40-mm clipping/radar room (the small room below the mount on the main deck came in at least two designs) and 40-mm mount platform/bulwark. Making them may require several different designs to satisfy the purist if they want an EXACT match for their desired FLETCHER model. This has been a problem for the plastic kit makers when producing FLETCHER kits in all scales.

The USN had to play with the design of the bulwark in 1943 to get to a not quite happy balance between the AA Gun mafia and the Torpedo mafia. :Mad_6:

There are two types seen most often with one type declared the standard used the most often.

PS; I hope you still will be making separate Mk 49 directors for use elsewhere. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 pm 

The Mark 49s are in the same order as the tubs, so don't worry, they're being done! Well, assuming Shapeways prints them right. The set up has them in a package of three. As soon as its confirmed that these actually print properly, I'll lengthen the base to make the slightly taller type fitted on the Bensons that you mentioned earlier.

The 1/144th tubs and deckhouse will be for Heerman, specifically, but I can do others. The gentleman who requested it was able to send me a few photos and I'll be working from them, plus extrapolating the tub shapes from photos of other Bethlehem Fletchers, especially those bookending her in the production line. Plans of the Boyd, another Bethlehem Fletcher are en roue from the FDD so I'm hopeful that I can get reasonably close absent ultra detail photos.I know what you mean about the clipping rooms - lots of shapes there!

The nice thing about 1/144th is that a lot of the details that were sacrificed in 1/350th can hopefully be done in the larger scale. I may have to buy a big Revell Fletcher in order to start sizing and matching parts.

Bob

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:12 pm 

The waist "tubs" installed on HEERMANN was the most common type on Square-Bridge FLETCHERS. It was installed on roughly 55% of all FLETCHERS. It wasn't strictly a "Bethlehem-style". BuShips came to this configuration and directed it to be installed by all builders. Late BIW, Federal, etc had this same tub. Some other Bethlehem-built units didn't use this tub.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:57 pm 

USPS tracking gives a delivery date of Halloween! Then, we shall see how things turned out.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:57 pm 

Well, Shapeways fouled up. The package arrived early. The Mare Island tub and Mark 49s arrived, but the tear drop tub did not. Neither did some Trek stuff I CADded up, although it was all supposed to. I've fired off an email asking about the missing stuff.

In the meantime, the stuff that did arrive is soaking in soapy water and I'll paint and photograph them and post pics by tomorrow.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:55 am 

Argh... Shapeways is replacing the missing tub and Trek stuff, but nothing will ship until a few weeks into November. My apologies for those waiting on the tear drop tub with integrated Mark 49 director. As soon as the test print finally arrives and I can check it for accuracy, I'll open it up for ordering.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:40 pm 

Well, it finally showed up and.... It actually looks pretty good! As soon as its all cleaned up and primed, I'll post some pics and open it up for ordering.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:25 pm 

Any update on the side tubs being available on Shapeways? Also, which fletchers would they be suitable for given there were four types as stated by Rick (or will all four types be available on Shapeways?)? Also, it would be nice to have the heart shaped tub on the fantail for a post Mare Island fitout for USS Fletcher...

Another question, re aptivaboy's Fletcher-class Mare Island D-shaped Gun Tub Ver. 1 on Shapeways.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/2S9JJ2 ... d=58079623

How should the full director MK51 housing be achieved on the Shapeways part to represent the housing as shown below?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:53 pm 

I'm slowly getting to things. I'm currently working on the 1/144th Fletcher stuff, which will wind up being downscaled to 1/350th when done. The forward tubs are nearly done, and the I"ll move on to the waist parts. That pesky real job always seems to get in the way, that and being super sick for the past three weeks, or so.

Regarding the tub, how does this look? The tub looks slightly short to my eye.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:20 pm 

The director tub does look a bit shorter than what shows in the USS Fletcher pic. It also needs to extend down to its base and there is some sort of flange on the outside.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:57 pm 

It looks like the tub does not extend all the way down. If you'll look at this photo, the tub is definitely of a larger diameter than its base.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1024476118 ... 8551943410

Some alterations - let me know how this looks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:47 am 

Yes, I see that now. Here is a closeup from the previous image I posted:

Your updated design looks very similar :thumbs_up_1:

Last edited by pbrowne on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:28 am 

Thanks! The stiffeners are overscale but at 0.3mm, they're as thin as they can be and still print. They're so small, though, that perhaps they could be deleted. Let me know. I may also delete the door outline and just put an opening there so you can use whatever PE door you want more easily. Let me know about that, too, if you please could.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:01 pm 

I assume you mean the stiffeners on the director tub, not the angled stiffeners on the outside of the circular part of the gun tub. I don't think you could see the director tub stiffeners at that size, so you could lose those.

Door openings always good, people who buy Shapeways parts would have the PE anyway. Perhaps a few internal partitions then?

Are you planning to do the heart shaped shield/tub for the 20mm gun emplacement on the fantail, I haven't seen those available anywhere?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:18 am 

Okay, try these... I had a bad computer issue, but I think these will work. The tub looks slightly large to my eyes, and that one pic of Fletcher's D-shaped deckhouse might show the little Mark 51 tub with a flat side to it. I can't quite tell...

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:55 pm 

Its called Windows 10. Friends don't let friends upgrade to Windows 10.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:10 am 

Windows 10 is Windows 8 that has passed through a horse.

Maybe Windows 11 will be a repackaged Windows 7. That would be a great step forward.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:37 am 

"They will have to pry my Windows 7 Laptops from my dead hands." :cool_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next