All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:23 pm 

Bob,
Revell is planing the release for March 2016
Looks like an early war type.

Hermann

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:25 pm 

Interesting. Let's hope it for a short forecastle version. Early war could still mean high forecastle in 1942. Burnett, Loosestrife, and a few others are on my long-term to - build list.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 am 

Revell's blurb says early with long forecastle. Pic of box art. Don't know if this is the final look of the box art as it's a photo of an actual corvette. http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/img ... teller.jpg Snowberry - what a surprise! :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:05 pm 

That's too bad. An early war ship would have been far, far better, as it could have been "added to" to create a later war ship. Having to do the surgery to create a short forecastle ship will be daunting to many modelers.

Here's a closer view of the underside ribbing. Based upon photos of Kidd form Herman, the outboard two girders are lower than the rest to allow for support poles. Now, the plans don't seem to show a fore-aft girder, but its there on the Kidd. Should I include this fore-aft girder or leave it as is?

Thanks, and Happy Turkey Day!!!

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:36 pm 

USS KIDD was modified post-WWII after being recommissioned for the Korean War with hedgehog ASW projectile launchers. The forward twin 40-mm mounts were removed and the "wing" deck extensions were modified with a longer fore-aft structure. So KIDD's structure in this area may or may not reflect what the structure looked like in WWII. See the attached image, it shows USS PICKING after being modified with hedgehog installation. You can see where the 40-mm bulwark and the safety ring under the mount were removed. An extension was added to the aft end of the extension for the reload magazines.

The drawing I provided show that two of the beam extensions were 3x6-in deep and the rest were 2x4-in deep. Finding photos showing the underside of this deck extension during WWII is rare and extremely difficult to do unless doing so from alongside. At the bottom below is a cropped view of CASSIN YOUNG that I took in 2012 while she was in drydock at Charlestown Navy Yard NPS Park in Boston. In this view you can just make out the beam structure underneath the Hedgehog Platform.

Attachments:
zDD793x96red-crop-13Jun2012.jpg
zDD793x96red-crop-13Jun2012.jpg [ 192.96 KiB | Viewed 1846 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:45 pm 

The USS Sullivans at the Buffalo and Erie Military Park in Buffalo, NY, has the hedgehog modifications if anyone wants to visit a Fletcher of this type.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 am 

Bob,

Also, based on the drawing, the two deeper beams SHOULD be moved TWO in towards the middle with one 4-in deep beam between them and the remain beams being 4-in deep as well. That would align the heaviest beams to straddle the location of the twin 40-mm mount foundation. That is one of the reasons that I question how valid the platform for the Post-WWII hedgehog is for determining the location of supports in this area which had a different weight and ejection force requirements on structural strength.

Attachments:
FwdTubSuports.jpg
FwdTubSuports.jpg [ 176.65 KiB | Viewed 1833 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:27 pm 

Thank you, I will get right on that. I've been away in the mountains for Thanksgiving and hadn't checked in since before leaving.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:29 pm 

How is this? I had to redo a few things after a PC crash (thank, Windows 10!). Once you all give your approval, I'll go and port the file over to the other CAD program and add the pipe rails and then I think we'll be done. The design will just need to be mirrored to create the port tub.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:04 pm 

More. The 40mm base has been added to the assembly and corrected for sheer.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:15 pm 

We're close: https://www.shapeways.com/product/CPU43 ... s-assembly

Give me some time. I'll be in Maui for Christmas, but my trust HP tablet can actually run my CAD programs - shocker! I wouldn't have expected that. Anyway, I plan on doing some design work on the plane and at night and checking the interweb. The midships 40 tubs and after heart shaped 20mm tub in two versions are on my list.

I hope everyone has a safe, wondrous Holidays.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:04 am 

Maui was wonderful. I really need to move there! Sadly, back to work.

Currently working on the after heart shaped 20mm tub. I plan on posting an update in a few days. After I see the Star Wars movie again. And again, And....

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:10 am 

Fleshing out the after 20mm tub. As this is for the Heerman, the details will be different for other ships, but this will likely get most folks close enough. Note the blast shield that was added. Once the one side is complete, the design will be mirrored to complete the entire part. The supports are slightly over scale, but any smaller and thinner and they won't be printable. Its a compromise...

Question: does the 1/144th Fletcher have deck camber there that I should eventually compensate for? What about the 1/350th Fletchers? I think I can discern a smidge of camber in my Tamiya Fletcher but not much.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:55 pm 

I'm afraid that if you are intending these for specific model kits, you need to have a sample of each and do a test run of a part to see what is needed to make it fit the deck camber and any other issues unique or common to all of them. I suspect the the Trumpeter (1/350), Tamiya (1/350), and Revell (1/144) kits are all different.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:22 pm 

I'm doing this for the big Revell kit. A 1/350th version for the Tamiya kit will eventually follow. I've decided not to do it for the Trumpy kit due to not having the kit in front of me to check for camber. I might do a tub without camber so the modeler can then use a sanding stick to adjust it to make it fit. We'll see.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:40 pm 

Should have mentioned it, the Trumpeter kit has a fantail 20-mm bulwark already. It won't represent every variant (in this case it was generally builder variation), but there is one there. The Tamiya and Revell kits don't have any three 20-mm bulwark.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:54 pm 

In that case, problem solved!

Here are the next set of images for the after tub. They're partially photo accurate, and partially Mark I eyeball. Some of the internal supports aren't perfectly symmetrical, port to starboard, as if the shipyard took a, "GET IT DONE," attitude, probably because Heerman was built with a 40mm tub there which was quickly removed and replaced with this 20mm structure. The differences are minor, but I can spot one or two. I chose to make the supports symmetrical for the sake of simplicity. The forward supports hidden in the photo above were guestimated based upon photos of other Fletchers but may well be wrong (help appreciated). They stick out slightly underneath the railing because otherwise they'd be too thin and tiny to print. They need to be attached to the interior of the splinter shielding, which is itself only 0.3mm thin. in order to print. The stanchions aren't that much thicker. It isn't the most elegant solution but it tends to get the job done and print.

I still need to add the blast protector and some surface detailing. Comments welcome!

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:20 am 

And, with the blast shield. It looks to be not quite as high as the shielding it sits atop, so I scaled it that way. Also, should the circular railing its sitting atop be deleted? I can't quite decide from the photo.

Thanks!

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:13 am 

Test prints for the above have been ordered.

Also, the 40mm ready barrel locker is done. The supports underneath are out of scale, but they're the smallest that can be done and still be printable. They appear to have just been U-shaped sheet metal. Shapeways says its printable. I'll make it into a part of four lockers and upload and order that by the weekend to check for accuracy. The little wing nut locks that should go atop the locking cylinders are too small to be printable. I know they're missing, but current technology won't allow them to be printed.

Sorry for not getting more done lately. My "real job" often seems to get in the way.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:29 am 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/T8X7J ... -144th-sca

After the test print comes, along with a few other goodies I'll order this weekend that I've been working on, I'll turn it on for ordering.

Bob

Report this post